What's new

Workaround or fix for slow upload speeds on Asus Zenwifi XT8 w/Verizon Fios?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

silvernblack81

Occasional Visitor
I have Verizon gigabit at my house......I used to have the Netgear Orbi RBK50 which worked pretty well but I wanted to upgrade to WIFI 6 as well as have separate 2.4 and 5 ghz wifi, so I got the Asus Zenwifi XT8, the router plus three nodes.....the coverage is pretty good, but the speeds, speciifically the upload speeds, are significantly slower than it should be.......I was getting close to 900 up and down with both the Verizon router and the Netgear Orbi, so I know I'm getting the speeds I'm supposed to.....I've read that this Asus router has issues w/Verizon Fios.....I've read and tried the options such as resetting the ONT, puting a switch between the ONT and the router, done multiple factory resets, etc.

What i was wondering is if anyone else is having this issue? I thought about just using the Verizon router as the router and setting up the separate networks within it, and setting up the Zenwifi in AP mode then for the mesh wifi network. Will this hopefully work? And I'm past the return window.........

Don't have Verizon, but yes, you could set up the Verizon router as your "main" router (with it's wireless radios disabled, of course). Then put the ZenWiFi AX into AP mode, plug the ZenWiFi's WAN port into a Verizon router LAN port, and bob's your uncle. This will work just fine.

By the way, we have AT&T fiber with a ZenWiFi AX, and both download and upload speeds are what I expect with the ZenWiFi in router mode. About 940/940Mbps for wired connections. Are you talking about wi-fi or wired connections that have upload speed lower than you expect?

Give some example download/upload speeds that show the problem that you're addressing, please, if you can remember...thanks!

Don't have Verizon, but yes, you could set up the Verizon router as your "main" router (with it's wireless radios disabled, of course). Then put the ZenWiFi AX into AP mode, plug the ZenWiFi's WAN port into a Verizon router LAN port, and bob's your uncle. This will work just fine.

By the way, we have AT&T fiber with a ZenWiFi AX, and both download and upload speeds are what I expect with the ZenWiFi in router mode. About 940/940Mbps for wired connections. Are you talking about wi-fi or wired connections that have upload speed lower than you expect?

Give some example download/upload speeds that show the problem that you're addressing, please, if you can remember...thanks!

it’s been a journey. On the ASUS hardwired I’ll get around 7-900 down but then only around 150-200 up. On WiFi it’s around 350-450 down with around 150-250 up. I’m on the Verizon gigabit connection. Tested it straight to my computer as well as using my old Orbi and the older Verizon router and I get the advertised speeds around 900 up and down. I’ve even had times where the up was less than or barely 100mbps.

I have separate ssids for the 2.4 and 5 ghz networks. I’ve read that the ASUS routers seem to have trouble with the fios connections, for whatever reason. So I thought maybe this could bypass it. Would I still get the WiFi 6 benefits doing this? The Verizon router id use would be the non WiFi 6 model (still has gigabit Ethernet ports though) but I’d think it wouldn’t matter if the radios are off.

it’s been a journey. On the ASUS hardwired I’ll get around 7-900 down but then only around 150-200 up. On WiFi it’s around 350-450 down with around 150-250 up. I’m on the Verizon gigabit connection. Tested it straight to my computer as well as using my old Orbi and the older Verizon router and I get the advertised speeds around 900 up and down. I’ve even had times where the up was less than or barely 100mbps.

I have separate ssids for the 2.4 and 5 ghz networks. I’ve read that the ASUS routers seem to have trouble with the fios connections, for whatever reason. So I thought maybe this could bypass it. Would I still get the WiFi 6 benefits doing this? The Verizon router id use would be the non WiFi 6 model (still has gigabit Ethernet ports though) but I’d think it wouldn’t matter if the radios are off.

Yes, you'll get the wifi-6 benefits you're looking for using your ZenWiFi in AP mode...your wifi-6 clients will connect to the ZenWiFi using wifi-6, and the ZenWiFi nodes will communicate with each other via wifi-6. Since the ZenWiFi is hard-wired to the ZenWiFi, no problem there. So yes, all the wifi that can be wifi-6 will have the extra wifi-6 speed. Just remember to make sure that the wifi radios on the Verizon router are disabled.

