What's new

Alight I tried Netgear wgr614 & Linksys wrt54g2 need some advice on what next

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

comfortablynumb

Occasional Visitor
In my first post here I was looking for some buying advice to replace a Netgear MR814 router I've had 8 years.

I at first tried the Netgear WGR614 Version 10, since I've had such good luck with Netgear. Version 10 of this router introduces some new green aspects of the company, it has a power button, wireless radio on/of some other changes. I'm not sure if I had a flaky router, half baked firmware (I checked there where no updates) the wired side would just die, all my tabs in Firefox went 404 skype and my instant messaging logged out, 20 - 30 second go by and it all came back with out touching anything. I checked the logs, my internet had been up and solid for hours, no drops there. I checked the lease and that hadn't been exceeded and or renewed. I also has some issues on the wireless side with one of the computers via WPA getting a IP address if that computer was off over night, reboot router it would assign an IP.

Next up the Linksys WRT54G2, I was never a big Linksys fan but that stems from my days in support and seeing so many issues with them. This router runs really well but since it can't be put vertical it runs really hot I have it right here on my desk, if I pick it up the desk is hot to the touch. It hasn't crashed out like the Netgear was, but I had some issues the other day with speeds dropping from 10mbs to 1mbs, power cycled a few times to no avail. It was really warm, I plugged in my old router and my speeds where fine. I hooked the Linksys back up after it cooled down and it's been ok for 2 days so far.

The Linksys also leaves much to be desired in it's interface, to say it's basic is would be an understatement. When compared to the Netgear it's lacking a log file, there is no way to setup static routes, all and all very very basic. I wasn't running static yet with the 614 when I had the problems, but my old 814 I've had set up to assign static IP's.

So moving forward, I'm looking at what my options are from here. I'm not expecting to run a massive network off a 40 dollar appliance, my needs here are very basic and thus I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars. I prefer to stay with G as this is going in a bedroom and I don't want a high powered radio in here for many reasons. If I have to a single band N running in G only mode, might be alright. I prefer something that can sit vertically, and runs cooler. Also an interface that has a few options would be nice.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Edit:
Also as for as needs are concerned, I have 2 wired PC's, 2 Wireless PC's...Basic web surfing, Skype sometimes, Hulu nothing extremely intensive by any means.

Last edited:
The Belkin N+ router is a vertical router and looks like a pretty good buy for about $79. If you want to run it just in G, you can of course! Personally, I would not buy a G only router today, even if I only wanted to run G, since more and more all new devices will have 802.11n.

Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato or DD-WRT firmware!

If you only need a G-router, this is THE router to buy! Super stable!

How fast is you Internet connection?

Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato or DD-WRT firmware!

If you only need a G-router, this is THE router to buy! Super stable!

I'm really trying to avoid flashing firmware with third party firmware, I'm not looking to void my warranty.

I've researched the DLINK routers, I looked on there forum as well, it looks like lots of users complain of dropped connection regardless of which revision (on the 615). Also on there forum I'm not seeing many solutions being offered to issues being posted.

So at this point with Dlink off the table, and LInksys off the table I am really limiting my self to going back to Netgear but a different model maybe. If not Netgear then Asus, but I've seen so many people saying that the default firmware leaves much to be desired with Asus.

Nothing wrong using third-party firmware to enhance the router performance. Just makes what's available that is disabled by the stock firmware enabled. That's about it. Not going to make bad hardware shine. If the router was lousy prior these free 3rd party firmware not going to make it work right. Might as well return the router or just buy one that works.

I personally I tried all the major players. I've settled on Belkin N+ but I will not use that for 802.11g. It works better in 802.11n only mode. Gig WAN to LAN and versa very too at times very quick for 266MHz NPU with 32MB or RAM. If there was away to increase the throughput then it would really beat some of these higher price home routers.

Nothing wrong using third-party firmware to enhance the router performance. Just makes what's available that is disabled by the stock firmware enabled. That's about it. Not going to make bad hardware shine. If the router was lousy prior these free 3rd party firmware not going to make it work right. Might as well return the router or just buy one that works.

I personally I tried all the major players. I've settled on Belkin N+ but I will not use that for 802.11g. It works better in 802.11n only mode. Gig WAN to LAN and versa very too at times very quick for 266MHz NPU with 32MB or RAM. If there was away to increase the throughput then it would really beat some of these higher price home routers.

Thanks for the reply, I'm not trying to insinuate that there is anything wrong with third party firmware. I'm sure they work fine for those who choose to run them.

I think I'm just going to order the Dlink 601 online, and see how it does, at this price everything has bad reviews. The main reason I posted here instead of just trying these out for my own is availability of product where I live. I live in the middle of nowhere, the only big box stores here are Target and Walmart, everything else is either an hour drive or ordering online. Between the 2 stores you can get Netgear at wal-mart and a few Linksys and Belkin. Target only stocks Linksys and a couple Belkin products, thus why I even bothered trying the Linksys WRT54G2.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!