What's new

Will VPN work when connected to a USB 4G modem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sican

New Around Here
I have a question that I am hoping someone here can answer.
I have a Asus RT-88U router with asuswrt-merlin installed. I am interested in knowing if the VPN feature would still be working if connected to a USB 4G modem, and not a wired broadband? Basically switching from a normal broadband to a 4G USB modem would that cause the VPN to not be functioning?

I hope my question makes sense.

Can't see any reason why it would not work. But i can't recommend usb stick as primary connection.

Save a lot of hassle and buy dedicated 4g router and set it in bridge mode. If you are switching from dsl/vdsl to 4g/lte

Can't see any reason why it would not work. But i can't recommend usb stick as primary connection.

Save a lot of hassle and buy dedicated 4g router and set it in bridge mode. If you are switching from dsl/vdsl to 4g/lte

Nice, thanks for the advice. The reason I want to switch is faster connection, cheaper and I was hoping to get rid a router. So it might not be as good an idea.

I have a question that I am hoping someone here can answer.
I have a Asus RT-88U router with asuswrt-merlin installed. I am interested in knowing if the VPN feature would still be working if connected to a USB 4G modem, and not a wired broadband? Basically switching from a normal broadband to a 4G USB modem would that cause the VPN to not be functioning?

I hope my question makes sense.

The VPN Client feature will work, but the VPN Server feature most likely won’t as you will be using CG-NAT to obtain an IP address in most cases.

The VPN Client feature will work, but the VPN Server feature most likely won’t as you will be using CG-NAT to obtain an IP address in most cases.
Thanks, it is the client that I am interested in. I realize I wasn't being very precise.

Recently I discovered that client also may not work if the configuration is UDP. I don't know why, but my mobile operator does not allow UDP OpenVPN connections, while TCP are allowed.

I discovered this accidentally - I've changed my home router and re-defined the OpenVPN servers running on the home router. Then I wanted to test them while at home and did it by switching my laptop internet connection from router to 4G from mobile operator. TCP connection was successfull while UDP - not. I am using non-standard ports for both, so the problem is not just filtering the 1194. I really don't know why mobile operators may not like UDP ....