What's new

Wrong time zone, right time?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mith_y2k

Regular Contributor
This is a funky issue and in fairness I'm not sure if I've had this forever. The other day I was checking the logs in my Orbi with Voxel and noticed the time was wrong. Recently I changed the NTP settings via the Web interface, I set the time zone to Pacific and the server to pool.ntp.org

When I noticed a time stamp that looked wrong in the logs I ran date and this is what I got:
Code:
root@RBR50:~# date
Wed Jun 10 16:27:53 GMT 2020

The time is actually right for my local time, but GMT is not my time zone. Is this normal? I also could not find the configuration file for the NTP server and time zone. Any pointers?

When I noticed a time stamp that looked wrong in the logs I ran date and this is what I got:
Code:
root@RBR50:~# date
Wed Jun 10 16:27:53 GMT 2020

The time is actually right for my local time, but GMT is not my time zone. Is this normal? I also could not find the configuration file for the NTP server and time zone. Any pointers?
I see something different on my Orbi RBR50. I am also in Pacific and the web GUI shows the correct time in my zone. But the shell shows time 7 hours ahead of Pacific. It was 10:30 AM when I ran this command.
Code:
root@RBR50:/# date
Mon Jun 15 17:29:56 UTC 2020

I see something different on my Orbi RBR50. I am also in Pacific and the web GUI shows the correct time in my zone. But the shell shows time 7 hours ahead of Pacific. It was 10:30 AM when I ran this command.
Code:
root@RBR50:/# date
Mon Jun 15 17:29:56 UTC 2020

17:29 UTC is 10:29 PST (with daylight savings) so everyting is as expected

17:29 UTC is 10:29 PST (with daylight savings) so everyting is as expected
I understand. What seems odd is that I see "UTC" but @mith_y2k sees "GMT" with a time mismatch. Maybe one of us needs a firmware update.

perhaps you are using entware?

I see GMT with the stock date and UTC with the entware date:

Code:
root@R7800:~$ /bin/date
Tue Jun 16 17:19:55 GMT 2020

root@R7800:~$ /opt/bin/date
Tue Jun 16 17:20:03 UTC 2020

Last edited:
timezone is stored in /etc/TZ

(but the strange thing is that for me that has GMT-0, which initially matched the timezone in the GUI, which I forgot to correct after the last factory reset.
But also after setting the GUI to the correct time zone, it still has GMT-0.)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!