What's new

will these NAS do this for me?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

calvinhobbs

New Around Here
I'm relatively new to networking and I am looking to get a 4 bay NAS for home, mostly for media streaming. Ones I'm looking at are the usual suspects:
QNAP 410, Synology DS410j, readynas NV+, thecus N4100 pro. I've trawled the forums and manufacturers websites but still not sure if they will do what I want...

1)I want one that I can add extra drives to as I build it up. Do they all have to be of the same size or can I have 2x 2TB drives and 2 x 1TB drives working together (prob raid 5)?

2) The Nas will be connected to wired (cat 5) sumivision mkv enclosure for playing my films (1-2 GB max, not really HD as yet), and to a few home computers on wired and wireless through a router. So Far so simple.

3) Can I gain access to the NAS and therefore all or some of the files on it, from the internet? I have family overseas etc and want to share certain (or all) files. Can they gain access to, and download from my NAS? Can I give read access only, so the files can be copied but not damaged? It's a pain having to send usb sticks off to Aus.

4) I'd like my NAS to host my work website too, not huge, 5 pages.

I'm sure there's loads of other features that'll be good but its the access thats the main one for me. Does anyone know if any of the above machines will do this? If they all will then great, I guess its down to personal preference, but I'd like to be sure before jumping in.

hope you can help...