What's new

YazDHCP YazDHCP - feature expansion of DHCP assignments (increasing limit on the number of DHCP reservations)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Always wanted to start my own VPN provider, and offer up a REALLY nice API that doesn't cause any headaches... and doesn't "leak" any information or whatnot unbeknownst to anyone of course... or may be a cloud backup service that integrates directly into some nefarious AiProtection-like executable that runs in the background that does "who knows what" and supposedly backs up your data!

Or maybe a nice shell script that serves up all the closest delicious spicy Indian and Oriental restaurants within a 20km radius called "SPICYMON"! :p
But seriously, we could do a DHCPMON.

Does YazDHCP also backup "Client Name"? There are MAC, IP, HOSTNAME and DNS in the DHCP_clients.csv but no Client Name.

Does YazDHCP also backup "Client Name"? There are MAC, IP, HOSTNAME and DNS in the DHCP_clients.csv but no Client Name.
On the latest "1.0.6" version, YazDHCP has the option to back up & restore custom user icons, and using this feature includes backing up the custom client names. Note that you must have at least one custom user icon set up for the "back up & restore" option to be enabled.

See the following post for further details:

On the latest "1.0.6" version, YazDHCP has the option to back up & restore custom user icons, and using this feature includes backing up the custom client names. Note that you must have at least one custom user icon set up for the "back up & restore" option to be enabled.

See the following post for further details:

Got it. Thanks so much.

Hi, I just freshly installed things up on a new AX86U Pro router. I formatted the USB SSD, installed entware, swap, disk checker, date keeper, command history, diversion, and YazDHCP.

I think I only briefly connected the router to a few computers while updating FW and configuring the base firmware.

YazDHCP seem to be working for what it is currently just idling, but I noticed on the Network Map page in the Client details that it shows some clients have a "static" assignment while others "DHCP" (automatic) ... but I have zero manual static LAN leases and I even disabled Manual Assignment for testing purposes.

It is mostly correct but one of the client entries for a Windows 10 PCs appears as "MSFT 5.0" instead of it's OS assigned hostname. Then another client entry for a computer which was initially used for configuring the router with EndeavourOS (Arch Linux) and is now using a fresh install of OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (KDE), is still showing the old hostname, so perhaps some kind of caching going on there on the router, but I installed YazDHCP (and the rest) after I switched to using oSUSE for interfacing with the router (web config, ssh, filezilla, etc) However inspecting "hostnamectl" in Terminal under this new installation shows I haven't set a "static hostname" and only the "transient" one is set (which is what the initial installer does on it's own and doesn't ask more), this tranisent hostname is indeed different than the one router keeps using.

Continuing, that one Win10 computer is however using a very old version of Windows 10 there though (while others are more recent), and it being a laptop, it's the two of the most obvious and immediate differences I can quickly see right now.

This is just some first observations, feedback, not a big deal tho as I later plan to set static leases, but I'm happy to report on potential bugs nontheless.

My question is how much does YazDHCP into these areas so that I can better gauge if it's the base FW to blame or not. Does YazDHCP also modify which hostnames, icons, etc it picks by default?

There's probably also differences in the newer merlin FW versus the way AX68 behaved on an older FW that I could be mixing in between so I'm not jumping to any conclusions.

All clients are wired, I don't have wireless enabled at all.

Last edited:
Hi, I just freshly installed things up on a new router AX86U Pro, formatted the USB SSD, entware, swap, diversion, YazDHCP and a few other minor scripts ...

I think I only briefly connected the router to a few computers while updating FW and configuring the base firmware.

YazDHCP seem to be working for what it is currently just idling, but I noticed on the Network Map page in the Client details that it shows some clients have a "static" assignment while others "DHCP" (automatic) ... but I have zero manual static LAN leases and I even disabled Manual Assignment for testing purposes.

My question is how much does YazDHCP into these areas so that I can better gauge if it's the base FW to blame or not. Does YazDHCP also modify which hostnames, icons, etc it picks by default?

It is mostly correct but one of the Windows 10 PCs appears as "MSFT 5.0" instead of it's hostname. That computer is however using a very old version of Windows 10 there though (while others are more recent), and it being a laptop, it's the two of the most obvious and immediate differences I can quickly see right now. Not a big deal tho as

There's probably also differences in the newer merlin FW versus the way AX68 behaved on an older FW that I could be mixing in between.

All clients are wired, I don't have wireless enabled at all.
Do any of your clients hardcode IP address?

Do any of your clients hardcode IP address?

Sorry I was just finishing up the post there and your quote shows the older version of it.

No, all set to Auto-DHCP. Perhaps maybe one of the printers but I'd have to check because we replaced one and added new ones recently.

