What's new

WNDR3700 will not connect with HP G50 using encryption

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Charlie50

New Around Here
Hi, in desperation I'm trying to find out what else I can do to solve this irritating problem. Briefly, I was replacing my WRT54GS with WNDR3700 to get increased range. No problem with setup and using ethernet. But a very unusual problem with wireless. I have two HP laptops. A G50 (with Atheros ar5007) and a dv9700 (I think Intel WiFi chip). Without any encryption, the router connected with both laptops. If I use either WPA or WPA2 or anything else (that's also supported on the laptops), the G50 will not connect. It seems to be aware of the router's presence because the network icon says "local connection" only. But its not true, because when I use windows explorer, the router does not show up. However, the dv9700 laptop connects ok with the encrypted protocol. Stranger still, both laptops were communicating with the WRT54GS using WPA (tkip) encryption - meaning the G50 can handle the encryption. I've up graded the Atheros driver to the latest I can find (7.60.114). ANY HELP or Suggestions? By the way, it really is a pain working with the Netgear web interface. I dread pressing the "apply" button. Takes forever.

Hi, in desperation I'm trying to find out what else I can do to solve this irritating problem. Briefly, I was replacing my WRT54GS with WNDR3700 to get increased range. No problem with setup and using ethernet. But a very unusual problem with wireless. I have two HP laptops. A G50 (with Atheros ar5007) and a dv9700 (I think Intel WiFi chip). Without any encryption, the router connected with both laptops. If I use either WPA or WPA2 or anything else (that's also supported on the laptops), the G50 will not connect. It seems to be aware of the router's presence because the network icon says "local connection" only. But its not true, because when I use windows explorer, the router does not show up. However, the dv9700 laptop connects ok with the encrypted protocol. Stranger still, both laptops were communicating with the WRT54GS using WPA (tkip) encryption - meaning the G50 can handle the encryption. I've up graded the Atheros driver to the latest I can find (7.60.114). ANY HELP or Suggestions? By the way, it really is a pain working with the Netgear web interface. I dread pressing the "apply" button. Takes forever.

Is the prior router turn off and not in use?
What you need to do is uninstall both drivers from both laptops this will remove all prior info from prior network settings. Reboot both. Now is the new router ready to go. Do a factory reset of the router so that is back to factory default. Don't do anything else.

When you log in back with the laptops the drivers will re-install for you. They may also find the new network. Make sure you use a different SSID and passcode for the new router.

You need to check to make sure that the router and the two wireless routers can see each other. This is done by connecting both laptops via wired Ethernet cable to the router. Do each laptop at a time. Making sure that the laptop connect to the router wired and get onto the internet.

Once that works! You need to check the wireless and see if the laptop can connect without the LAN cable. So disconnect the cable and disable the wired connection. Enable wireless and see if you can connect.

If you can't connect then reconnect using the wired connection. You need to see what's causing the issue.

Repeat the process for both laptops until you can get stable connection.

Problem connecting HPG50 with WNDR3700

Hi and thanks. Oh yes, the old linksys is packed away. In fact, this problem is happening with the "second" WNDR3700 I've brought home. I returned the first one. Yes, I first did all the setup with ethernet cable - including the SSID. I first setup without encryption. I unhooked the cable and then tried the wireless. It worked and I got on the internet. Fine. In fact both my HPs (this G50 and my wife's dv9700) connected. Then I shut off my laptop and reonnected the cable. I did this just to be sure I was making router setup changes through wire. I then clicked on WPA2 (AES) to set the router up. Then, on the laptop I went to the Network Sharing Center by right clicking on the icon. Then i did "connect to network". My router SSID showed up in display. I right clicked on its Properties and went to the security tab to set up WPA2 (AES) and passphrase. Saved it and waited. No connection even after shutting and restarting laptop. In the meantime, the other HP laptop (dv9700) connected fine to the internet! So, I went back to the router and reset encryption to none. Did the same on the laptop. Both laptops now connect to router!! I've also removed the drivers for the WiFi Atheros chip and reinstalled with no results. I just cannot figure out the logic for what's happening since I know my laptop can connect with the old linksys using WPA (tkip). To top it off, I emailed HP help. Obviously the guy didn't understand what I was saying because he told me to click on the WPA2 setting to set up encryption! After I explained again, he ansewered "obviously your laptop and router are incompatible" and left it at that!!! Right now, I'm using MAC filtering and keeping SSID off air for security. But I really would like to solve this problem. Are there other sites to go to for legit drivers - other than the atheros.cz site? Atheros itself does not provide support to end users. You have to go through manufacturers such as HP.

