What's new

Wireguard and NordVPN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Interesting thread.

My max ISP throughput is 629 Mbps down - according to the built-in Ookla Speedtest (yes, with WireGuard sessions connected)

I use other routers for domestic, non-VPN traffic. My AX88U is dedicated to tunnels.

Unfortunately, the AX88U is also h/w limited to a max of 2 concurrent VPN sessions - WireGuard in my case.

Both VPN tunnels deliver approx. 250 Mpbs down throughput - much more than I need. Low latency is more important.

Can’t wait to try a new, high-end Asus router with 388 firmware - hoping that the max VPN connection limit is increased to 4 or 5.

4 concurrent WireGuard sessions is what I’m looking for. Then I will even upgrade to a 1 Gbps fibre service.

Classic troll behaviour.

I took a look at post #18

My post is not equipment related.

Stop trying to control the narrative.

I'm trying to save you the disappointment. Go ahead and learn from own mistakes, no problem.

4 concurrent WireGuard sessions is what I’m looking for. Then I will even upgrade to a 1 Gbps fibre service.
As it has already been repeated many times, Wireguard is not compatible with hardware NAT acceleration. Your 1 Gbps service will be capped at around 350 Mbps if you try to use Wireguard - and that's pure NAT throughout outside of the VPN, not even VPN throughput, which will be even lower.

This is what I'm trying to warn @princi about in several threads, but he's hoping new Asus routers with 388 firmware fix this limitation. The router he is looking at most often AX11000 is based on the same hardware as AX86U and WireGuard still disables Flow Cache in 388 impacting WAN performance. I don't expect this to be "fixed" any time soon. I would also run OpenVPN instead and the speed is more than enough for what he needs VPN for.

I’m listening, I just don’t agree. I don’t think you understand my use case, even though I’ve tried to communicate it many times.

Personally, I think you are just trying to demonise WireGuard - you’re running a fear campaign to try protect your precious OpenVPN.

I’m more than capable of determining what works best for me. I just need the h/w to test it on.

@princi

I wouldn't count on being able to run more than 2 tunnels of any VPN on a consumer product. You'll need to step up to something more substantial in terms of HW to get beyond the generic cheap stuff marketed towards the sheep.

The other option would be keep adding Asus boxes per pairs of VPN connections until you can't.

I don't quite get why you need so many connections unless you're tying a bunch of sites together for a particular reason. PM me if you want some options.