What's new

Amazon Sidewalk Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
Placeholder - notice this isn't in the general wireless, security, or smart home forums, so consider that very carefully...

My ISP has something that is on one hand very different but on the other, very similar. The ISP cable modem/wifi router has the option to share wifi with all other customers that are in the vicinity of your wifi network. For this, a common SSID is configured by default. In exchange, you can utilize the wifi signals from other customers that have this option activated accross the country. The prerequisite to this is that you activate this functionality in your own modem/router. I have everything switched off, both the wifi functionality and the sharing functionality. I feel very uncomfortable having anyone using my wifi network without prior consent. The ISP claims the shared wifi is fully isolated but since it is the same hardware, how do you know for sure?