What's new

Will this new router help me get speeds closer to my ISP plan?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

topmepp12

New Around Here
I'm wondering if I buy GT-AXE11000 - Amazon Link, will it improve my wireless speeds? From what I understand, I won't be able to take advantage of 6E for a while, but this new router seems to have better bandwidth and coverage, than my current router. I cannot hardwire, so trying to make the most use out of my 1gig plan. I see from reviews that people are getting 1,000+ mbps even when relatively far away from the router, while most people seem to be at around 500-600 mbps on my current router on wifi 6 devices using 5ghz

Please see below for my current setup. I was thinking I could also use my current router as an Asus Ai Mesh, if I bought the GT-AXE11000, as well.

Thanks for your time!

Plan: 1 gig up/down
Wired: 900 mbps
Wireless on 5ghz (next to router) 500 mbps, tested on iphone 13)
Current router: RT-AX88U
Coverage needed: 2,000 sqft, 1 level

Don't forget to upgrade your WiFi adapters. Router is only half of the equation.

Using AX210 adapters can get you beyond 1ge over WiFi and if you're running ADL CPU an AX411 can get you 1.5ge or higher in optimal settings.

Don't forget to upgrade your WiFi adapters. Router is only half of the equation.

Using AX210 adapters can get you beyond 1ge over WiFi and if you're running ADL CPU an AX411 can get you 1.5ge or higher in optimal settings.

Thanks for the response. Sadly running macs and no upgrade path to new adapters. I tired looking for external USB-C or Thunderbolt adapters for 6E but didn't find any

All you need is a USB m2 sled. TB adapters are going to be insane in price for what you can do for $50. There are some all in one usb adapters though that can do WiFi6 at least.

For the sled you should be looking on AliExpress as they have all of the oddities needed to make a 6E setup. There might be some slightly bulkier options if you look for M2 enclosures. There are also mac adapter cards that can be used as well. IIRC mac's use a mPCI with the notch moved over.

All you need is a USB m2 sled. TB adapters are going to be insane in price for what you can do for $50. There are some all in one usb adapters though that can do WiFi6 at least.

For the sled you should be looking on AliExpress as they have all of the oddities needed to make a 6E setup. There might be some slightly bulkier options if you look for M2 enclosures. There are also mac adapter cards that can be used as well. IIRC mac's use a mPCI with the notch moved over.
Interesting, will def. look into this. Great idea!

Yeah, I was looking into doing something with a 5G modem until I dig deeper and found the ISP binds the IMEI to the SIM. I was hoping to get a better modem and speeds. I might still export the ISP modem to an enclosure. Haven't decided on the best approach yet.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!