Hi Tipstir: Since this is the 2nd WNDR3700, this problem obviously is consistent! And I just read a post somewhere by Mr Higgins saying not to bother with N just to increase range. Apparently all it does is increase throughput. I got this new router to improve the recption in my house (basement to 2 floors above). Perhaps I'll just return the Netgear and flash my old Linksys with DD-WRT or get the new E2000 (320n according to Mr Higgins!). BUT I'd like to solve the problem before returning it!!

Hi Tipstir: Since this is the 2nd WNDR3700, this problem obviously is consistent! And I just read a post somewhere by Mr Higgins saying not to bother with N just to increase range. Apparently all it does is increase throughput. I got this new router to improve the recption in my house (basement to 2 floors above). Perhaps I'll just return the Netgear and flash my old Linksys with DD-WRT or get the new E2000 (320n according to Mr Higgins!). BUT I'd like to solve the problem before returning it!!

Figure Netgear thinks that you only need the one WNDR3700 and not a second one use AP. $300 bucks an issues. Crazy too much hype on the router. I am not spending so much for these gears. Right now testing EnG ESR-9850 which has beaten WNDR3700. You might want to go and get two of these. I did that, I might go and get two more since the repeater feature works better than DD-WRT does. If you need dual band then EnG ESR-7750 but that lacks Gig ports. These have no USB Networking but frankly you don't need that extra expense.

I was able to connect to my wifes Acer 17.3 with Atheros bla, bla 802.11n and my new puppy Gateway 15.6 NV series with b-ray it also has the same Atheros bla, bla 802.11n since Acer owns Gateway. that connected no issues. Same with my Atheros bla, bla 802.11n in my ASUS netbook on Link AP connection (second EnG ESR-9850) been on it for a few hours the signal strength has been excellent. That's down the hall 3 rooms away about 100FT. I have to mount that to the wall though. So it looks nice so the wife won't complain.

When it comes to 802.11n I just want it to connect, be smooth, fast and stable. 802.11g I have only Acer Netbook another Atheros bla, bla, the wife company laptop DELL bla, bla and my Lexmark Pro Series all-in-one with fax wireless printer that doesn't have Ethernet Port but has Network Configuration. That works but I had to set up the main AP as 802.11g only for it to work. Can't or don't want to do any mix mode 802.11g/n it can work but I never care for it. With two more of these 9850 I can use them as repeaters for 802.11g on main AP and 802.11n on link AP.

I am still testing the two I have so I'll hold off buying two more only if I think I would need to go that path?

Last edited:
I have the answer but no explanation. The HP G50 did not connect because its Atheros WiFi is g only. When I turned the laptop's internal WiFi off and attached a USB N adapter it was able to connect with the WNDR3700 with WPA(AES) encryption. My other HP laptop - the dv9700 was able to connect because it's internal WiFi connector is n type. The problem with the G50 was not resolved even when I dropped the 2.4 GHz down to 54Mbps. I thought these routers were supposed to connect with either g or n type devices. Would greatly appreciate Mr. Higgins thoughts on this.

I have the answer but no explanation. The HP G50 did not connect because its Atheros WiFi is g only. When I turned the laptop's internal WiFi off and attached a USB N adapter it was able to connect with the WNDR3700 with WPA(AES) encryption. My other HP laptop - the dv9700 was able to connect because it's internal WiFi connector is n type. The problem with the G50 was not resolved even when I dropped the 2.4 GHz down to 54Mbps. I thought these routers were supposed to connect with either g or n type devices. Would greatly appreciate Mr. Higgins thoughts on this.

Did you set up the 802.11g/n mix mode then they would connect to either one. If you set to 802.11n only then it won't connect to 802.11g. Well now you can use the AP in the mix mode so you won't have these issues.

Hi Tipstir: that sounds like the answer - but I've gone through the web pages on the router and, for the life of me, I cannot see anywhere to set up mix mode. I thought this was done automatically during handshake with pc. I did try lowering the throughput to 54 Mbps without any effect. How do I set up mix mode? Will reaaally appreciate if you can tell me how to do it.

