What's new

Anyway to enable VPN server in AccessPoint mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dsmith

New Around Here
I have a network set up that requires connecting two routers. The main router is DHCP enabled, and the 2nd router is an ASUS AC68U with Merlin FW on it. I want to use the 2nd router as a VPN server. I connect the two routers from LAN port to LAN port. I tried to put the ASUS in router model and disabled WAN and disabled DHCP. Even with that I couldn't get the ASUS router to bridge correctly and 'see' the external WAN address. When trying to set up VPN server, I got errors on the ASUS Merlin stating: "multiple-NAT environment." and the router has a private IP address. I tried to put the ASUS router in the AccessPoint model, everything else works but then VPN was not nolonger available. I also want to enable DDNS and encountered the same issue.

I'm not a network expert and I'm new to ASUS Merlin. I had a old router running DDWRT. With DDWRT, I was able to accomplish this same setup with no issue. If I disable the WAN function and set the 2nd router to bridge network mode, I can still have VPN and DDNS functions in DDWRT.

I apologize if my question sound dumb. I appreciate any help I can get on either enabling the VPN function in the AccessPoint mode or ways to correctly configure the Router Mode.