What's new

YazDHCP YazDHCP - feature expansion of DHCP assignments (increasing limit on the number of DHCP reservations)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I thought that I can use this addon to add manually assigned IP addresses. However, I cannot figure out how to do that by reading the readme :(
Am I mistaken in my assumption? If not, can someone point me to how to manually assign IP addresses using this tool?
Open GUI, go to LAN/DHCP Server
Select Export (to create a file)
Select Import (to import file)

I thought that I can use this addon to add manually assigned IP addresses. However, I cannot figure out how to do that by reading the readme :(
Am I mistaken in my assumption? If not, can someone point me to how to manually assign IP addresses using this tool?
Generally one would create the manually assigned IP addresses under LAN > DHCP Server > Manual Assignment. Set Enable Manual Assignment option to Yes then one would use the Manually Assigned IP addresses in the DHCP scope to enter each client assigned IP address, using the plus inside a circle icon on the right to add the assignment.

ManualAssignment.jpg

One of the main features of YazDHCP is the ability to export a created manually assigned DHCP list so that it can be imported later if one resets the router or for some other reason. Example of the YazDHCP section on the LAN > DHCP Server page.

YazDHCP.jpg

Never tried it, but I assume one could create their own properly formatted CSV file with the manually assigned IP addresses and import it, making sure to have YazDHCP installed and Enable Manual Assignment set to Yes before hand. One may have to reboot the router after importing the CSV file.

Example CVS file code:
Code:
MAC,IP,HOSTNAME,DNS
AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF,192.168.1.10,Client1Name,
AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF,192.168.1.11,Client2Name,
AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF,192.168.1.12,Client3Name,
AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF,192.168.1.13,Client4Name,
AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF,192.168.1.14,Client5Name,
Note: In the above code example the optional DNS value is not assigned to a client entry. Manual clients, in this example, would use the default DNS.

Example CVS file code with optional DNS.
Code:
MAC,IP,HOSTNAME,DNS
AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF,192.168.1.10,Client1Name,8.8.8.8
AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF,192.168.1.11,Client2Name,8.8.8.8
AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF,192.168.1.12,Client3Name,8.8.8.8
AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF,192.168.1.13,Client4Name,8.8.8.8
AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF,192.168.1.14,Client5Name,8.8.8.8

As always, one proceeds at their own risk so make sure to backup your settings before hand just in case.

Last edited:
Thank you JohnD5000 and bennor! I did think that export and import is one of the main functionalities provided by yazDHCP.
This from the readme, made me think that I can update the hostnames and staticlist file to manually assign DHCP
addn-hosts contains a list of IP address to hostname mappings, for DNS resolution of DHCP reserved clients
dhcp-hostsfile contains a list of MAC address to IP address bindings, to reserve a DHCP IP address for a MAC address

I found this and other scripts after having to reset the router (as a result of dead pi-hole). So I have already lost my 60+ static DHCPs. I will remember to export the new list that I create from regular UI. It will be faster to create a CSV, but do not want to risk making typos or other errors in that file.
I will also be looking at adguardhome as a potential replacement of my pi-hole setup. There is a lot of new stuff for me to learn! Thanks Yaz and others who have created a rich set of scripts!

I will also be looking at adguardhome as a potential replacement of my pi-hole setup.
The other option (depending on one's configuration), if using Pi-Hole is to have Pi-Hole serve as the DHCP server. One can similarly configure the Pi-Hole DHCP server to reserve static IP addresses for network clients. One would disable the Asus-Merlin DHCP server and let Pi-Hole serve as the DHCP server.

How do I use Pi-hole’s built in DHCP server (and why would I want to)?

The other option (depending on one's configuration), if using Pi-Hole is to have Pi-Hole serve as the DHCP server. One can similarly configure the Pi-Hole DHCP server to reserve static IP addresses for network clients. One would disable the Asus-Merlin DHCP server and let Pi-Hole serve as the DHCP server.

