What's new

ZyXEL AV2 600 Powerline Adapters

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HaroldCallahan

New Around Here
I gave up waiting for the MOCA 2 adapters. I pulled the trigger on the ZyXEL AV2 600Mbps Powerline Adapters (PLA5215KIT).

So far, I am getting 195Mbps Transmit and 135Mbps Receive (using the ZyXEL PLA Configuration utility.)

Very happy with the ease of the installation and setup. My run is over 3 floors (sub basement to the 2nd floor.) Network performance appears to be similar as for when I placed my cable modem on the 2nd floor.

-Callahan-

BTW: the pass thru of the PLA5215 is not really that effective, as you loose the use of the alternate plug on the outlet. The housing for the pass thru adapter actually inhibits the use of the 2nd power outlet (covers the ground of the free outlet.) But I knew this before buying it.

Hey Callahan,
I appreciate you posting your experience. I've been thinking about some new powerlines, and this is great information.

Just to be absolutely sure, you get a 1GB network connection with these? (I don't know if the PLA util is showing speed between powerline adapters or actual endpoints.)

Many 500+MB/s still connect at only 100MB/s at the computer :(

Justin

Out of curiosity, is this reported link rate (What it sounds like) or is this actual tested throughput? As I'd assume the later is significantly less than what is being reported (I'd assume 1/5-1/3 the reported link rate if that is what you are talking about).

However, if it is sufficient for your needs that is really all you need.

I have about 6 servers, 4 workstations and another 12+ devices on my network. I was concerned that my internet traffic would suffer over the PLAs. My torrent download traffic easily cruises above 8MB/second (when there are lots of peers) directly over the PLAs.

The through-puts I put in my original post were from the ZyXEL PLA Utility.

-Callahan-

Okay, thanks. Then I assume that is link rate. Though getting ~64Mbps actual through put over powerline is actually quite decent.

Just a followup, been using the ZyXel's now for 7 months and have not had any issues.

Strictly plug, configure and play. Have 6 devices operating over it and have isolated all traffic onto my in house network.

-Callahan-

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!