What's new

XT8 constant disconnects

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

man thats lame i just gave away my netgear r6400v2. i have a REALLY old linksys e1200 with dd-wrt on it. will there be a performance hit with using such a underpowered device by today's standards or will it be fine because its just going to be a 2.4ghtz wifi connection to light switches and s***

I've done the same "move all IoT to a legacy AP" as well, and everything has been stable since. Any old router will work, as long as it supports WPA2, the usage is really low. Just make sure you place it well, and setting MAC filtering wouldn't hurt.

An old AP for IOT seems like something worth trying.

One final option you could try before you dust off that trusty old linksys is setup a 2.4ghz guest network and use that solely for IOT devices. Lots of Asus routers support this.

I had the same problems with my 2.4 GHz IoT devices (mainly ESP-based), more than 50.

After tons of tests I found the solution, at least in my case:

Beacon interval: 1000
DTIM interval: 1

Save and reboot.

Too frequent beacons cause freezing of many cheap wifi chipsets.
Giving your beacon interval a go, got nothing to lose, will report back

I had the same problems with my 2.4 GHz IoT devices (mainly ESP-based), more than 50.

After tons of tests I found the solution, at least in my case:

Beacon interval: 1000
DTIM interval: 1

Save and reboot.

Too frequent beacons cause freezing of many cheap wifi chipsets.
Thanks for the advice, I was REALLY hoping for this to be the solution for my IoT devices issues (2 globe smart bulbs in particular) so I updated everything to 3.0.0.4.386_45898-gfa90458 and changed the settings but... moving back to 3.0.0.4.386_42095 as everything works great there and only there...

Yeah unfortunately didn't work for me. I've given up and turned on an old 2.4ghz wifi router for my IoT devices. This isn't how it should be. The latest piece of kit that costs £400 shouldn't have this many issues. It should simply just work.

Didn't work for my either. Curious if anyone has reached out to Asus support on the issue?
I RMA'd an RT-AX88U last week due to the same problem with IoT devices randomly dropping. All they did was send me a new unit.

Didn't work for my either. Curious if anyone has reached out to Asus support on the issue?
I RMA'd an RT-AX88U last week due to the same problem with IoT devices randomly dropping. All they did was send me a new unit.
I have more IOT devices than anything on my X88u and NO issue with dropouts what so ever!

I have more IOT devices than anything on my X88u and NO issue with dropouts what so ever!
Have you actually checked the connection uptime on all the devices ? What brands ? I have a feeling its a specific chipset. I've nrrowwd mine down to some led strip lights made by some random company off Amazon called govee . Could you share a screenshot of the wifi log section of the web ui and wifi settings ?

I'm so over these routers and looking at this forum is everyone having the same problem?! I've separated the channels, disabled everything. I'm at my wits end before I sell them on. Specifically IoT devices like doorbells, cameras, thermostats. I never had any problem with my Netgear Orbi. And I don't believe this is down to WiFi 6, already disabled that on the 2.4ghz network.

I notice you have the 2.4GHz channel set to auto.
I have a Solar system that doesn't like that setting.

It seems to me that since the "auto" setting actually does change the wireless channel from time to time these days (historically it didn't AFAICT) some devices can react badly to it when it does.

My Solar system started crashing, at first it was about every week but with more recent firmware it came down to much less.
When I changed this to a specific channel I found the failing stopped. But I'm using a different model router so this might not work with the ASUS. Nevertheless it's worth a try.

so after some more digging ive come to the conclusion all the devics that i have that are dropping have the Powersave Flag present in the WiFi Log page. i turned off WMM APSD completely but it still shows up. any ideas

Can I just go back to
Version 3.0.0.4.386.42095
2021/03/03 ?
As this seems to be the only firmware where everything worked on my router and my nest outdoor cam connected with no drop outs.

I was told that I can just manually upload the firmware listed without doing the hard reset.
Is this possible?
Thanks.

Can I just go back to
Version 3.0.0.4.386.42095
2021/03/03 ?
As this seems to be the only firmware where everything worked on my router and my nest outdoor cam connected with no drop outs.

I was told that I can just manually upload the firmware listed without doing the hard reset.
Is this possible?
Thanks.
That shouldn't be a problem, though if you start to see unusual behavior then a factory reset might be advised.
Any chance you can share those files? The Asus site no longer lists them, and I'd like to give them a try. I'm ready to toss my routers out the window.

Ah, the global site has it, but the US doesn't. Thanks!
If you manage to get back to an old firmware without resetting could you please let us know on here as I am having all the same problems as above and have been forced to switch the camera to a second router now? Yes, I know that the second router might be fighting these routers channels etc but I am sure that going back to the March firmware would be a lot simpler than going through the faffing about as mentioned above.

If you manage to get back to an old firmware without resetting could you please let us know on here as I am having all the same problems as above and have been forced to switch the camera to a second router now? Yes, I know that the second router might be fighting these routers channels etc but I am sure that going back to the March firmware would be a lot simpler than going through the faffing about as mentioned above.
I just did a quick attempt to flash back to the prior version but it apparently didn't work. Everything looked good, but when I go back into the UI it still shows the latest version that I was running previously. I haven't had much time to mess around with it, but this is surprising. My AX88U that I had prior allowed me to easily revert to prior versions.

For what it's worth, I tried the 9.0.1.4_386_46197 beta firmware in the below thread in a hailmary attempt it might solve my frequent disconnects. So far it's been nearly 24 hours without a disconnect, which is pretty unprecedented. Not going to declare victory just yet, but I'm 95% sure that this solved the issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!