What's new

Wireless N Mixed Mode and repeater mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kiko

New Around Here
Hey there,

I was wondering about the following:

If I have my WRT320N in Mixed Mode (a/b/g/n) and have another AP WAP54G connected to it in Repeater mode (G capable only) where G clients are connected to the WAP54G, would the N performance (at 2.4GHz) of the 320N decrease if several N clients connect to the 320N along with the other AP?

Thank you for your time

Last edited:
The WAP54G operates at G speeds, regardless of whether it is doing WDS or acting as a client. So when there is simultaneous G and N traffic, both will be affected.

similar question...

Not trying to steal your thread, just think my question is similar...

Does it make sense to use a wireless bridge on a G only router when your main router is set to N only? I know it works fine if the two routers are hard-wired together, but not sure if it can be done wirelessly.

Here's my situation. I have an old WRT54g v2.2 with DD-WRT xxx24 sp2 that has been my main router for several years. I recently purchased a Linksys 310N v1.1 and installed the same DD-WRT firmware. I now plan on making the 310N my main router and using the 54G as a wireless client bridge / AP (with DD-WRT it is possible to be both an AP and a bridge).

I currently have the routers connected and working in unison as intended - sort of. So far, the WRT54G only works as a wireless bridge and an AP when both routers are set to the same wireless channel and both operate in mixed mode. (I'm also using the same SSID and encryption - WPA2 AES)

But, what I'd really like, is to have the 310N work only in N mode and the 54G work only in G mode - each as their own separate network, but still connected to each other wirelessly? Is that possible. If I change those settings, will wireless clients connected to my 54G still be able to receive a valid IP from the 310N? On the same note, would anything off of the wireless G bridge/AP still be able to share files on my main pc that is hard wired to the 310N?

But, what I'd really like, is to have the 310N work only in N mode and the 54G work only in G mode - each as their own separate network, but still connected to each other wirelessly? Is that possible
Since you have everything, I would think you'd already have tried this and found that it won't work.

If you have the 310N set to N mode, only N-capable clients (or WDS partners) will be able to connect.

I recently got back to the U.S. and am waiting for my Uverse account setup (it took 2 weeks to get someone to come out and install everything) so I haven't actually been able to check and see if everything is working (Internet connectivity, file sharing, etc.) I do know that the routers are talking to each other just fine - just not sure about file sharing between the two.

I didn't think it would, but then I came across this link on DD-WRT which says that particular WDS setup should work...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_multiple_router_setup

I actually only want Wireless N clients to connect to the N router and wireless G clients to connect to the G router. However, I'm hoping that since the Wireless G router is using the N router as it's gateway and the wireless G clients are obtaining their IP leases from the N router, wireless clients on the G router might still be able to connect back to a pc that has been hard wired to the N router (just as if the two routers were hard wired together).

I plan on trying it when I get home. I don't expect it to work, but it seems feasible to me. Otherwise, why create a WDS in the first place?

Last edited:
You said you want to set the N router to N only mode. If you do that, the G router should not be able to connect wirelessly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!