What's new

wiping my pc - recommendations please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Make sure you don't run a Nuke on an SSD, you will screw the SSD.

SSD's usually have a secure reset function on the software that came with them
Mechanicals you can secure wipe with something like DBAN, bear in mind it takes hours though depending on the level and passes used.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how sophisticated the keylogger is.

And where it 'hooks' into the hardware. From the drive, BIOS, router, etc.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how sophisticated the keylogger is.

And where it 'hooks' into the hardware. From the drive, BIOS, router, etc.
The drive is the HDD so wiping, BIOS is the OS so reinstalling the OS and factory resetting the router would be the solution for each of the three you recommended. Correct me if I'm wrong so I can understand please.

I'm having trouble connecting to my routers wifi but until I connect to it I'll then wipe my HDD for my pc and re-install my OS "windows" and factory reset my router "UDM" then configure it. If the key-logger/rootkit is still in my pc and network after performing the actions I stated above then what would you recommend? Hopefully it will fix the problem but if it doesn't what would you consider. Some people have suggested the term nuking. Buying new equipment such as a router/pc etc to leave no possibility the key-logger/rootkit is present. Is there anything I could try before "nuking" if my first method doesn't work.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Buying new equipment such as a router/pc etc to leave no possibility the key-logger/rootkit is present.
I thought you already bought all new equipment the last 3 times we all went through your virus infections last year and a couple months ago. Back for round 7?

Last edited:
afaik no key logger would survive a SSD secure wipe, or HDD nuke, Bios reset of pc mobo and factory reset of router.

Nuke is just a term for over writing every single sector with a series of numbers on a mechanical HDD, 3 pass Dod Wipe is the miltary standard, anything above that is overkill.

A secure wipe on an SSD instructs the drive to wipe all stored electrons, essentially resetting it to factory level.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a troll thread.

Like this?

Interesting, surely this is fixable with a clean firmware flash?

If not then the OP, if he has a UEFI virus (which I doubt, there are so many if's involved in getting one) then it looks like a new motherboard is required. HD wipes stand.

Interesting, surely this is fixable with a clean firmware flash?

no - that's the challenge with rootkits like this...

UEFI is basically an OS in and of itself, with it's own file system... it can run it's own applications (the user interface you see in UEFI is an application)...

Someone has ported Doom to run inside of UEFI...

Actually these days it can - they can insert things into UEFI that cannot be removed on Windows machines...
So when you say windows machines you're referring to the hard ware not software, thats why wiping a hard drive won't remove the virus/rootkit. I don't know what im saying here so please educate me. What would you recommend I do. Sorry I'm awful with computers so this is new to me.

I'm wiped my HDD but someone in my house connected my pc into my router right after I wiped it so I didn't get a chance to configure my router which might have malware so I'm going to Wipe it again even tho I don't think it will work because of what happened when I tried wiping it. I noticed the hackers presence when it went into the wiping phase. The video I saw instructing me went right into the wiping process while mine lagged and was acting strange. Please don't harass me saying you want proof of a hacker. I just want advice and to learn on this site. Thanks again.

Last edited:
What would you recommend I do.

buy a chromebook - seriously...

The bootloaders are locked on them, and there's multiple layers of defense against malware and other attacks.

For routers - I would suggest Google Nest - again, more than secure enough. Locked bootloaders and signed code - any attempts to modify said code, signatures won't match, so they won't load the malware

buy a chromebook - seriously...

The bootloaders are locked on them, and there's multiple layers of defense against malware and other attacks.

For routers - I would suggest Google Nest - again, more than secure enough. Locked bootloaders and signed code - any attempts to modify said code, signatures won't match, so they won't load the malware
I’ll look into the chrome book thank you

I have a unifi dream machine do you think that’s a good router? I’ll reset it since there’s a very good chance there’s malware and that’ll get rid of any malware?

I have a unifi dream machine do you think that’s a good router? I’ll reset it since there’s a very good chance there’s malware and that’ll get rid of any malware?

Google WiFi and Nest Wifi are based on ChromeOS - unlike other consumer gear, they are very secure - they have a TPM module that signs the bootloaders and code inside the router itself.

ChromeOS is based on the same Linux google runs for their Cloud services - it's their version - and with the threat surface of google, you know they're on top of things...

Based on your previous posts - I really do feel that if ChromeOS on a Chromebook and Google's WiFi solutions can't secure your network and allay your concerns, then I would seriously recommend putting all your equipement into a pile in the backyard, get 5 gallons of gasoline and a match, and watch the viking funeral...

fire cleanses all

Google WiFi and Nest Wifi are based on ChromeOS - unlike other consumer gear, they are very secure - they have a TPM module that signs the bootloaders and code inside the router itself.

ChromeOS is based on the same Linux google runs for their Cloud services - it's their version - and with the threat surface of google, you know they're on top of things...

Based on your previous posts - I really do feel that if ChromeOS on a Chromebook and Google's WiFi solutions can't secure your network and allay your concerns, then I would seriously recommend putting all your equipement into a pile in the backyard, get 5 gallons of gasoline and a match, and watch the viking funeral...

fire cleanses all
So the difference between windows and chrome is that if they both get hacked chrome can be resolved and windows can’t? What if I don’t configure my firewall correctly that’s my big worry not the os

Last edited:
I have 120 chromebooks for business use, used and abused by different people. No one managed to crack the code.
Are you saying they can’t be hacked? What if someone is trying to hack me and I don’t configure my firewall correctly? The chrome os won’t stop a hacker if I don’t configure a firewall right

Last edited: