What's new

Wired Home Network Latency

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kahb00m

New Around Here
Hello all, my apologies if this is in the wrong forum - I think I found one that kind of fits my issue. I'll try to be as explicit and detailed as possible, first let me detail the equipment involved and any modifications I've made from factory:

Charter Spectrum Cable Internet - 65Mbps

Motorola SB6121 Cable Modem

Downstream Power Levels -3/-4/-3/-4 (dBmV)

Downstream Signal:Noise - 36dB/36dB/36dB/36dB

Upstream Power - 41dBmV

(All Modem readings stay within acceptable limits during periods of latency)

Netgear WNDR3700 Wireless Router - Admin, WPA2 & Wireless secured, DNS Servers changed to Google/OpenDNS

Symptoms:

Mostly during late peak hours (~8:30-9pm EST) I get noticeable latency on our entire network. I test by running constant pings to our Modem and Router, when the latency starts, I get local pings around 100ms-500ms. The Desktops are connected to a Gigabit Netgear switch with Cat5e/Cat6, and the switch is connected to the Router through a Cat6 cable I made, crimped, and tested myself when we moved into the house this year. The Router is connected to the Modem via a 3' Cat6 cable.

Troubleshooting steps taken:

Charter tech called when signal levels were slightly off a few weeks back, he removed a filter from the line up the street and put a splitter in between the line and the modem to straighten our signal out.

The latency shouldn't be related to network activity, as the pings I'm concerned about are high(100-500ms) even to the local router & modem. Last night's latency happened when only our Phones, iPads, and my Desktop was connected to the network. I verified this through the Router's GUI.

The cable I made that runs from the switch to the router tested fine both when I made the cable, and when I tested it before Charter came out to check on the signal levels. I'm going to seal up the small exposed slit in the covering of the cable from where I pulled the tear string down to open it - just in case - but the latency isn't constant or nearly reliable enough to seem like a cabling issue.

Last night when the latency started, I restarted both the Cable Modem and the Router. It cleared up for about 5 minutes, then returned. Waiting it out doesn't seem to work, but I haven't had patience beyond 30 minutes yet. On a whim, I left both ping windows open to both the Router and Modem, then restarted only the Modem - as soon as the Modem restarted, the ping on the Router dropped to <1ms. It stayed that way for the rest of the night.

I can't imagine this is in any way related to changing the DNS servers on the router, the reason I changed them was because Charter's DNS servers have died for an entire evening two times since March. My Networking knowledge tells me that if I'm pinging the Router & Modem via their IP addresses, there should be no DNS involved. Perhaps I'll change it back anyway.

Finally, on the off chance my Modem or Router have decided to start acting up (the modem is ~2 years old, the router is ~4) I'm going to pick up a SB6141 Modem and a Netgear R6400 today after work if I can't think of anything else by then to just shotgun the issue.

If anyone can think of anything that could cause this kind of sporadic LOCAL latency to direct IP pings, please comment, any help would be great.

Hello all, my apologies if this is in the wrong forum - I think I found one that kind of fits my issue. I'll try to be as explicit and detailed as possible, first let me detail the equipment involved and any modifications I've made from factory:

Charter Spectrum Cable Internet - 65Mbps

Motorola SB6121 Cable Modem

Downstream Power Levels -3/-4/-3/-4 (dBmV)

Downstream Signal:Noise - 36dB/36dB/36dB/36dB

Upstream Power - 41dBmV

(All Modem readings stay within acceptable limits during periods of latency)

Netgear WNDR3700 Wireless Router - Admin, WPA2 & Wireless secured, DNS Servers changed to Google/OpenDNS

Symptoms:

Mostly during late peak hours (~8:30-9pm EST) I get noticeable latency on our entire network. I test by running constant pings to our Modem and Router, when the latency starts, I get local pings around 100ms-500ms. The Desktops are connected to a Gigabit Netgear switch with Cat5e/Cat6, and the switch is connected to the Router through a Cat6 cable I made, crimped, and tested myself when we moved into the house this year. The Router is connected to the Modem via a 3' Cat6 cable.

Troubleshooting steps taken:

Charter tech called when signal levels were slightly off a few weeks back, he removed a filter from the line up the street and put a splitter in between the line and the modem to straighten our signal out.

The latency shouldn't be related to network activity, as the pings I'm concerned about are high(100-500ms) even to the local router & modem. Last night's latency happened when only our Phones, iPads, and my Desktop was connected to the network. I verified this through the Router's GUI.

The cable I made that runs from the switch to the router tested fine both when I made the cable, and when I tested it before Charter came out to check on the signal levels. I'm going to seal up the small exposed slit in the covering of the cable from where I pulled the tear string down to open it - just in case - but the latency isn't constant or nearly reliable enough to seem like a cabling issue.

Last night when the latency started, I restarted both the Cable Modem and the Router. It cleared up for about 5 minutes, then returned. Waiting it out doesn't seem to work, but I haven't had patience beyond 30 minutes yet. On a whim, I left both ping windows open to both the Router and Modem, then restarted only the Modem - as soon as the Modem restarted, the ping on the Router dropped to <1ms. It stayed that way for the rest of the night.

I can't imagine this is in any way related to changing the DNS servers on the router, the reason I changed them was because Charter's DNS servers have died for an entire evening two times since March. My Networking knowledge tells me that if I'm pinging the Router & Modem via their IP addresses, there should be no DNS involved. Perhaps I'll change it back anyway.

Finally, on the off chance my Modem or Router have decided to start acting up (the modem is ~2 years old, the router is ~4) I'm going to pick up a SB6141 Modem and a Netgear R6400 today after work if I can't think of anything else by then to just shotgun the issue.

If anyone can think of anything that could cause this kind of sporadic LOCAL latency to direct IP pings, please comment, any help would be great.
Latency aside what is the speed test result? Tried with default DNS?

The speed test comes back at 65 Mb down 5 Mb up reliably on Charter's as well as Google/open DNS. I will have to run a speed test when the latency has hit the next time to see if my speeds are affected at the same time.

I can however say with certainty that all network traffic is affected by the latency, local AND Internet.

The speed test comes back at 65 Mb down 5 Mb up reliably on Charter's as well as Google/open DNS. I will have to run a speed test when the latency has hit the next time to see if my speeds are affected at the same time.

I can however say with certainty that all network traffic is affected by the latency, local AND Internet.

I assume the ping result is average value I guess when you ping continuously. Stay with default DNS for a while too.

I assume the ping result is average value I guess when you ping continuously. Stay with default DNS for a while too.

Ping results during latency ranged wildly from 100ms to over 500ms to both the router AND modem. I went ahead and bought a R6400 & SB6141 over lunch. I'm setting up the new router before I get home, and keeping default ISP DNS. Thank you for responding Tony, I appreciate it.

100 ms is kind of high for pinging another host on the same LAN... should be seeing around 200-250 us on average.. even to the first hop on the WAN side after the cable modem I'm seeing on average around 8.8ms

Maybe the switch?

even hitting google and facebook i'm not see 100ms...

see below

latency_wan.png

So you see local slowness at some times but not others?

Any chance another device is consuming lots of bandwidth? A neighbor jumping on your wifi?

Your router might be able to show usage by client. Another option would be start disconnecting cables and or change wifi passwords.

How about running command 'ping localhost' from each device? Time should be lot less than 1ms.(pretty well instant)

Last edited: