What's new

wrong cfe with no mac address uploaded to ac68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No not yet. Although I have access to the gui throug I think without a reflashed cfeh the 5gh wireless it's not working correctly. I have tried a restore, I have update the firmware with little success. the gui showa mac address for the 5gh but not for the 2.4gh. Which why the 2.4gh wireless is not working , I think that without a reflashed correct cfe the router will not work properly. I have ordered a usb jtag cable and will try to flash the cfe through the serial interface. I think this may be my only hope of recovering the router. Anyone else have any thoughts ?

No not yet. Although I have access to the gui throug I think without a reflashed cfeh the 5gh wireless it's not working correctly. I have tried a restore, I have update the firmware with little success. the gui showa mac address for the 5gh but not for the 2.4gh. Which why the 2.4gh wireless is not working , I think that without a reflashed correct cfe the router will not work properly. I have ordered a usb jtag cable and will try to flash the cfe through the serial interface. I think this may be my only hope of recovering the router. Anyone else have any thoughts ?
I'm confused. You said you have access to the GUI, although I'm not sure whether it's through LAN, 2.4GHz or 5GHz. Can you not just enable Telnet or SSH and flash the correct CFE?

If you have access to the web GUI and macs for both ethernet and WLAN 5G you are close to solving the puzzle.
Dump the current CFE and make note of the MAC's. They are sequential. So if you have xx:xx:xx:03 then 2.4 would end in :04 and 5G would end in :05
Use CFE editor to fix the bad mac addy's up and flash back the CFE using mtdwrite. Problem solved hopefully :)

I have access to the GUI only through the wireless 5gh. I thing it's because for some reason there is a mac address shown in the GUI for the 5gh. The 2.4gh and the router lan shows 00 00 00 0 00 00 . I cannot get access through the Wired lan although the lan port light comes on when I plug the Ethernet in. I cannot find the router using the Asus discovery utility. I can not get the router into the recovery mode no matter what I try. Without the recovery mode I can not access the mini cfe flash. Is there another way to flash the cfe ????

I have access to the GUI only through the wireless 5gh. I thing it's because for some reason there is a mac address shown in the GUI for the 5gh. The 2.4gh and the router lan shows 00 00 00 0 00 00 . I cannot get access through the Wired lan although the lan port light comes on when I plug the Ethernet in. I cannot find the router using the Asus discovery utility. I can not get the router into the recovery mode no matter what I try. Without the recovery mode I can not access the mini cfe flash. Is there another way to flash the cfe ????
Can you enable SSH with Both LAN+WAN? If yes, then Putty and WinSCP through wireless.

I can enable SSH in the administration/system page of the GUI.
I though that putty could only connect to the router through wired and only when the router is in the recovery mode. ??

I though that putty could only connect to the router through wired and only when the router is in the recovery mode. ??

Yes, you can!

You could also try in Putty to check your Mac Address:

Code: cat /dev/mtd0 | grep macaddr

No, you can use PuTTY through a wireless connection as well. Enable SSH access from the LAN and use PuTTY via 5GHz.

I cannot get putty to recognize the router, probably for the same reason the Asus discovery utility does not see it. No mac address
There is no login user/password shown in putty.

Colin seems to think that I can access putty through the wireless 5gh connection with SSH enabled.
I'm going to work on that method for a while and see if I can get putty to connect. Do we think putty would connect without the router being in the recovery mode ? Thanks to everyone !

Colin seems to think that I can access putty through the wireless 5gh connection with SSH enabled.
I'm going to work on that method for a while and see if I can get putty to connect. Do we think putty would connect without the router being in the recovery mode ? Thanks to everyone !
Yes, I check my Router's MAC Address with the above code in Putty thru WAN.

Hi, if SSH does not work, maybe telnet does... you can enable it in the same 'administration->system' page. I usually use telnet for everything (including flash of CFEs).

Do we think putty would connect without the router being in the recovery mode ?
You cannot connect to the router with PuTTY if it's in recovery mode. You cannot flash the new CFE from recovery mode. You need the router to be operating "normally" (not in recovery mode).

I have connected to the router using putty and have login. I have the original cfe bin file from when the router was running perfect.
Do anyone have the procedure for uploading the cfe file to the router through putty ?