What's new

Windows 7 Striping instead of Intel ICH software RAID

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sammynl

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,

Recently bought a new rig, with the ASUS P9X79 motherboard. 2 Samsung 830 SSD's and 3 * 2TB 5400 SATA disks. I wanted these 3*2TB disks in RAID to make 1 big 6TB volume.

Initially I configured the 3*2TB disks as RAID0 on the onboard Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SATA RAID Controller. However all 6 SATA ports (2x6GB/sec for SSD and 4x3GB/sec for 2TB spinners) are all on the same controller. Not a big deal until I learned that SSD disks should be on AHCI and not RAID for best performance.

Solution: Configured the BIOS as AHCI and not as RAID and did not configure Intel ICH RAID on the 3*2TB disks but went to Windows7 striping instead.

ACHI Controller:

Stripeset:

Performance reading from E: (Windows7 stripeset) and writing to D: (SSD disk):

Other way around: reading from SSD and writing to Windows7 stripeset:

Conclusion: Stick to AHCI and use Windows7 striping! Abandon Intel Storage controller ICHx RAID and let Windows7 do the job!

ASUS P9X79 Sandy Bridge Motherboard, Intel Core i7-3820 CPU @ 3.6 GHz, Windows7 Ultimate X64, 2 * Samsung SSD830 256 GB, 3 * 2 TB Samsung 5400 SATA, 8*8 GB Corsair 1600 DDR-3.

Last edited:
Very interesting test you had conducted there..