What's new

378.56_2, Network Map and IPTraffic hostnames

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Veky

Regular Contributor
Hi,

Did Asus change the way hostnames are displayed in the Network Map and IPTraffic?

In 378.55 they would display the hostname if it was set in the DHCP reservation, which was nice.

In 378.56 they display the original hostname, manufacturer or even workgroup name. One client is now shown as "Neotune Information Technology Corporation, .LTD" which is ridiculous. The only clients which actually do show the DHCP hostnames are two TVs.

The wireless log and DHCP leases page are showing the desired hostnames.

If you click on a client in the Network Map and set the same name as the DHCP hostname, this works alright, but the IPTraffic doesn't change the hostnames.

Thanks.

Networkmap is Asus's code, while IPTraffic is mine. I started harmonizing things over the past two versions to they don't conflict, but it's a lot of code to cover, and Asus are still making changes to their own code, so it will take a few releases before things get in sync again.

Networkmap is Asus's code, while IPTraffic is mine. I started harmonizing things over the past two versions to they don't conflict, but it's a lot of code to cover, and Asus are still making changes to their own code, so it will take a few releases before things get in sync again.

Thanks, I figured it was Asus poking around. Today, for example, it started showing MAC addresses for hostnames. Perhaps it depends on the current weather outside, who knows.

Maybe they are making these changes because of their new Android app, which is also showing some interesting hostnames. Hopefully they will reach a consensus regarding this for the web interface and mobile app.

This is getting very disturbing to me. At the moment IP traffic can't be used easily if you have several identical devices in the net. For example we have 3 Oneplus 1 and they are all showing like Google(Android) and I have no way to rename their description, since it's not taken from network map, where name can be edited. Is there a walkaround to this? is it a known bug/limitation that is going to be fixed?
Thanks