How do I use Pi-hole’s built in DHCP server (and why would I want to)?
It is possible to do such, but it is not very clean when doing such from an RPI on the same network as the Asuswrt-Merlin Router. One reason being that the dhcpv6 network does not behave as cleanly as the dhcpv4 and therefore must be partially enabled for pihole to use ipv6. However, I have done this on an 86x64 openwrt minipc with pihole running in docker, and it worked great.

Thanks for creating YazDHCP, found it just at the right time when I hit the 64 devices limit .

Just to make sure, it should work fine if I have a second AiMesh node behind my main router?

I use a larger number of "smart sockets" flashed with Tasmota firmware, they do not all connect at the same time but having them in the DHCP reservation list helps keeping track.

Dear Jack Yaz,

Thanks for creating YazDHCP!

I found a problem with this plugin:

router - Asus AC86U
Router firmware - merlin 386.7_2
YazDHCP - v. 1.0.4

Problem:
after adding 65-th devise for static DHCP - 5GHz WIFI stop starting after reboot.
After deleting any MAC address (not necessarily the one that was added last), everything starts OK.

Please advise how to proceed.
Thank you

I also use YazDHCP but on an AX88U running Merlin 386.8.

I have 83 DHCP reservations and everything, including 2.4 & 5 GHz WiFi works fine.

after adding 65-th devise for static DHCP - 5GHz WIFI stop starting after reboot.

I just tried to reproduce this, but everything seems to work.
Same router AC86U, same firmware v386.7_2.
I used to have 63 DHCP devices, now I entered a few more and rebooted the router.
/jffs/addons/YazDHCP.d/.hostnames now has 68 hostnames.
Wireless 5GHz still working.

So sorry for a dumb question. I installed Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7_2 and YazDHCP today on RT-AC86U. I used Putty. All went well and I get 128 IP reservations. Then I did a stupid thing and reboot. After that it went back to 64. It stayed at 64 even when I launched YazDHCP menu and selected option 1. I could not get 128 anymore. What have I done wrong?

It stayed at 64 even when I launched YazDHCP menu and selected option 1.
If you haven't done so already, try uninstalling YazDHCP (option z in the CLI) then reinstalling it.

Thanks for creating YazDHCP, found it just at the right time when I hit the 64 devices limit .

Just to make sure, it should work fine if I have a second AiMesh node behind my main router?

I use a larger number of "smart sockets" flashed with Tasmota firmware, they do not all connect at the same time but having them in the DHCP reservation list helps keeping track.
Hello,

I have been using both Merlin firmware and YazDHCP since over a year now, and it has been a great stress- and problem-less experience.
Thanks to all of those who devoted their time and knowhow to offer us this great tools.

Fun enough, AlexHK, I also moved to YazDHCP because of all of my ESP IoT devices flashed with Tasmota ;-)

I have the same question: what if I buy a second router and set the two of them to run in AiMesh mode, will YazDHCP work fine?
Did you have any chance to try and get that to work?

Thanks,
aldweb

I have the same question: what if I buy a second router and set the two of them to run in AiMesh mode, will YazDHCP work fine?
Did you have any chance to try and get that to work?

Thanks,
aldweb
in AiMesh, IIRC the router is assigning client IP addresses through the nodes they're connected to, so YazDHCP should work just fine. Adding a 2nd "router" and creating an AiMesh node shouldn't create any network havoc; the clients themselves should migrate to whichever Wireless Access Point shows the strongest signal from their perspective.
This is assuming a wired backhaul between router and node...you'll have to dig into the AiMesh threads to see what people who are doing wireless backhauls have to say

in AiMesh, IIRC the router is assigning client IP addresses through the nodes they're connected to, so YazDHCP should work just fine. Adding a 2nd "router" and creating an AiMesh node shouldn't create any network havoc; the clients themselves should migrate to whichever Wireless Access Point shows the strongest signal from their perspective.
This is assuming a wired backhaul between router and node...you'll have to dig into the AiMesh threads to see what people who are doing wireless backhauls have to say
It works, both wired and wireless backhaul, for primary network only (not guest).