What's new

AC68U OpenVPN service running even when switched off.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kitch9

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I've just installed a new AC68U and installed Merlins latest firmware. I have just noticed that the OpenVPN service is being reported as running even when the client is switched off in settings. Is there anything I am missing or does it run by default?

Check that all of them are off. :)

If on is indicated, then something is running.

I seem to remember there was a change in an nvram var handling between stock and Merlin....I think it's one of the VPN servers that incorrectly gets set to on. Just turn it off.

John's right. Asus changed the behaviour of the VPN enabling settings when they ported OpenVPN to the stock FW. Basically, Asus always has the OpenVPN instance enabled, but rely instead on a "global" enable switch to toggle it on or off. Just disable it on the OpenVPN page (first instance) and you'll be fine.

John's right. Asus changed the behaviour of the VPN enabling settings when they ported OpenVPN to the stock FW. Basically, Asus always has the OpenVPN instance enabled, but rely instead on a "global" enable switch to toggle it on or off. Just disable it on the OpenVPN page (first instance) and you'll be fine.

Thanks for your help, it wouldn't let me turn it off, in fact the switch was already off and when I turned in on it jumped back to off and left the service running.

I ended up resetting back to defaults which seems to have sorted the problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!