Hi Tipstir: that sounds like the answer - but I've gone through the web pages on the router and, for the life of me, I cannot see anywhere to set up mix mode. I thought this was done automatically during handshake with pc. I did try lowering the throughput to 54 Mbps without any effect. How do I set up mix mode? Will reaaally appreciate if you can tell me how to do it.

Your correct in that the 2.4 GHz band on the WNDR3700 is for b/g/n, however you need to be sure you are using the right security in the router & client....try the WPA-PSK(TKIP) + WPA-PSK(AES) security setting in the router wireless settings (2.4 GHz).
That should do it providing your security & password on your client match one of those settings WPA (TKIP or AES). For best & most consistent content streaming, use 130 Mbps Tx rate on router. Faster is not better in this case. If set up right between router and client, you will be able to stream HD content to your client devices with little if any, hiccups.

The 5 GHz band on the 3700 is for a/n mode only, and should be set to WPA2-AES, 300 Mbps for best linkage. Try channel 36 for best Tx rate. Don't expect any miracles over 25', or less with wall/ceiling/floor interference.

The 2.4 GHz band has very good range, the 5 GHz band does not. Nature of the beast. Does not like walls or big metal objects in the way.
Do a site survey and pick channel 1, 6 or 11 if in USA. Use least congested.
Best connections are achieved with location experimentation...a few inches can mean the difference of 65 Mbps connection versus 130 Mbps. The 3700 likes to stand vertically in most applications.
Hope this helps.

By setting the Mode control to Up to 54 Mbps you are enabling G-only mode. Up to 130 Mbps and Up to 300 Mbps both support mixed networks.

WPA/TKIP and WPA2/AES are two different animals. Did the G50 ever connect to the old router with WPA2/AES?

dishinit has a good suggestion. Set the Security Options to WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]. This will allow connection of both forms of WPA.

Thank you Mr. Higgins and dishinit. Vista provides WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK. I believe each of them is available in either AES or TKIP. I tried WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA2-PSK (AES), all the time making sure that the settings on the laptop and the router are in sync. I was able to do this because my other laptop (HP dv9700) has N capabilities and was able to remain connected with the router.
I narrowed the problem down: I got a USB N adapter and plugged it into the laptop after switching off the internal WiFi (using the button). Now, it connected fine in all security modes with the 3700. By the way, my old Linksys WRT54GS had WPA-Personal (TKIP) and that worked fine with the HP G50. The conundrum: the router connects (local and internet) if there is no encryption. Only if encrypted, there is no connection.

FINAL SOLUTION: I would have liked to keep the router just to solve the problem but at $160 it was quite a price to pay. I've returned it and picked up the Linksys E3000 which was on sale at $150. Brought it back home and within 10 minutes, it was all connected. Instead of fooling round independently with the router web pages, I just inserted the CD. A single question : would you like to connect with the router? I said yes and it said "a few minutes please". That's all. No questions, etc. In a couple of minutes, I got the screen message that it was all done!! Bingo. Quite impressed with the user interface.

Thank you Mr. Higgins and dishinit. Vista provides WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK. I believe each of them is available in either AES or TKIP. I tried WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA2-PSK (AES), all the time making sure that the settings on the laptop and the router are in sync. I was able to do this because my other laptop (HP dv9700) has N capabilities and was able to remain connected with the router.
I narrowed the problem down: I got a USB N adapter and plugged it into the laptop after switching off the internal WiFi (using the button). Now, it connected fine in all security modes with the 3700. By the way, my old Linksys WRT54GS had WPA-Personal (TKIP) and that worked fine with the HP G50. The conundrum: the router connects (local and internet) if there is no encryption. Only if encrypted, there is no connection.

FINAL SOLUTION: I would have liked to keep the router just to solve the problem but at $160 it was quite a price to pay. I've returned it and picked up the Linksys E3000 which was on sale at $150. Brought it back home and within 10 minutes, it was all connected. Instead of fooling round independently with the router web pages, I just inserted the CD. A single question : would you like to connect with the router? I said yes and it said "a few minutes please". That's all. No questions, etc. In a couple of minutes, I got the screen message that it was all done!! Bingo. Quite impressed with the user interface.

Create another post for E3000. I would like to know how well it performs for you!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!