What's new

XT(8) guidance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

frankhere

Regular Contributor
Hey folks,
I am a Zen Wifi XT8 user.... the new rev of firmware ( 3.0.0.4.388_21617) is an under performer.
I want to revert back to 3.0.0.4.386_25790 which was bullet proof. I upgraded to see if the new version was a better performer and to take advantage of any new fixes... well I have been disappointed .

So, What's my question?
  • I want to reload the previous revision mentioned 3.0.0.4.388_25790
  • I want to do this properly and not give me a self-inflicted hot foot , how should I proceed? I know it will be a manual install, so I will down load the older firmware.
    What should I be aware of so the self-inflicted hot foot is avoided
  • I also replaced the cable modem DOCSIS 3.0 , and in service for 6 years, with a new Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 unit.
Last,
  • what problems are being experienced with the newer firmware ?
    • Various devices disconnect for no apparent reason e.g. a Google Home speaker will work for a day or two then drop off. It is about 20 ft. from the main router ;
    • my google 4A phone drops radio stations, yet I do not have this issue at other locations like the gym, in a store or even using Google Fi network when driving and going through T-Mobile
    • My TV ( LG) has some issues with connecting, but will resolve the problem on it's own
    • When I reboot the router the issues will clear up for a day or 2, or 3.
    • I never had these issues with 3.0.0.4.386_25790

I have a maximum of 14 devices computers, phones, thermostat, a printer, + Blink security camera. They are managed by 2 ASUS devices' the main unit and the AI-mesh remote. Rarely are they all active.
I have used the AiMesh 'Optimize' feature to balance the load between the two ASUS devices. I checked and right now the balance is 5 on the main and 5 on the remote, sometimes its 8 and 2.
I will be adding one more device an Electric Vehicle Charger ( I just my use the Blue Tooth feature and avoid another device on the network, but will still try it and see how it goes.

1672343148962.png

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks folks.

Last edited:
My guidance would be to suggest the RT-AX95Q firmware available at https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases/tag/386.07_2-gnuton1

Load it, do a GUI factory reset, salt to taste.

edit: fix model # and add: After the new firmware boots the first time, go out to the garage and have a smoke before setting up. These CPUs ain't desktop grade and some time is needed to perform housekeeping. Nothing worse than getting the system into a funky state due to initial impatience.

Last edited:
I was about to come post exactly what glens posted. I flashed to GNuton last week, and everything has been rock solid since. Nothing in my logs except devices moving between the 3 nodes as you move through the house. It's been perfect.

My guidance would be to suggest the RT-AX95Q firmware available at https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases/tag/386.07_2-gnuton1

Load it, do a GUI factory reset, salt to taste.

edit: fix model # and add: After the new firmware boots the first time, go out to the garage and have a smoke before setting up. These CPUs ain't desktop grade and some time is needed to perform housekeeping. Nothing worse than getting the system into a funky state due to initial impatience.
Hello Glens,
I didn't know that firmware cross-pollinates i.e. that you could substitute firmware for RT-AX95Q and use it on Wifi XT8. My bad , I see RT-AX95Q is commercially known as ZenWifi XT8.

My goal (really) is to reload the previous version (3.0.0.4.388_25790) as that worked without issue.

FYI, there's a new rev of firmware ASUS ZenWiFi AX XT8 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22068.

I loaded it and crossed my fingers. No luck , still issues.

Just to add my two cents worth (and validate glens reports) I got frustrated with all the various issues with the Asus firmware updates and decided to install the RT-AX95Q Merlin firmware 386.07_2-gnuton1 on my two XT8 nodes a week or so ago. Been absolutely rock solid so far with no issues whatsoever (apart from Traffic Analyser - Statistic not working which seems a generic issue with all current firmwares AFAIK). Did a factory reset and reconfigure after firmware flash. Pretty much vanilla installation apart from limiting 2.4GHz to 20MHz. Wireless backhaul on 5 GHz-2. 33 IoT clients working perfectly. Happy!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!