What's new

ZoneEdit DDNS is down on HTTP - Available on HTTPS, can firmware be adjusted?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EdisonW

New Around Here
Hello all,

Like a few here have noticed, the ZoneEdit DDNS system has been failing to register inside the Asus Merlin firmware for a while now.

As a paying customer of ZoneEdit, I reached out to their tech support, and received the following response:

Thank you for contacting Customer Care.

We apologize for any inconvenience. We are currently experiencing issues with our dynamic dns service. Our system engineers are working to bring DDNS back online, but we are not yet able to provide a time frame for resolution. We are advised that DDNS is working on HTTPS, but your DDNS client needs to support HTTPS.

If DDNS is critical for your business, it may be prudent to find another solution while we work to correct the problem.
Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

According to this, we'd need to switch the Asus Merlin firmware to use HTTPS to perform the registration handshake, which I believe should be using HTTPS in any event for security.

Is this something that can accomplished by an end-user of a device, or would Merlin have to make this adjustment?

Cheers

Nothing that can be done at this point. ez-ipupdate does not support SSL, neither does inadyn (the alternative I looked at).

You would have to contact the ez-ipupdate maintainer to ask him to implement SSL support.

For the time being, you could use DNS o Matic, which can update zoneEdit

Thanks for the information guys, most helpful! Now I won't have to waste any more time on this :)

Trying DNS o Matic, as I already run everything thru OpenDNS, but it also seems to have issues updating ZoneEdit...

Also, my PPTP VPN has also failed... I can no longer connect to the router via DNS name, only IP.

If I disable DDNS on the router, will it resume responding to PPTP requests aimed at the FQDN assigned via DNS o Matic?

Cheers

Thanks for the information guys, most helpful! Now I won't have to waste any more time on this :)

Trying DNS o Matic, as I already run everything thru OpenDNS, but it also seems to have issues updating ZoneEdit...

Also, my PPTP VPN has also failed... I can no longer connect to the router via DNS name, only IP.

If I disable DDNS on the router, will it resume responding to PPTP requests aimed at the FQDN assigned via DNS o Matic?

Cheers

Is there a specific feature, provided bij ZoneEdit, besides DDNS? Otherwise you could try noip.com.

If DDNS is disabled on the router, it will no longer try to inform your DDNS provider about a possible IP change.
PPTP seems to fail since your DNS is no longer pointing to the right IPadress.