What's new

XT8 and VLAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kelmi2022

New Around Here
Hello,
I understand that XT8 does not support VLANs, no config, no QoS, etc.

But, does XT8 understand VLANs in a way, it would maintain VLAN tag for up/downlink? Or does XT8 drop all Ethernet traffic, which is having VLAN tags?

Regards
K

You may need to be more specific. More details required.

But, does XT8 understand VLANs in a way, it would maintain VLAN tag for up/downlink?

Very good question. Only an experiment will give the correct answer because either though there is no user configuration nor official VLAN support in firmware Asus is using VLAN internally for Guest Network in 386/388 firmware. Perhaps @RMerlin knows more details about what happens to VLAN tags.

Very good question. Only an experiment will give the correct answer because either though there is no user configuration nor official VLAN support in firmware Asus is using VLAN internally for Guest Network in 386/388 firmware. Perhaps @RMerlin knows more details about what happens to VLAN tags.
There is VLAN support in some Asus routers actually. Just found this out myself.
Synology routers have it too:
Would be great if cheaper Asus routers got it too.

Last edited:
What you see about Asus routers is future firmware for Pro models. It's currently in Beta stage and won't be ready for months:

I just installed the Asus ET12 and loaded the 9.0.0.6.102_4856 firmware. I've been in the hunt for a good 6E mesh AP set that support VLAN and trunking. This seemed to have the performance and features without too much complexity. I configured the ET12 hub to AP mode and mapped two VLANs through my switch and am managing the traffic policies through my Firewalla gold. The firmware is beta no doubt, but it does work. I have 46 devices hooked in and am watching for stability. The million dollar question that I have is I need to extend my network even further and would like to use the Asus XT8. What I don't know is if I mesh in a lower, non pro Asus, will it still carry the VLAN profiles and tags? Its a stretch asking if anyone on this forum knows.

I just installed the Asus ET12 and loaded the 9.0.0.6.102_4856 firmware. I've been in the hunt for a good 6E mesh AP set that support VLAN and trunking. This seemed to have the performance and features without too much complexity. I configured the ET12 hub to AP mode and mapped two VLANs through my switch and am managing the traffic policies through my Firewalla gold. The firmware is beta no doubt, but it does work. I have 46 devices hooked in and am watching for stability. The million dollar question that I have is I need to extend my network even further and would like to use the Asus XT8. What I don't know is if I mesh in a lower, non pro Asus, will it still carry the VLAN profiles and tags? Its a stretch asking if anyone on this forum knows.
Hi @musibi
Did you find out if its working? I am looking for similar config. I plan to have an Opnsense router and use my 2 xt8 in Ap mode . But I wonder if it will be possible to set VLAN and configure them also in the xt8? I am new to vlan and trying to see whats possible...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!