What's new

Advice for a first time NAS noob

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Silver5656

New Around Here
So i've finally decided to get a nas. I currently have my desktop with 10tb (2 1tb's on raid 0, a 2tb itunes drive, and a 4x1.5tb external esata raid enclosure not on raid), a macbook pro, a macbook air, and 2 win7 laptops. Its starting to become a huge pain having duplicates and what not. My external esata enclosure is almost full with my pictures and blu ray rips (i legally own over 600 blu rays and over 200 dvd's). Mostly the pain has began with itunes, and trying to keep my desktop, both macs and 1 of the win 7 laptops updated. So I had a few questions.

As I understand (and have read) qnap and synology seem to be the "best". I dont know if I want a 1 bay, 2 bay, or 4 bay (hear me out). 1 bay is the cheapest but it doesnt offer any redundancy. 2 bay offers redundancy but is the least efficient regarding hd space. 4 bay = expensive. As this is my first time with a NAS, I feel like i should test out the waters. Do both qnap and synology offer time machine and itunes? Also, regarding my laptops, can i store my itunes library on the nas as well as an identical library on an external (that way when I travel and not connected to the nas I can still have my library with me).

I dont really plan on using the nas as a backup to my computers (other than time machine) so thats not a big issue (i try and keep my system clean so in a worst case scenario i can just reformat and reinstall)

I tried dabbling with dlna with my ps3 (i have an external usb connected to my router) but its SUPER slow (like 2MB/s slow) so that would be cool as well.

As this is my first step, any addition advice on what extras would be good would also help. I looked at both live demos and they seem ok, but what do I know. Thanks for taking the time to read my long post.

oh one more thing. i looked at compatability of hard drives and printers and i did not see the new 3tb hitachi 5400 rpm drives listed. do they work ok? Also i have an older brother mfc and my exact model is also not listed. it would be awesome if it would

hmmmmmm also is it true that neither qnap or synology can stream itunes videos? just music? that might be a deal breaker for me

Add Netgear Readynas to your list of who makes the best consumer NAS.

Any of the 3 makers can handle Timemachine and manage your iTunes library. If you want iTunes on the NAS and an external you'll want to use the option to open different ITL files in iTunes. Hold the SHIFT key when opening iTunes and select the ITL file location.

Always purchase disks that have been approved by the OEM. I believe Netgear has approved one of the Hitachi 3TB models, either the 5K or 7K3000.

I recommend you visit the Qnap, Synology and Readynas webites as they will give further info on their models and features. There you can read more about Timemachine and iTunes server support.

hmmmmmm also is it true that neither qnap or synology can stream itunes videos? just music? that might be a deal breaker for me

Where did you read this?

I have my iTunes library on my Readynas and have no problem streaming video to my PC's in iTunes or outside iTunes.