What's new

Wired LAN between main router and AiMesh node stay at 100 Mbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Unfortunately that also means you'll have frequency overlap which is a bad thing. An AP node is extremely easy to manage. I manage 5 and after selecting the frequencies for each I pretty much can ignore them. I will periodically wander around with a tool like WiFI Analyzer just to check...

Before that was what I did and what I thought .
And now after few first tests with Aismesh network, I clearly noted an improvement, when I am on a FaceTime call, I can walk from one area to another area without any perturbation or glitch on the call, before with AP that was not as perfect (that was like if the phone was reluctant to change channels).
Yes they are all all on overlap, I don't know how they manage that but that seems to work very well.
Now that takes more time, to have a more precise opinion based on experience and not theory.

Unfortunately that also means you'll have frequency overlap which is a bad thing.

No, you have to have APs range overlap in order to maintain clients' connection. About -60dBm/-65dBm should be good enough for roaming, different manufacturers have slightly different recommendations. AiMesh is not perfect and was introduced way before it was ready, but now it supports 802.11k/v with /r in the works, including upcoming (hopefully) Guest Network functionality between nodes. Information as per @RMerlin and he knows better than anyone else on this forum what is going on in ASUS kitchen. So the development is moving in the right direction.

I have to admit one thing - AiMesh is an excellent marketing strategy how to sell a second (or even third) ASUS router to customers who already have one ASUS router. ASUS Lyra was not very successful on the market and other manufacturers picked-up speed very quickly with multiple home mesh solutions. AiMesh is something that may literally save the business for ASUS. And I really hope they manage to make it work properly, because a software solution using existing hardware will benefit both ASUS and the customers. It doesn't matter if it's real mesh technology or centralized management of APs. What matters is how it works in real life and if it's comparable to what is available from competitors.

Yes, better technologies and implementation do exist in prosumer and business segment, but the price is a big factor on consumer market. Not every home customer is ready to spend >$600 for UniFi, Omada, Aironet, etc... and this is the cost to start only. If you need @Smokindog more control, options are always available. Just bring your wallet. The ability to extend an existing network by purchasing <$100 RT-AC66U B1 router is tempting. The price of this router is comparable to the price of common good quality AC WiFi extenders and it integrates to the existing setup better, even if it does exactly the same thing.

I did say in another thread that I do not recommend ASUS routers anymore. I have my own reasons for that. In case someone wants to build a new mesh system, there are better options IMHO, both hardware and software. In case someone already has an ASUS router though (AiMesh compatible), I'm not going to tell the guy to throw it away and start over. AiMesh was bad at introduction and still has issues, but I see development going on and improvement. As a technical person I have to give ASUS credit for that. This technology is competing with ASUS own mesh systems and will probably kill Lyra completely, so I'm pretty sure they will do the necessary to make it work right. The sooner, the better for them.

I said FREQUENCY overlap. AiMesh requires all radios in the "mesh" be at the SAME FREQUENCIES (band specific of course). In AP mode you can follow best practices and assign non-overlapping frequencies.

It's your explanation of RANGE overlap that highlights how FREQUENCY overlap is a bad thing. Lot's of real good material on the web as to why this is so.

Also, there is nothing that necessarily limits the new K/V/R firmware additions to AiMesh only.

As to guest networks, the behavior on the main node is identical and you can choose to open them in the APs but not in AiMesh. Isolation is the issue. If they build in isolation mechanisms you can't just assume that will only be for AiMesh. In fact, their track record says if anything it will be on the AP mode before AiMesh but I won't make the same mistake and assume anything.

I'm confused on your comment on the AC66 .... Again, your comments support my premise for AP mode being preferable if you've got a wire. I even use an old N66 as an outdoor AP in my setup.

My point is and will remain, if you've got a wire for backhaul there is nothing that AiMesh adds to your setup other than a GUI to distribute a limited configuration which constricts your functionality and introduce issues such as frequency overlap. If you're willing to accept that then no one should stand in your way.

I don't have a dog in the hunt and don't really care. I just like to see all the facts put out, not assumptions nor hyperbole, so people can make informed decisions.

