What's new

Windows/Linux user very impressed with Apple router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

varxx

New Around Here
In recent months, I've tried high-end wifi routers from Netgear, Cisco-Linksys, DLink, Western Digital, Amped Wireless and ASUS. Except for the Western Digital (MyNet N900), none of them were reliable enough to sustain a busy household's home network of two desktops, several notebooks, a tablet, three smartphones, and frequent streaming to an HD television.

After a couple of months, though, the WD MyNet N900 began to let me down, perhaps because of an overheating problem. My unit is back at the factory now.

In desperation, I bought an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (5th gen.) at the local Best Buy, thinking that I might return it if WD is able to fix the problems with the MyNet N900. Surprisingly, the Airport Extreme has produced the most consistently high throughput of any of the routers I tried, and it hasn't dropped the signal a single time in over three weeks. Maybe I got an especially charmed unit, and maybe the other routers I tried were the only bad ones in the batch, but I couldn't be more impressed with this Apple router.

Because this model came out in mid 2011, it lacks a couple of the latest-and-greatest features of the most recent wifi routers, but its rock-solid performance and consistently high speed more than make up for that.

I'm not an Apple aficionado; I've used Windows for 20+ years and Linux for 10. But Apple got it right with this router.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!