Yes, you'll get the wifi-6 benefits you're looking for using your ZenWiFi in AP mode...your wifi-6 clients will connect to the ZenWiFi using wifi-6, and the ZenWiFi nodes will communicate with each other via wifi-6. Since the ZenWiFi is hard-wired to the ZenWiFi, no problem there. So yes, all the wifi that can be wifi-6 will have the extra wifi-6 speed. Just remember to make sure that the wifi radios on the Verizon router are disabled.
if we set nodes in AP mode does it appear on aimesh topology?

ok thank you. It sucks I have to even try this. The ASUS zenwifi was not cheap (I’ve got the router plus three nodes) yet the subpar Verizon router I have laying around at least gave me my advertised speeds. Tried everything I could think of. Firmware updates didn’t help either.

I have Verizon gigabit at my house......I used to have the Netgear Orbi RBK50 which worked pretty well but I wanted to upgrade to WIFI 6 as well as have separate 2.4 and 5 ghz wifi, so I got the Asus Zenwifi XT8, the router plus three nodes.....the coverage is pretty good, but the speeds, speciifically the upload speeds, are significantly slower than it should be.......I was getting close to 900 up and down with both the Verizon router and the Netgear Orbi, so I know I'm getting the speeds I'm supposed to.....I've read that this Asus router has issues w/Verizon Fios.....I've read and tried the options such as resetting the ONT, puting a switch between the ONT and the router, done multiple factory resets, etc.

What i was wondering is if anyone else is having this issue? I thought about just using the Verizon router as the router and setting up the separate networks within it, and setting up the Zenwifi in AP mode then for the mesh wifi network. Will this hopefully work? And I'm past the return window.........
Yes - there are many people on this forum who have found that XT8s don't play nicely with FiOS. ASUS knows about this, but has never addressed it. It's maddening. I would definitely try putting the kit in AP mode and see what happens. I don't have the Verizon router, so I haven't gotten around to trying this out:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011N1IT2A/?tag=snbforums-20

Yes - there are many people on this forum who have found that XT8s don't play nicely with FiOS. ASUS knows about this, but has never addressed it. It's maddening. I would definitely try putting the kit in AP mode and see what happens. I don't have the Verizon router, so I haven't gotten around to trying this out:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011N1IT2A/?tag=snbforums-20

thank you. I’m not crazy then. I tried a to link nonmanaged switch, placed between the Ethernet from the ont and the incoming wan on the ASUS. Didn’t help.
So I just established a 2.4 and 5 ghz network WiFi on the Verizon router and set up the ASUS in ap mode to broadcast it right? My aimesh should still work?

I tried placing a switch in between the ONT and the XT8 and I too had no success. If you can, I'd try turning on the router, but turning off the radios and then putting the XT8s in AP mode. Let us know if that does the trick for you.

I tried placing a switch in between the ONT and the XT8 and I too had no success. If you can, I'd try turning on the router, but turning off the radios and then putting the XT8s in AP mode. Let us know if that does the trick for you.

yeahvthats basically what I’ve come to as a possible workaround. Gonna try the Verizon router then the ASUS zenwifi in ap mode as a mesh network for separate 2.4 and 5ghz WiFi.

Unbelievable that this can’t be fixed........

There is no discussion here about firmware here. I struggled with a performance with a set of CT-8's whose firmware I upgraded twice, IIRC, after purchase (dirty upgrades). It was not until I did a proper reset of the devices, both hardware and then from the Administration section, checking the check box to clear all, did the devices begin to perform. Configure from scratch, do not reload a backup, this will only restore problems.

Once done, power on only the router and test before setting up the AIMesh.

Ok so I basically hookup the Verizon router, turn off WiFi, plug the Ethernet from the wan port of the ASUS into the LAN of the Verizon router, set the ASUS to AP mode and that’s pretty much it? I do use AImesh between the four nodes.

Ok update I hooked up the Verizon quantum router, disabled the WiFi, switched the ASUS to AP mode and plugged it from the wan port of the ASUS to a lan port of the quantum fios. I’m getting full speeds both upload and download........

now it seems I’m getting random drops in internet connectivity. Like it’ll stop working for a minute then it’ll come back. I’m not sure if it’s the WiFi or the quantum router itself. I haven’t done any ping tests or technical troubleshooting other than the Verizon analyzer. I reset the Verizon router, I have not done a factory reset of the ASUS yet. Any ideas?