Thanks for the help!

No, you have to have APs range overlap in order to maintain clients' connection. About -60dBm/-65dBm should be good enough for roaming, different manufacturers have slightly different recommendations. AiMesh is not perfect and was introduced way before it was ready, but now it supports 802.11k/v with /r in the works, including upcoming (hopefully) Guest Network functionality between nodes. Information as per @RMerlin and he knows better than anyone else on this forum what is going on in ASUS kitchen. So the development is moving in the right direction.

I have to admit one thing - AiMesh is an excellent marketing strategy how to sell a second (or even third) ASUS router to customers who already have one ASUS router. ASUS Lyra was not very successful on the market and other manufacturers picked-up speed very quickly with multiple home mesh solutions. AiMesh is something that may literally save the business for ASUS. And I really hope they manage to make it work properly, because a software solution using existing hardware will benefit both ASUS and the customers. It doesn't matter if it's real mesh technology or centralized management of APs. What matters is how it works in real life and if it's comparable to what is available from competitors.

Yes, better technologies and implementation do exist in prosumer and business segment, but the price is a big factor on consumer market. Not every home customer is ready to spend >$600 for UniFi, Omada, Aironet, etc... and this is the cost to start only. If you need @Smokindog more control, options are always available. Just bring your wallet. The ability to extend an existing network by purchasing <$100 RT-AC66U B1 router is tempting. The price of this router is comparable to the price of common good quality AC WiFi extenders and it integrates to the existing setup better, even if it does exactly the same thing.

I did say in another thread that I do not recommend ASUS routers anymore. I have my own reasons for that. In case someone wants to build a new mesh system, there are better options IMHO, both hardware and software. In case someone already has an ASUS router though (AiMesh compatible), I'm not going to tell the guy to throw it away and start over. AiMesh was bad at introduction and still has issues, but I see development going on and improvement. As a technical person I have to give ASUS credit for that. This technology is competing with ASUS own mesh systems and will probably kill Lyra completely, so I'm pretty sure they will do the necessary to make it work right. The sooner, the better for them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help!

You're welcome. I have a setup with 2 x APs on the same frequency, with 802.11k/v/r controller assisted roaming, range overlapping at -60dBm and about 20 extremely happy WiFi clients. If I set the APs on different channels, there is noticeable re-connection gap, not present when APs are on the same channels. Clients are different, some don't switch channels as fast as we want. We are talking about 2-3 APs here in a home setup, not a corporate network with 20-30 APs with 20MHz channels and channel management to make them co-exist as a mesh system. There is theory and practice. Both apply in specific cases, there is no universal solution. AiMesh with 2 routers on the same channels works good enough for what AiMesh is intended to be.

What tool are you using to measure this?

You're welcome. I have a setup with 2 x APs on the same frequency, with 802.11k/v/r controller assisted roaming, range overlapping at -60dBm and about 20 extremely happy WiFi clients. If I set the APs on different channels, there is noticeable re-connection gap, not present when APs are on the same channels. Clients are different, some don't switch channels as fast as we want. We are talking about 2-3 APs here in a home setup, not a corporate network with 20-30 APs with 20MHz channels and channel management to make them co-exist as a mesh system. There is theory and practice. Both apply in specific cases, there is no universal solution. AiMesh with 2 routers on the same channels works good enough for what AiMesh is intended to be.

What tool are you using to measure this?

Very sophisticated one, available to every home user - my eyes. There is a visible difference in behavior between APs on the same channels, on different channels, with network controller on/off. Using my eyes I can tell how mobile clients behave - Samsung Galaxy Phone/Pad, Apple iPhone/iPad, LG phone, HP and Lenovo laptops with Intel and Realtek network adapters, etc. For stationary clients like PCs and TVs there is obviously no difference. I do have access to professional equipment for network management, but it's not needed in most cases for home setups. The best home setup with few APs is the one that works best as user experience with existing clients in specific environment. And what works best in my case is described above. I can make changes to the setup at any time I want, it's right here in front of me. If I go to a company 1h drive away and I need to setup few floors with APs, then I'll use a different approach.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!