What's new

Wired APs - Same SSID+Roaming vs different SSIDs+no roaming?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Simcard

New Around Here
Hi all,

I currently use a rt-ac88u and recently purchased 2x Rt-ax86u after upgrading my internet speed to 1gbps.

My plan is to use a ax86u as the main router, the other ax86u as an AP upstairs and the older ac88u as another access point downstairs. Both AP will be wired to the router.

(Not daisy chained)
Router => AP1 (wired)
Router => AP2 (wired)

I understand that APs should have the same SSID but different channels in order to allow roaming to work.
My concern is whether roaming will actually work well or whether the AP from downstairs will cling on to clients that have since moved upstairs.

Has roaming improved? Is there a general guideline for settings and how to set up roaming efficiently?

I don't suspect I'll need a 2.4ghz signal as 5ghz across 3 points should suffice, so no need for smartconnect and switching between 2.4 and 5ghz.

If roaming isn't a great idea still, should I have each AP on a different SSID/channel, so the user can chose which AP to connect to? (This wouldn't be possible if all SSIDs are named the same I assume?)

Thanks

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!