What's new

AFP not on the QT...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

phrehdd

Occasional Visitor
I own a 559pro and so far, it has worked wonderfully for me until this firmware upgrade to QT4.x.

It seems that though QNAP provided a thoughtful interface, AFP (for me) is now totally hosed. I can log in as guest from my Mac but none of my Mac log in accounts to the NAS work. - it simply hangs.

Is there a fix for this? Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas where I can start to figure if there are changes I can do to get things working? I really hate the idea of something as profound as access would be hit. I noticed elsewhere (other forums) some folks having similar issues.

Thanks much in advance!

for those that, like me, didn't know what AFP is... google tells me it's another proprietary Apple thing. Apple Filing Protocol
Why can't one just use SMB?

for those that, like me, didn't know what AFP is... google tells me it's another proprietary Apple thing. Apple Filing Protocol
Why can't one just use SMB?

I'm not a QNAP owner, but AFP is legacy AppleTalk, new (post power PC) Macs cannot even talk to a straight AFP only server.

Samba is obviously the newer service.

I'm not a QNAP owner, but AFP is legacy AppleTalk, new (post power PC) Macs cannot even talk to a straight AFP only server.

Samba is obviously the newer service.

No AFP is Apple File Protocol, its the Mac equivalent of SMB.

All macs (os x) can talk SMB,AFP, NFS, etc...

Nothing really talks AppleTalk anymore, Apple Talk is/was analogous to ethernet tcp/ip

No AFP is Apple File Protocol, its the Mac equivalent of SMB.

All macs (os x) can talk SMB,AFP, NFS, etc...

Nothing really talks AppleTalk anymore, Apple Talk is/was analogous to ethernet tcp/ip

All I know is that if the AppleTalk server was down on a given school day, there would be sharing of HyperCard files on the network (wow my iPhone capitalized HyperCard properly, way to represent your 15+ year old obsolete trademarks! ;) ).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!