What's new

Wireguard Server On Android Phone with DDNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vegaa

New Around Here
Hi All,

I have been trying to figure out a way to turn a old android phone in to a vpn server. ive tried to setup both openvpn and Wireguard server (my preferred option for speed and sec) but i cant figure out how to get configure the server settings on the phone to allow me to use dynamic dns or update automatically on ip change.

The phone will be shipped abroad so i wont be able to access it.

Has anyone got WireGuard on Android with Dynamic DNS working ?

Unless the phone connects over mobile, this won't work. If it connects over Wifi, then the router will need a port forward configured.

I'm pretty sure it won't work over mobile. Most mobile operators don't allow any services running and some use CG-NAT or straight IPv6. Too many variables and road blocks with different workarounds or simply not possible. I would say it may eventually work on Wi-Fi, local ISP and router configured.

It will be a lot easier to use something like this - it has WG and OVPN client/server apps installed, and they have a cloud service that can help in your setup, including DDNS and NAT traversal.

Much better than trying to repurpose an old android handset - they're not really meant to be servers, but they are still useful perhaps as client devices - old being relative, as I would consider anything older than Android 8 (Oreo) and should be 4G or later - both for performance and security...

I'm pretty sure it won't work over mobile. Most mobile operators don't allow any services running and some use CG-NAT or straight IPv6. Too many variables and road blocks with different workarounds or simply not possible. I would say it may eventually work on Wi-Fi, local ISP and router configured.

Tailscale can help with traversing that mess - but as mentioned, between inbound services being filters for both IPv4 and IPv6, and the CGNAT issues, it can be a real challenge when trying to actually do something like this.

The GL-inet Mudi device I mentioned earlier in the thread goes a long way towards getting to OP's objective...

If we know more details about the use case of this VPN server more options may eventually show, but nothing is guaranteed without knowing where this device (phone or other) will connect and what eventual limitations this connection has.

Thanks all,

Ive tried to use TailScale and ZeroTier on previous attempts they work however not as good as wireguard ive found from a previous visit to my family members home abroad, they drop to many packets so file transfer or rdp kept dropping.

ive read i can get nordvpn and they have a mesh network feature now but its limited to 5 devices on the account and also i dont trust nordvpn haha and they are very expensive

im essentially wanting a multi home lan (forgive me if what i need is called sd wan) which will also allow my family abroad to use my lan and me to use their wan ip and use cases include being able to rdp to their laptops ( remote desktop software like TeamViewer keep thinking im a business), we also want to be able to share photos and videos, im thinking of using selfhost nextcloud or prism and many more.

the reason i wanted to use a android phone was for a few reasons including non stable electric so having a low powered device with a inbuilt battery, no need for further costs be a hardware vpn since ive seen on youtube previously but if im spending that kind of money would a pi alt not be more cost effective to allow me to run some docker containers on it along with wireguard which probs is alot easier but again no budget for that.

further details on the remote network its a national isp with basic huawei router.
if its not possible on a android phone i was thinking of using a good but old asus router which also supports asus merlin but at that point i might aswell buy two to mesh them as their wifi is currently trash as their have thick walls and ceilings so cant get wifi to their second floor but i cant find any asus routers which support asus merlin and are under £150 for two devices.

Last edited: