What's new

ac87u slow internet speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GhostriderZ85

Occasional Visitor
Been using this ac87u in AP mode for a while and it is awesome, 10ms ping, 236mbps down, 23mbps up, and that is consistent. I decided to put my twc tg1672g modem/router combo to bridge mode and switch my ac87u to full blown router only to be disappointed.

After resetting the ac87u and switching it to router mode without touching any configurations, my internet speed has degraded, i am getting around 21ms ping, an unstable download speed which goes anywhere from 100mbps to 180mbps, and really low upload speed of 1mbps, sometimes it even got stuck on upload speed test.

Enabling QOS improves my internet speed noticeably, but nowhere near when the ac87u is on AP mode, it gives me 12ms ping, 190mbps to 236mbps down, and a max of 12mbps up.

I did switch back and forth to AP mode and router mode to confirm this finding. I have a theory that this issue have something to do with bandwidth management/QOS.

My router is on the latest official firmware, and my PC is the only connected device during these test.

I also have twc, 300 down 20 up. I have my own modem sb6183 and use to have the the ac87r. I now have the ac68p and it is working pretty good.

I will tell you that I had 4 ac87r and the QOS and traffic manger are broken, now matter if you put asus fw or merlins fw. QOS is all over the place. I will say this man that modem combo that twc gives you sucks pretty hard, I always had issues with there modem/combo mix.

I bet its the twc modem man. We are a big gamer family here so we always wanted the QOS to work but it caused more issues then helping.

I have tried everything I know and the advice from the people here and still it would just not work right.

Maybe you can try to get the SB6183, I bet you it will start to work for you.

Good luck.

By the way with the ac68p my internet speeds our 350 down 25 to 30 up, very weird. With the ac87r I would get 310 to 320 down and 18 to 22 up. But of course I am also using the sb6183.

i wish i can replace my cable modem/router combo, but the thelephone line is tied in there so it can't be replaced. but i wonder if twc can disable the modem router combo and use it exclusively for telephony, so i can provide my own modem?

but btw, i don't think its the router/modem combo because if i put my ac87u in AP mode it works perfectly.

about the ac87u QOS, disabling QOS will make my internet speed worst as already stated, but with QOS enabled my internet speed is still not as good as when it's on AP mode.

I here you man, I wish I could help you out more, but pretty hard to figure your issue out?? Like I said if I enable QOS it acts up?

Good luck man, hopefully someone will come anlog and maybe help you out.

I also have TWC (ultimate plan), the ac87r, and the SB8163 modem. Never did an update on it but will get it flashed this Saturday with ddw-rt. An IT tech will do the flashing for me. Will let you know what comes of it. As for the set-up I have right now--clueless because a friend had initially set it up. I'm a gamer too (2 xbox1 & 1 360) and will ask the tech if he can 'tweak' the configuration for less lag at the time of set-up. Bye for now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!