What's new

Wiring new apartment - need advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DKuo

Occasional Visitor
Hi all, new member here, learnt a lot from reading all the threads, thanks so much. Need your advice - moving into a new apartment soon and lay the apartment with Cat 6a as I am getting a 10G internet connection (I know its probably an overkill for the time being but I don't have much patience plus prepare for the future, right?). Also, bought multiple Cisco SX-350X 10G switches. Based on my research, there's currently only 1 WiFi 6 router that has 10G port in the market (Asus RT-AX89X), so planning to connect the 10G modem via the 10G RJ45 port on the router and then to the switch via the SFP+ port on the router. Will connect the different switches in different rooms via Cat 6a cable as well. Also, got a couple of Asus RT-AX88U to put into different rooms and connect to the switch with Cat6a cable to build a hard wire mesh network. While I understand RT-AX88U doesn't have any 10G port so not able to take full advantage of the 10G internet connection and 10G switch but given only plan to watch a bit of Apple TV and use iPhone and iPad in the rooms, should be ok (plus that will allow me to upgrade to WiFi6E router in the future and hopefully take full advantage of the 10G internet connection and 10G switches). Am I doing things correctly? Also, does it matter whether the CAT6a cable is shielded or not? Thanks for everyone's time and advice in advance. Please stay safe and healthy.

I would say play it safe and use shielded cables for cable runs. Chances are it'll follow the same path as electric cables etc, and it would be a nuisance to come back and realise you need to rip it all out and start again.
It all sounds pretty overkill, but if you've got the money why not! Could be worth looking at the ax86u instead of ax88u as that has a 2.5Gb port, or as you say wait for 6E which should hopefully have a wider range of routers with multigig.
Ax88u supports link aggregation which could be an option, but you might need to set them up in AP mode instead of aimesh.

10 gig internet? Damn!!!

I would say play it safe and use shielded cables for cable runs. Chances are it'll follow the same path as electric cables etc, and it would be a nuisance to come back and realise you need to rip it all out and start again.
It all sounds pretty overkill, but if you've got the money why not! Could be worth looking at the ax86u instead of ax88u as that has a 2.5Gb port, or as you say wait for 6E which should hopefully have a wider range of routers with multigig.
Ax88u supports link aggregation which could be an option, but you might need to set them up in AP mode instead of aimesh.

10 gig internet? Damn!!!
Thanks so much for your advice, really appreciated. Will look into AX86U and study more about AP as I understand it requires quite a bit more setup compare to Aimesh, right? Thanks again and please stay safe and healthy!

If your local code allows it, you might want to consider putting the Cat6a cable in smurf tubes. Then in X years' time, when Cat8 comes along, it will be easy to pull the new Cat8 cable through the existing tubes.

(I use Cat8 just as an example, it could also be some form of fibre, if/when it becomes less expensive and easier to install.)

If your local code allows it, you might want to consider putting the Cat6a cable in smurf tubes. Then in X years' time, when Cat8 comes along, it will be easy to pull the new Cat8 cable through the existing tubes.

(I use Cat8 just as an example, it could also be some form of fibre, if/when it becomes less expensive and easier to install.)
Got it, thanks so much for your advice. Please stay safe and healthy!

if you actually consider fiber, make sure any conduit/smurf tube complies with the minimum bend radius for the specific fiber during the install. Otherwise, the fiber can be damaged.

Cables also have this, but it is much tighter radius.

if you actually consider fiber, make sure any conduit/smurf tube complies with the minimum bend radius for the specific fiber during the install. Otherwise, the fiber can be damaged.

Cables also have this, but it is much tighter radius.
Understood, fibre not an option at this stage but will keep that in mind, thanks for the advice. Please stay safe and healthy!

@DKuo - If you are thinking smurf tube, I'd try and go fiber, with pre-terminated, bend-insensitive single-mode and some lube (like Polywater F or similar). This gives you 100Gb-capable backbone without having to touch those runs again (just upgrade your switching). Additionally, I'd stack the 350X's for easier management, if you hadn't planned on it already (can stack up to four in a stack group).

Last edited:
Hi all, new member here, learnt a lot from reading all the threads, thanks so much. Need your advice - moving into a new apartment soon and lay the apartment with Cat 6a as I am getting a 10G internet connection (I know its probably an overkill for the time being but I don't have much patience plus prepare for the future, right?). Also, bought multiple Cisco SX-350X 10G switches. Based on my research, there's currently only 1 WiFi 6 router that has 10G port in the market (Asus RT-AX89X), so planning to connect the 10G modem via the 10G RJ45 port on the router and then to the switch via the SFP+ port on the router. Will connect the different switches in different rooms via Cat 6a cable as well. Also, got a couple of Asus RT-AX88U to put into different rooms and connect to the switch with Cat6a cable to build a hard wire mesh network. While I understand RT-AX88U doesn't have any 10G port so not able to take full advantage of the 10G internet connection and 10G switch but given only plan to watch a bit of Apple TV and use iPhone and iPad in the rooms, should be ok (plus that will allow me to upgrade to WiFi6E router in the future and hopefully take full advantage of the 10G internet connection and 10G switches). Am I doing things correctly? Also, does it matter whether the CAT6a cable is shielded or not? Thanks for everyone's time and advice in advance. Please stay safe and healthy.

I think with 10 gig you can run all the wireless APs you want. I don't know what the limits are on the ASUS RT-AX89X but you will be able to find them.

I would just run CAT6a unshielded as the runs in a small apartment will not be very far. It will be easy and if you move again you can take it with you. I would buy good copper wire CAT cables. Yes the SX-350X-8, 8 port L3 switch is fairly cheap.

@DKuo - If you are thinking smurf tube, I'd try and go fiber, with pre-terminated, bend-insensitive single-mode and some lube (like Polywater F or similar). This gives you 100Gb-capable backbone without having to touch those runs again (just upgrade your switching). Additionally, I'd stack the 350X's for easier management, if you hadn't planned on it already (can stack up to four in a stack group).
Got it, thanks for the advice, I have to admit I don’t know enough about all the different fiber standard so will need to research and study more, at this stage, will stick with Cat6a but really appreciate your advice, pls stay safe and healthy.

I think with 10 gig you can run all the wireless APs you want. I don't know what the limits are on the ASUS RT-AX89X but you will be able to find them.

I would just run CAT6a unshielded as the runs in a small apartment will not be very far. It will be easy and if you move again you can take it with you. I would buy good copper wire CAT cables. Yes the SX-350X-8, 8 port L3 switch is fairly cheap.
Understood, thanks for the advice, will definitely get quality CAT cables. Please stay safe and healthy!

I have an RT AX89X with 10G over a 70ft Cat 6 cable to a Netgear GS110MX (10 * GE & 2 10G) working with no problem.
The GS110MX connects to a ROG GT-AC5300 mesh node, an RT AC68U with a NAS on the second 10G link.
if you want a second 10G wired port, there are fibre to cable adapters.
The main WAN connection is GigE, with the option to combine either 10G or 10SFP, so there are plenty of options for today and the future.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!