What's new

WOW What a difference a fan makes!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Joe87t

Occasional Visitor
So I recently picked up a brand new AC-68R, immediately put merlin on it and noticed right out of the box with no clock changes the CPU would hover around 78-80 degrees celcius. I don't remember what the two radios were at but I know they were in the 50s somewhere.

I really wanted to over clock the unit to 1200/800 but knew it would be toast if I was getting those Temps on stock speeds. So I went on amazon and bought a little 5 dollar USB powered cooling fan. It came in today so I plugged it in and just gently rested it on the back near the Lan ports, no cutting the case or anything just placed it right next to it.

WOW what a difference a little cheesy 5 dollar fan makes!!

I was watching the Temps via line graph in merlin and before fan CPU was at 79* celcius, about 5 minutes after the fan the CPU is now at 56* Celcius and radios are at 40* down from the 50 something before

I couldn't believe how much of a HUGE difference it made, highly recommend anyone do this and it doesn't require mutilating your casing in order for it to work properly

Great buy! 1200/800 here I come!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

We are talking a 50 degree F difference from a little fan.

I got it set at 1200,800 now and has been for the past hour or so and Temps have gotten up to 140 LOL still 40 degrees colder at 1200 then it was with no fan at 800

Last edited:
20150107_125831.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Depending on where the temp sensors are on the router PCB you may just be seeing the affect of blowing air on the sensors.

Depending on where the temp sensors are on the router PCB you may just be seeing the affect of blowing air on the sensors.

AFAIK, sensors are internal to each SoC. That's why temperatures are so high, it's not the surface temperature, it's the core temperature.

I once had a video card that could reach 100C under load. It was normal, and the card was perfectly stable as well.

Exactly, it's "non-sense" attaching fans on devices that are prepared to work alot higher temperatures than 79º, the manufactor tecnical documentation reports 130º TJMAX, so you have alot room left.

It will not hurt offcourse (the lower the better) but it's not really necessary.

Last edited:
AFAIK, sensors are internal to each SoC. That's why temperatures are so high, it's not the surface temperature, it's the core temperature.

I once had a video card that could reach 100C under load. It was normal, and the card was perfectly stable as well.
After starting another thread about RT-AC68U temps, and then finding this thread, I've been watching my router a bit more. Found it yesterday with one of the cores stuck at about 80% utilization, even though there was no significant activity. The CPU temperature was reported at 108! :eek:

Since I could find no reason for the CPU load to be that high, I rebooted the router, at which point both CPU utliization and temps returned to normal. But it appears that this router under load will easily get up to OVER 100! I admit, seeing that number reported is a bit scary. Is there any monitoring built in to shut down if the temp gets too hot?

Your heatpads or heatsinks are not in place, thats the reason for those temperatures, if you open it you will see that.

Those are not the normal temperatures.

Last edited:
After starting another thread about RT-AC68U temps, and then finding this thread, I've been watching my router a bit more. Found it yesterday with one of the cores stuck at about 80% utilization, even though there was no significant activity. The CPU temperature was reported at 108! :eek:

Since I could find no reason for the CPU load to be that high, I rebooted the router, at which point both CPU utliization and temps returned to normal. But it appears that this router under load will easily get up to OVER 100! I admit, seeing that number reported is a bit scary. Is there any monitoring built in to shut down if the temp gets too hot?

There's a thermal throttling feature implemented in at least the wireless SoCs. No idea about the CPU, we'd need access to the (proprietary) Broadcom documentation to know for sure.

Just got the Asus RT-AC66U and whenI touch it it's warm is that normal and how to check for router temp I'm on the stock firmware

Just got the Asus RT-AC66U and whenI touch it it's warm is that normal and how to check for router temp I'm on the stock firmware

Go into the GUI, click "Administration" and then click the "Performance Tuning" tab, and you will see the temps for each radio. You can view temps in either as Celsius or Fahrenheit (look for the drop-down selector at the bottom of the page).

Go into the GUI, click "Administration" and then click the "Performance Tuning" tab, and you will see the temps for each radio. You can view temps in either as Celsius or Fahrenheit (look for the drop-down selector at the bottom of the page).

That page isn't in the stock firmware. However the method I posted in this thread would work, over telnet:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=21702

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!