What's new

any case looking like DS409slim?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nalooti

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I purchased a Popcorn Hour (NMT) and streaming from my PC with SMB and UPnP works fine. However, I had to install the MyiHome free UPnP server on my XP pro in order for the UPnP to work with the NMT.

What is interesting with the NMT (Networked Media Tank aka PCH) is that it's open so I can install any jukebox for music/video I want. However the installation requires either to have an internal disk into the NMT (which is possible but I don't like) or to install the jukebox softs in the PC (or any server machine like a NAS).

I wanted also to buy the DS409slim from Synology for its low power and silent operation (I'm for 2.5" drives in general). However, the OS is Linux and modification/soft installation, is not straightforward. Not that I'm against Linux, but there are not that much soft I want available and anyway, installing anything on a pre-installed NAS whether XP or Linux must be done through some wholes of the NAS system (I mean you should get access to the raw system to do it which is not obvious).

So I'd like to ask if anyone has any experience combining the Syno and the NMT. Specially, I'd like to know:

1/ Does the integrated UPnP on the Syno works with the NMT ?
2/ If not what UPnP server can be installed on it?
3/ What kind of (free) Jukebox for music/video exists or can be installed on the Syno, compatible with the NMT?

And finally my last question related to my post' subject.
I wonder if I'd not be better to build my own NAS with a case looking like the DS409slim. Why ? because I'd install the OS I want and will be free to install any soft/freeware/jukebox I like. So my question:

4/ Does anyone know any case looking like the DS409slim for building a similar NAS ? If you already have also a motherboard ref. I'm very interested to know.

Thanks
nalooti

Hi nalooti:
Syonlogy DSM 2.2 (also available for DS409 Slim) containes a DLNA certificatied Media Server which works very well with Popcorn Horu A100/A110.

All media file formats supported by Popcorn Hour will be recognized and indexed.

Hi nalooti:
Syonlogy DSM 2.2 (also available for DS409 Slim) containes a DLNA certificatied Media Server which works very well with Popcorn Horu A100/A110.

All media file formats supported by Popcorn Hour will be recognized and indexed.

Hi syno.allen
thanks for the reply.

Good news. But how about music and video jukeboxes ? Are there any available as a plugin to the DSM2.2 (what is it?) or as a standalone application?

Actually MyiHome which can be installed on a PC running XP (not on Synology as far as I know), has 2 plugins I like: Musicjukebox and Moviejukebox. They give you a nice presentation of your media (movie/music covers, search, etc.)

I'm not looking for the exact replication of these plugins, something similar would be fine.

thanks again
nalooti

It looks like the myiHome works as Media Server for NMT which has similar purpose as Synology builtin Media Server.

It seems NMT will have some skinning ability when working with myiHome/MusichJukebox. It might be difficult to support in Synology DS as it's a special extension for NMT.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!