2 things

1 - there are various notes on the forum about loosing wireless. I have\had the issue on my RT-AC1900P (AC-68u) mesh. The mesh drop can be seen by watching the mesh connection screen (yes, tedious at best), but it's only for a short time, like you describe. Again, you have NEVER indicated your firmware.

2 - It takes some begging with verizon. The reason they need\want you to use thier router is for Cable TV, as it's MoCA device and supplies LAN services for your TV boxes. There is a LAN port on the ONT which is generaly NOT activated, but can be. If you get TV from them they still need to use their router (MoCA) for the cable boxes.

2 things

1 - there are various notes on the forum about loosing wireless. I have\had the issue on my RT-AC1900P (AC-68u) mesh. The mesh drop can be seen by watching the mesh connection screen (yes, tedious at best), but it's only for a short time, like you describe. Again, you have NEVER indicated your firmware.

2 - It takes some begging with verizon. The reason they need\want you to use thier router is for Cable TV, as it's MoCA device and supplies LAN services for your TV boxes. There is a LAN port on the ONT which is generaly NOT activated, but can be. If you get TV from them they still need to use their router (MoCA) for the cable boxes.

Hey, thanks for responding......

I'm on firmware 3.0.0.4.386_43170.....on all nodes. I haven't updated to the latest firmware yet, I've actually read an older firmware seems to be more stable, I forgot which one though......maybe I can try manually going to that firmware version......

Yeah all i have is the fios gigabit internet with verizon, no tv or phone. So I used the quantum gateway router from that, disabled the wifi radios, then used the asus app to put the router in AP mode, rebooted system. I get the advertised speeds now ( finally!) but I'm noticing intermittent drops in internet, I believe on wifi. So it makes me think it's the asus that's the issue.

Dump the FIOS router, especially if you are paying for it. You missing out on a lot of the features you paid for in the XT-8s.

Not sure on the status of Guest LAN on the XT8. I know it works on the main ROUTER, but even though there are menu options in the AP, the Guest LAN does not work on my RT-AC68u in AP mode (no isolation). Simple answer is it needs the routers DHCP service and some functionality/brains.

As for firmware, it's interesting that the older versions are not listed and that the 2 new versions have the same date. There are a lot of CVe patches in the latest releases and something for Guest (I know you have not mentioned it).

I suppgest you check the forum for XT-8 and the firmware versions to see if there is any guidance. If you choose to upgrade, see if there is a manual\auto upgrade switch on the firmware page. Disable it if there is. Backup your config. Install the latest firmware. Reset to Factory with a hardware reset and then use the one in Administration and clear all settings if the check box is available. Config from scratch, DO NOT relaod your old config.

42095 is the firmware you're looking for. It's still listed on the support site, though it was actually released in March. 43181 was released in June, so I have no idea why they both say 8 August.

Dump the FIOS router, especially if you are paying for it. You missing out on a lot of the features you paid for in the XT-8s.

Not sure on the status of Guest LAN on the XT8. I know it works on the main ROUTER, but even though there are menu options in the AP, the Guest LAN does not work on my RT-AC68u in AP mode (no isolation). Simple answer is it needs the routers DHCP service and some functionality/brains.

As for firmware, it's interesting that the older versions are not listed and that the 2 new versions have the same date. There are a lot of CVe patches in the latest releases and something for Guest (I know you have not mentioned it).

I suppgest you check the forum for XT-8 and the firmware versions to see if there is any guidance. If you choose to upgrade, see if there is a manual\auto upgrade switch on the firmware page. Disable it if there is. Backup your config. Install the latest firmware. Reset to Factory with a hardware reset and then use the one in Administration and clear all settings if the check box is available. Config from scratch, DO NOT relaod your old config.

yeah I understand. Problem was I wasn’t getting my full speeds using my ASUS as a router. So I used the Verizon router and put the ASUS in AP mode. So now I’m getting my full speeds but the intermittent dropouts are now occurring. I’m trying to remember which firmware I read seemed to be pretty stable.

42095 is the firmware you're looking for. It's still listed on the support site, though it was actually released in March. 43181 was released in June, so I have no idea why they both say 8 August.

ok so I just dl from the site and load it on my ASUS firmware?

You have to do the router and any nodes separately. And press the reset button on the bottom. Probably should make a note of your settings beforehand.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!