What's new

Windows 12 Subscription? What the...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've never heard off this but it's in the air. Everything is on subscription. Cellphone, internet, tv, onedrive/office 365, music streaming, movie streaming, leasing cars, loan on houses and so forth. Like the idea is that people should not own anything, life is on subscription. Work or be homeless. What premium life can you afford?

What the...:eek:

They've actually been doing this with corporate since they changed from Office 365 to MS 365. Your "seat" now includes windows, office, and email for a monthly fee. I actually assumed that 11 would adopt this model for home users.

Honestly I would be surprised if they don't just make it part of MS 365 for home users too. They've effectively given windows 10 and 11 for free to everyone (even if you missed the initial free upgrade, any key from Windows 7 and up will activate them). It really seems they're concerned with keeping you on the ecosystem so they can sell you 365 and other features/addons.

Given that "every other" version of windows is good (98/98SE, XP, 7, 10) and the others are basically beta, 12 should be decent. We'll see.

I suspect the subscription model would be an option for only very specific scenarios, such as VDIs.

And Linux is not even remotely an option, for normal users.

Utter nonsense, millions of people around the world use Linux as their only OS without any problem at all.
Just because it is something you can't understand doesn't make it " not an option "

Utter nonsense, millions of people around the world use Linux as their only OS without any problem at all.
Just because it is something you can't understand doesn't make it " not an option "
Totally agree. I've got a Windows 11 Pro key on my microsoft account. I have a dual boot windows/Ubuntu laptop. This was satisfactory for me to continue working while I "learned" ubuntu. I choose ubuntu now, except at work where I can only use windows to handle documents on the office server. Given the choice, I'd be ubuntu all the way.
Windows Updates? (yawn)

What is utter nonsense is assuming what I understand or don't understand. And your assumption that anyone uses a single os in 2023 to work, play, or otherwise entertain themselves.

Millions of people are not even a fraction of a percentage point.

My statement is fact, not personal assumptions.

A subscription 'scare' for an operating system that has not been introduced yet, is not the same thing as dropping support for using keys from a 14+ year old os to activate a current one.

Yes, some rumors are based on truth.

Your examples are not even remotely relevant.

The link below is a relevant example of a rumor based on reality. And one that is likely to become true.

A subscription 'scare' for an operating system that has not been introduced yet, is not the same thing as dropping support for using keys from a 14+ year old os to activate a current one.
Wrong. They are same. The rumor about the KEYS has been moved around us for a long time. Now, it's true. You don't even know the key point. The point is not the SUBSCRIPTION but the RUMOR. You are always missing the point. That's so interesting. I think you just want to attack users at SNBFORUMS. You know what? It doesn't work for me. You are always humiliated by others, because of your strange acting.
You know about it very well. That's why you are always acting like that. I can repeat that it doesn't work.

Yes, some rumors are based on truth.

Your examples are not even remotely relevant.

The link below is a relevant example of a rumor based on reality. And one that is likely to become true.

That's just your own thought. Just believe what you believe. I believe what I believe. I never agree whatever you say. Do not try to inject your wrong and different thought to others. It doesn't work. From now on, you've been IGNORED. You are the first person who I ignored.
So disgusting.🤣

Last edited:
The rumor about the KEYS has been moved around us for a long time. Now, it's true.

As of now the keys still work so it is still a rumor, one that they've said many times over the past several years.

My statement is fact, not personal assumptions.

No, as usual it is YOUR opinion which you insist everyone else must follow.

You are rude, boring, boorish and usually wrong.

It is a waste of time and effort trying to have any discussion with any other member here because you do your utmost to take over every post and thread.
I would add a lot more but to save Mr. Higgins blushes I'll be another person to place you on ignore.

Time for you to check out Linux.

and then you run into this...

Reading thru the thread - I could imagine Windows going into some type of subscription model - one could get a basic functional install, similar to Windows S Mode - and a bump out of that to "Pro" functionality would be part of your annual subscription, similar to what we see now with Office365...

Ignore at your own risk.

Sounds like taking the ball home from the playground because you can't play at the same level as your peers. The truth is more important than any rumors. When you grow up, you'll understand.

Just because someone offers an opposing view, that isn't an attack. Some might call that a conversation. I've never been humiliated by others here, but I have been humiliated for them. Including a lot of your posts.

I've also never insisted I'm right, I present my perspective. Others here are the ones not accepting the flaws in their logic.

And yes, my opinion is the only true thing I can present. When backed with facts and logic, they become more.

If I am wrong, prove it. When I'm proved wrong, I admit it immediately, and usually state thank you for the new facts/perspective. As a matter of fact, that is how I build those posts of best practices. They're not mine, they are past nuggets of wisdom from multiple members of what continues to work, today.

Yes, from when I joined, I have read every post in every forum here. And I respond where I can. That is not 'taking over' that is being helpful. But your perspective is obviously biased.

@sfx2000, thanks for the link. The things MS gets blamed for (in rumors) are glossed over when other companies are actually doing those same things.

It is interesting how no matter what the facts are, i.e. 'give a large part of my spare time to helping others I'll never meet', is taken as rude, boring and boorish. Even though I'm right more times than not.

Carry on. I'm not here to be popular with you or others like you, I'm here to help and learn.

@sfx2000, thanks for the link. The things MS gets blamed for (in rumors) are glossed over when other companies are actually doing those same things.

Well - Office365 was recently renamed as Microsoft365 - so when you take the bigger picture, I could see some marketing happening - Win S Mode, then they up the ante with Office and Gaming with their captive apps, and a Pro upgrade to the Windows XX Pro we know and use now, where things are very open...

I certainly hope this doesn't happen, but I see good business reasons why it might...

Yes, that is one take on it.

But I prefer to see how it actually plays out. Rumors are boring and counterproductive.

My perspective? MS365 is immediately identified as a MS product, while 'office', is not.

Simple is usually closer to the truth. And further strengthens your branding.

And even if it changes in the future, it is not changing now.

Worrying about it won't affect the future outcome one iota.