What's new

XTERM - Did I mess things up?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elbubi

Regular Contributor
Hi!

Been fidling with my recently arrived GT6000, and I guess I might spoiled something.

To the facts: I opened an ssh session and run "htop" just to see loads, mems, etc.
As the result was "htop: not found", I did "ipkg install htop" as did a long time ago on my previous AC87U to be able to use this tool.
To my surprise, when trying to run htop I got "Error opening terminal: xterm."
Then, I misguessed "ok, xterm is needed to run htop, let's install it". To my deeper suprise, when running "ipkg install xterm", a pretty large bunch of packages got installed.
Running htop just outputs the same error, thus xterm install was not the issue.
As I did not want to mess things up having a lot of unnecesary things installed, I then removed all those related xterm installed packages:

Code:
e2fslibs
freetype
gconv-modules
libpng
pthread-stubs
xau
xcb
xdmcp
x11
ice
xext
xpm
sm
fontconfig
xt
xmu
xaw
xterm
xft
xinerama
xrender

Did I make the right choice or have I removed some wanted and/or needed pre installed packages?
Besides, what would be the right procedure to make htop work on this model?
I searched for similar issues but changing TERM variable does not work in my case (echo $TERM => xterm)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Use AMTM to manage Entware packages, then do your own tweaks. I'm just guessing you passed that step.

You can do this:

Bash:
opkg install htop

PS: These are its dependencies:

Bash:
➜ opkg depends htop
htop depends on:
        libc
        libssp
        librt
        libpthread
        libncurses

As the result was "htop: not found", I did "ipkg install htop" as did a long time ago on my previous AC87U to be able to use this tool.

ipkg is the wrong command to use. I think that's what Download Master uses. On Merlin's firmware you should install Entware (through amtm) and then use the opkg command to install things.

EDIT: While looking for some more information about Download Master I found this thread from six years ago by someone called @elbubi. If you are trying to do the same on your new router you'll likely going to have ongoing problems. As mentioned in your other thread, this is an Asus issue and nothing to do with Merlin or Entware. The optware-ng htop package hasn't been updated since 2017 and it's possible that it's simply incompatible with the GT-AX6000 which uses a completely different architecture than those 2017 era routers.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your replies!

Use AMTM to manage Entware packages, then do your own tweaks. I'm just guessing you passed that step.
I did'n install Entware cause in my past experience on AC87U was not needed just to install and run htop using preinstalled Optware. Guess its not the same with ax6000

You can do this:

Bash:
opkg install htop
Thanks for the hint, will do if a decide to install Entware.

ipkg is the wrong command to use. I think that's what Download Master uses. On Merlin's firmware you should install Entware (through amtm) and then use the opkg command to install things.

EDIT: While looking for some more information about Download Master I found this thread from six years ago by someone called @elbubi. If you are trying to do the same on your new router you'll likely going to have ongoing problems. As mentioned in your other thread, this is an Asus issue and nothing to do with Merlin or Entware.
Correct, in fact that manual update procedure is what i've used in the past years to update download master when new versions does not show up on gui.
A few other Optware packages shows up too besides DM.

Code:
:/tmp/home/root# ipkg --help

ipkg: unrecognized option `--help'
ipkg: ipkg must have one sub-command argument
ipkg version 0.99.163
usage: ipkg [options...] sub-command [arguments...]
where sub-command is one of:

Package Manipulation:
        update                  Update list of available packages
        upgrade                 Upgrade all installed packages to latest version
        install <pkg>           Download and install <pkg> (and dependencies)
        install <file.ipk>      Install package <file.ipk>
        configure [<pkg>]       Configure unpacked packages
        remove <pkg|regexp>     Remove package <pkg|packages following regexp>
        flag <flag> <pkg> ...   Flag package(s) <pkg>
         <flag>=hold|noprune|user|ok|installed|unpacked (one per invocation)

Informational Commands:
        list                    List available packages and descriptions
        list_installed          List all and only the installed packages and description
        files <pkg>             List all files belonging to <pkg>
        search <file|regexp>            Search for a package providing <file>
        info [pkg|regexp]               Display all info for <pkg>
        status [pkg|regexp]             Display all status for <pkg>
        download <pkg>          Download <pkg> to current directory.
        compare_versions <v1> <op> <v2>
                                  compare versions using <= < > >= = << >>
        print_architecture      prints the architecture.
        print_installation_architecture
        whatdepends [-A] [pkgname|pat]+
        whatdependsrec [-A] [pkgname|pat]+
        whatprovides [-A] [pkgname|pat]+
        whatconflicts [-A] [pkgname|pat]+
        whatreplaces [-A] [pkgname|pat]+
                                prints the installation architecture.

Code:
@GT-AX6000:/tmp/home/root# ipkg list_installed
asuslighttpd - 3.1.0.112 -
bzip2 - 1.0.6-2 -
downloadmaster - 3.1.0.114 -
expat - 2.2.0-1 -
libevent - 2.0.20-3 -
libiconv - 1.13.1-1 -
libnsl - 1.0.15-1 -
libpar2 - 0.2-7 -
libsigc++ - 2.4.1-2 -
libstdc++ - 6.0.24-2 -
libxml2 - 2.7.8-2 -
ncurses - 5.7-8 -
ncurses-base - 5.7-8 -
ncursesw - 5.7-3 -
pcre - 8.36-2 -
readline - 6.1-2 -
spawn-fcgi - 1.6.3-1 -
uclibc-opt - 1.0.27-2 -
wxbase - 2.8.12-2 -
zlib - 1.2.11-2 -
Successfully terminated.

If you run "ipkg update" and then "ipkg upgrade", the installed ipkg packages will get updated to their latest available versions.
Don't know if its a healthy rutine or might break something thats working just fine.

The optware-ng htop package hasn't been updated since 2017 and it's possible that it's simply incompatible with the GT-AX6000 which uses a completely different architecture than those 2017 era routers.
This may be the cause why its just not working this time.

Thanks once again for all your help.
My main concern is to not have made any "damage" to my current OS behaviour by uninstalling all those xterm related packages if one of them came preinstalled and is needed for normal OS rutines.
My second concern is if it was still possible to install and run htop using preinstalled optware without the need to install entware.

Regards and once again thanks for your time.

My main concern is to not have made any "damage" to my current OS behaviour by uninstalling all those xterm related packages if one of them came preinstalled and is needed for normal OS rutines.
The basic OS isn't reliant on having a USB drive attached with system software (xterm or otherwise) installed on it. The only concern would be if you installed packages that conflicted with the router's own existing version, e.g. find, grep, wget, etc.

If in doubt just remove Download Master, erase any asusware* directories on the USB drive (or format the drive) and reinstall afresh what you need.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!