What's new

wndr3700 plus outdoor antenna for long range bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

filmshoot

New Around Here
hi,
I've searched...and come up a bit short.

I have the wndr3700 - i bought it due to the high reviews, but specifically for the dual band and multiple ssid support. also, due to the awesome DIY's on this site that helped me bridge it to my d-link for my wired ethernet network on a guest ssid....

now I need to shoot a guest network signal over to my office place about 4 blocks away.

due to the internal antennas...and the lack of success by anyone to find a way to hack them...

is there any other way that I can bridge this wndr3700 to an access point a few blocks down?

can I use the ubiquiti nanostation M5?
http://www.google.com/search?q=Ubiq...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

also, I was wondering if I could just plug a repeater into the Cat5 port on my wndr3700? is this possible? Is there such a thing? I've seen the hawking dual n repeater but it seems like it repeats the wifi signal.. I was looking for a cleaner solution, one where a clean cat5 signal is going into the repeater, and that gets shot to the AP which distributes at my office.

Last edited:
4 blocks?!?

You're better just getting a good internet connection at both locations and creating a vpn..or using remote access software.

(just my 2 cents).

Hopefully Tim will respond as I'm curious if such a thing is possible.

You're not going to make that long a shot without clear line of sight and with
dedicated bridges. You need to get the antennas outdoors, too and the WNDR3700 doesn't support external antennas.

You could use a pair of Ubiquiti Bullets connected to high gain panel antennas or maybe Nanostations.

thanks for your response...

so the bullet / nanostations can I use those with the wndr3700?

the problem with having internet access at the other location is that it is over the railroad tracks in a really old part of town that doesn't have cable.

my house has cable.

I think I can get a semi clear line of site if I put the antenna's outdoors and up on poles.

there might be some trees in the path though..

You can use any pair of wireless bridges with the WNDR3700 since they connect via Ethernet on both ends.

Clear line of sight means just that. Nothing in between, especially trees.

You might be better off considering 3G or 4G wireless.

ok thanks...

are there any wireless bridges that are outdoor weatherproof, that can project a strong signal that you recommend??

Already suggested Ubiquiti products a few posts back. Stevech's Engenius suggestions are also good.

But again, you MUST have a clear, unobstructed line of sight between the two bridges. Otherwise you will not get a stable link at that distance.

I thought that the wireless N signal can transmit farther than B/G ??

those recommended bridges don't transmit /receive in N.

any thoughts on this?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!