What's new

ASUS XT8 Dual WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gally

New Around Here
I am testing an iPhone hot spot as a secondary backup WAN to my ASUS XT8 Mesh router. A Mikrotikls mini router connects as a client to the Iphone and provides an Ethernet service to connected devices.

It works fine for my Mac laptop with download speed 18Mbs and upload 13.8mbs, but does not work when connected to the ASUS router.

My primary WAN is BT fibre with a PPPoE connection. I have set the secondary WAN as failover and Ethernet on another ASUS port. The ASUS router shows the port in cold standby when connected to the mini router, whether it is connected to my hot spot or not. (Something wrong there). If I unplug the primary WAN cable, it does not show any secondary WAN connection.

Logically if it provides an internet WAN connection for my Laptop why does it not provide one for the ASUS router?

Is this a known fault, i.e. it does not work, or am I expecting too much.

Thanks to the greater knowledge of people above my pay Grade as a 77yr old Grandad I don't understand why I do this.

Attachments

• ASUS-2ndWAN.jpg
    ASUS-2ndWAN.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 14
Something wrong there

Multiple threads for “something wrong there” with different attempts to fix it with extra hardware and software. Not very reliable Asuswrt feature.

I am testing an iPhone hot spot as a secondary backup WAN to my ASUS XT8 Mesh router. A Mikrotikls mini router connects as a client to the Iphone and provides an Ethernet service to connected devices.

It works fine for my Mac laptop with download speed 18Mbs and upload 13.8mbs, but does not work when connected to the ASUS router.

My primary WAN is BT fibre with a PPPoE connection. I have set the secondary WAN as failover and Ethernet on another ASUS port. The ASUS router shows the port in cold standby when connected to the mini router, whether it is connected to my hot spot or not. (Something wrong there). If I unplug the primary WAN cable, it does not show any secondary WAN connection.

Logically if it provides an internet WAN connection for my Laptop why does it not provide one for the ASUS router?

Is this a known fault, i.e. it does not work, or am I expecting too much.

Thanks to the greater knowledge of people above my pay Grade as a 77yr old Grandad I don't understand why I do this.

There's a 3rd party script that fixes the Dual-WaN issues running the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware but unfortunately the XT8 is not supported. You may be able to provide feedback to Asus but i doubt anything will be done since these issues have been around for awhile!

Yeah, when I got my XT8s I was initially a little upset they weren't the V2 (recently released at the time), but have since been running GNUton's Merlin and am so much gladder they were V1!

The V2 has the direct replacement for the EOL'd V1 SOC, which (V2 SOC) is also used on the ET8 and XT9, Expert (whatever), amongst most all Asus Broadcom "2x" AX gear. Seems strange it hasn't been picked up by either Merlin (proper) or GNUton...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!