What's new

ZenWiFi AX XT8 Firmware 3.0.0.4.386_43169

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for this. It’s so strange - 42095 made my node go haywire. It would disconnect a few times an hour, going from a “great” signal to “weak” and then fully disconnecting with a blue led light on the node for about 20 minutes and then rebooting. 25790 has been rock solid. I really hope ASUS can figure out how to make a newer version that is stable. I’m getting a little nervous though - particularly with two firmware versions released within 3 days of each other and reported problems with both.
I have rolled back to 42095 that has been perfect for me.

Just downgraded the firmware on all of my XT8 units to version 386_42095 and, lo and behold, my Lenovo phone connected instantly. The latest upgrade is clearly a problem for Lenovo and Moto phones.

Some issues I noted with 43169/43170:
- Today my 4th node was connected to the 2nd node with 2.4ghz, instead of being conntected to 3rd node with 5.0Ghz
- Only 3 of 4 cores of the cpu are used
- The free ram is decreasing daily... from 130 when I upgraded firmware... then 115, now 99,...

Attachments

• ram.png
    ram.png
    25 KB · Views: 104
Phy speed in software 3.0.0.4.386_42095 is good, Screen of 42095:
3.0.0.4.386_42095.png

In software 43169/43170 it is max 1400-1600Mbps
I was forced to go back to 42095 is better, it works faster.

- Today my 4th node was connected to the 2nd node with 2.4ghz, instead of being conntected to 3rd node with 5.0Ghz
- The free ram is decreasing daily... from 130 when I upgraded firmware... then 115, now 99,...
I experienced the node dropping back to the 2.4Ghz band, and then losing the connection completely, a couple of times on Tuesday after changing back to 42095. Looking at the config, I noticed that the rollback had enabled the use of 160 MHz for the backhaul; on checking the logs, radar interference had been detected and thus the backhaul was temporarily stopped. I live in the UK and can't use 160MHz for the 5GHz backhaul because of radar interface. I changed the channel to use 80MHz and since then, I haven't experienced any problems.

I'm now assuming that when I originally upgraded the FW to 43169 and then 43170 I hadn't noticed that this would by default use 160MHz on the 5.2 backhaul and was probably the cause of all my problems with both those FW versions. I'm tempted to install the latest version once again but right now, everything is fine and has been so for a couple of days.

Reverted to 42095...
The core's usage is the same (core 4 is often at 0%), but the free ram is boosted up to 160mb...

Reverted to 42095...
The core's usage is the same (core 4 is often at 0%), but the free ram is boosted up to 160mb...
It's is perfectly normal for BCM6755, since the fourth core mainly handles USB-related I/O operations.

It's is perfectly normal for BCM6755, since the fourth core mainly handles USB-related I/O operations.

Good to know!... Thank you! ;)

I experienced the node dropping back to the 2.4Ghz band, and then losing the connection completely, a couple of times on Tuesday after changing back to 42095. Looking at the config, I noticed that the rollback had enabled the use of 160 MHz for the backhaul; on checking the logs, radar interference had been detected and thus the backhaul was temporarily stopped. I live in the UK and can't use 160MHz for the 5GHz backhaul because of radar interface. I changed the channel to use 80MHz and since then, I haven't experienced any problems.

I'm now assuming that when I originally upgraded the FW to 43169 and then 43170 I hadn't noticed that this would by default use 160MHz on the 5.2 backhaul and was probably the cause of all my problems with both those FW versions. I'm tempted to install the latest version once again but right now, everything is fine and has been so for a couple of days.

In my system, the 5Ghz-2 is set to "20/40/80/160" for the channel bandwith: automatically the backhaul network set itself to 80Mhz... never seen 160 Mhz used on my system. I don't know why, but it is really not a problem at all. A 5ghz 80Mhz bandwith is greatly over my LAN and Internet usage

Last edited:
So should we update to 43170 or is it best to stick to 43095? Last time I messed around for hours after an update, this time I don’t feel like being ASUS’ guinea pig.

As per my earlier post, I now think my problems with the latest FW arose because of the use of 160MHz on the 5GHz backhaul channel. Having set this back to 80MHz (on 42095) I've had no problems at all, stable now for 3 days. I believe if I used this setting with 43170, it'd probably have been fine. However, am I going to upgrade the FW again.... probably not (for now).

As per my earlier post, I now think my problems with the latest FW arose because of the use of 160MHz on the 5GHz backhaul channel. Having set this back to 80MHz (on 42095) I've had no problems at all, stable now for 3 days. I believe if I used this setting with 43170, it'd probably have been fine. However, am I going to upgrade the FW again.... probably not (for now).
Are you in the UK by chance? Many folks in the UK seem to have issues like that due to interference from the weather radar.

Are you in the UK by chance? Many folks in the UK seem to have issues like that due to interference from the weather radar.
Yep, using 160MHz is inviting trouble with the backhaul channel here. I'm fine sticking with 80MHz.

I reverted back to 42095 a couple days ago. Everything was fine at first on 43169, but after a day or so I started getting constant disconnects because the node was rebooting about every ten minutes. When it was connected, it was only using 2.4ghz, as others have also reported. There didn't seem to be any issues with the 'base' node, though. Upgrading to 43170 didn't seem to make a difference either.

Everything's back to normal on 42095.

How do I revert to a specific firmware? I have had a nightmare since upgrading a few weeks ago.
Do I need to do a factory reset and will it let me choose a specific firm after that? Im assuming it will update to the latest firm?

Manually download the firmware you need from above link and update from the Asus router UI below:

Watch video below from 1min 55 onwards for instructions

Manually download the firmware you need from above link and update from the Asus router UI below:

Watch video below from 1min 55 onwards for instructions

Thank you for the quick reply!
Another question, I have 4 nodes wired back to the central node. Does the firmware reversion apply to all of them simultaneously or do I have to do one by one? A bit nervous to mess something up.

Edit, Found the info. Will have to do them one by one.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online