What's new

Advice on Asus AC87U with RT-N66U for iPTV and wireless coverage extender

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zard

New Around Here
I'm currently on a 200Mbps Fibre. Using the Asus RT-N66U with WAN connected to the ONT, my iPTV set top box is connected to port 4 (VLAN) using a long ethernet cable. Btw, my new setup will still have Ethernet cable (restriction). I have 2 SSIDs, one each for 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

New Setup
I bought a new Asus AC87U to replace the RT-N66U.

I want to place the RT-N66U next to my set top box and to increase my wireless coverage near to the setup box.

Though option 1:
Will this work?

ONT->AC87U WAN port->AC87U Internet port 1 connect to RT-N66U WAN port->RT-N66U Internet port 4 connect to setup box (VLAN configuration as above).

On the RT-N66U, set to AP mode.

Though option 2:
ONT->AC87U WAN port->AC87U Internet port 1 connect to switch->Switch port 1 to RT-N66U WAN port->RT-N66U Internet port 4 connect to setup box (VLAN configuration as above)

On the RT-N66U, set to AP mode.

For using the RT-N66U to extend Wireless coverage, any advice on how to do that?

1. SSID 1 - 2.4GHz (N)
2. SSID 2 - 5GHz (N)
3. SSID 3 - 5GHz (AC) - new to AC, is this workable or I should just stick to SSID 2 on 5GHz?

Last edited:
You dont need to set the VLAN for the N66u however you should seperate port 4 on the n66u from the rest of the network switch wise. If your IPTV uses tagged VLANs than you may want to keep the VLAN tagged all the way.

You dont need to set the VLAN for the N66u however you should seperate port 4 on the n66u from the rest of the network switch wise. If your IPTV uses tagged VLANs than you may want to keep the VLAN tagged all the way.

Hi, thanks for your fast response. While you were providing the reply, I was correcting my post. Hope you can take a look again.

BTW, I don't understand what you mean by "separate port 4 on n66u from the rest of the network switch wise" and "tagged VLANs". Can you explain further? My knowledge in routers is rather limited. Thanks.

option 2 wont work. I think just tagging the VLAN all the way would work better in option 1.

At a switch it has 2 options for VLANs,tagged or untagged. Untagged would remove vlan tag while tag would add the vlan id to all packets going through that port. When communicating between switches and you want to use vlan you must tag vlans between switches.

If you can do seperate the TV port from being switched/bridged with other LAN ports or wifi. The IPTV works on a seperate VLAN/layer 2 network.

option 2 wont work. I think just tagging the VLAN all the way would work better in option 1.

At a switch it has 2 options for VLANs,tagged or untagged. Untagged would remove vlan tag while tag would add the vlan id to all packets going through that port. When communicating between switches and you want to use vlan you must tag vlans between switches.

If you can do seperate the TV port from being switched/bridged with other LAN ports or wifi. The IPTV works on a seperate VLAN/layer 2 network.

Thank you for the advice.

Finally I managed to start working on my setup as shown below which works.

ONT-AC87U wan - LAN 4 configured for IPTV connected by wire directly - 2.4GHz and 5 GHz SSID 1 and 2 - N66U set to Repeater Mode with wifi connection to AC87U 5Hz SSID - N66U 2.4GHz SSID as wifi extender as SSID 3

AC87U with 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz SSID, Lan 1 and 2 for NAS and webcam, Lan 4 to IPTV.

N66U with 2.4 GHz SSID as wireless extender.