Printers can be notoriously problematic not just in networking but in general so once things are set I really want to avoid touching much (this is partially because non-tech-savvy people can have mental breakdown if their printer doesn't work for a moment). All printers are LAN wired also, no USB, no WiFi.

Last edited:
No by default YazDHCP does not pick the icons used by the firmware for the manually reserved clients. It is the Asus firmware itself that will at times determine the host icon and host name by polling the network adapter used. A person can set their own custom icon if they so choose and YazDHCP will now export/import that custom icon. A person can set their own custom names as well. YazDHCP will export/import the Hostname value from the manual reservation if that value is set. At its core YazDHCP is for exporting/importing the manual reservations (and custom icons if any). It exports/imports the; MAC, IP, HOSTNAME, DNS manual reservation values.

If you haven't done so already you can read more about YazDHCP and what it does at the following link:

No by default YazDHCP does not pick the icons used by the firmware for the manually reserved clients. It is the Asus firmware itself that will at times determine the host icon and host name by polling the network adapter used. A person can set their own custom icon if they so choose and YazDHCP will now export/import that custom icon. A person can set their own custom names as well. YazDHCP will export/import the Hostname value from the manual reservation if that value is set. At its core YazDHCP is for exporting/importing the manual reservations (and custom icons if any). It exports/imports the; MAC, IP, HOSTNAME, DNS manual reservation values.

If you haven't done so already you can read more about YazDHCP and what it does at the following link:

Thanks

These PCs are tweaked a lot as well, network card configurations, windows OS networking, registry settings, perhaps a protocol or some port is configured differently and the router doesn't get the hostname from that machine propery.

Additionaly the Android TV boxes end up showing as "android-dhcp-9", both exactly the same. I remember editing "network name" in some of the configuration for them, and it was something completely different by default, I'll have another look.
https://hwaddress.com/oui-iab/98-77-E7/ and https://hwaddress.com/oui-iab/90-F8-91/

Otherwise this is probably a Merlin FW issue to discuss on I might open a separate thread later if there's more severe inconsistencies.

Last edited:
There is some discussion from RMerlin at the following link that briefly explains how device names are sourced:

I have a few questions about YazDHCP:
  • How does YazDHCP handle IP addresses for Guest Network 1 that uses a VLAN with 192.168.101.xxx addresses? Custom IP address assignments for this VLAN aren't possible with stock ASUS or stock Merlin.
  • Has anyone tried running YazDHCP on an ASUS router operating in AP mode? Routers in AP mode allow custom icons and names in the client list, but there is no control over address assignment.

Do I have a bug?

Router: RT-68U Firmware: Merlin 316.13 YazDHCP 1.06
42 entries in my manual assignment list.

I use YazDHCP a year of so no problem.
Last weekend I updated tot 316.13 (Don't now if the error is there)
I also did a few edits on the manual DCHP assignment.
To following day (reset at night) my whole network was a mesh. All manual DHCP's where gone in YazDHCP manual assignment list.

Restored a backup (jiff) and it works again. But if I make edits to the manual assignment list, I can repeat this.
The list is gone or just 2 entries remain. The Max-limit on the list also varies form 191 tot 158.

If I restore the backup and do not edit, there is no problem.
If I edit, I get problems. Sometimes after 1 edit, sometimes after 2 or 3 edits.
The export (CSV) gives then thing like:
00:E0:4C:68:02:FB,192.168.2.undefined,USBnetworkdongle,

Any advice?

Edit: New USB stick has no effect. Again my list of manual IP is down to 1 entry.

Last edited:
The export (CSV) gives then thing like:
When making the manual edits are you adding or including a DNS Server value? Maybe check the DNS Server fields in the manual list to ensure you don't have any extraneous entries or values. Normally if there isn't a DNS Server entry for the manual entry, the export value will look like this example:
Code:
C8:3A:6B:22:11:AA,192.168.2.10,Roku,
Other things to check, avoid special characters for the manual Hostnames.

I know. And direct after restore of my backup (jffs restore), the format is correct:
00:E0:4C:68:02:FB,192.168.2.90,USBnetworkdongle,

But after a edit (sometime 2 or 3) and export after every edit, this happens:

The last part of the IP-adres becomes undefined. The bold is my edit.

After a reload of the page all my entries are gone (most of the the with 1 or 2 exceptions)
After a reset of the router, my whole network is borked..

In the UI I see this after a edit:

Schermafbeelding 2024-04-19 150530.jpg

Last edited:
Oke, seems I fixed it.

- made a csv export and checked export (no unassiged, direct after restore of jffs)
- SSH into router and deinstalled YazDHCP
- reboot
- SSH into router and installed YazDHCP
- reboot
- Import csv export and apply

Now it seems to be working.