What's new

Zenwifi XT8 - SMB Share - Can´t write?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rubl7

New Around Here
Hi all

Hope someone can assist with my issue.

I just bought a Zenwifi XT8 to replace my AirPort Extreme. And the setup of the new router was going fine, until I tried to access my external USB HDD which I share through the XT8 as a Samba share.
Before I shared the USB HDD through my AirPort Extreme, without any issues.

The issue is that I have no write access to the share.
But I can find the share, view files/folders and execute files from the share on my Mac(10.15), without any issue.

In the Asus router, I have setup and activate Samba.
- Added a device name (SHARE) and Work Group (WORKGROUP)
- Setup a new user and given that user R/W rights (Couldn't log on with the standard user for some reason)
- When my Mac ask for credentials to the share I type in and get access, but I still cannot write to the share

I have tried creating new users and given the users R/W rights as well, but no luck.

I also tried to activate FTP and log-on to that, but still no write access.

The only workaround I have found, is to "Allow guest login" from the XT8 Samba share setup page. If I do that everything is working fine. But that shouldn't be necessary, and I would really like to have a password on the share.

I have tried to search for a solution, but haven't had any luck so far. So I am hopeful someone here can help me out with this headscratcher.

Not really sure what else I should add, but if someone can help me out, but need more information, just let me know.

Thx

The issue is that I have no write access to the share.
But I can find the share, view files/folders and execute files from the share on my Mac(10.15), without any issue.

With a PC, I have to create root folders from within the router webUI. Windows 10 has r/w access within these root folders, but I cannot drop into these root folders. Windows 10 requires enabling SAMBA 1.0 Client.

Windows 10 can use the router admin credentials to login to the network drive. So, I don't have to create additional users in the router webUI.

I have not tried guest login.

OE