What's new

Asus AC86U with strange problem...?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lostindark

Regular Contributor
Till yesterday I've using AC87u with 69_2 without any problems, yesterday I've replace it with my new AC86U.

Everything works fine with latest ASUS firmware but I have one problem..

All my devices works fine, just my old Samsung Tab S has a strange wifi speed at 5G and 2G.

Internet is awful and shows my something like 40mbps - 27mpbs - 13 mpbs speed between tablet and router.

This is information from the tablet but on the router it shows more then 500mbps, but real speed is slow.

Is there any one who has similar problem?

Best Regards,

Till yesterday I've using AC87u with 69_2 without any problems, yesterday I've replace it with my new AC86U.

All my devices works fine, just my old Samsung Tab S has a strange wifi speed at 5G and 2G.

Internet is awful and shows my something like 40mbps - 27mpbs - 13 mpbs speed between tablet and router.

This is information from the tablet but on the router it shows more then 500mbps, but real speed is slow.

Best Regards,

Could you send feedback with system log, wifi log by feedback function ?

Try disabling Airtime Fairness and Implicit (or Universal) Beamforming.

Also make sure you forget the wifi network and reconfigure it on your tablet if you reused the same SSID as before.

Did you setup via the mobile app? Had a ton of issues with a new AC86U (being my first Asus router) and only after restore to factory using a desktop browser, firmware recovery and update the firmware again, with factory initialise after the firmware re-flashed (did it twice on the side of caution), did different problems go away. Suspect the app may be buggy on the firmware update that is part of the new setup.

Firmware recovery was done as before that attempted to solve the problems with the Merlin firmware flash (via desktop browser) and this message appeared,
"Note: the router you are using is not an ASUS device or has not been authorised by ASUS. ASUSWRT might not work properly on this device."

Now the AC86U is stable. Coming from AirPort routers just did not expect the firmware update to be this much trouble.

Try disabling Airtime Fairness and Implicit (or Universal) Beamforming.

Also make sure you forget the wifi network and reconfigure it on your tablet if you reused the same SSID as before.

Thanks for advice i'll check this. Actualy I've already reconfigure the network on the tablet but the result is the same.

Did you setup via the mobile app? Had a ton of issues with a new AC86U (being my first Asus router) and only after restore to factory using a desktop browser, firmware recovery and update the firmware again, with factory initialise after the firmware re-flashed (did it twice on the side of caution), did different problems go away. Suspect the app may be buggy on the firmware update that is part of the new setup.

Firmware recovery was done as before that attempted to solve the problems with the Merlin firmware flash (via desktop browser) and this message appeared,
"Note: the router you are using is not an ASUS device or has not been authorised by ASUS. ASUSWRT might not work properly on this device."

Now the AC86U is stable. Coming from AirPort routers just did not expect the firmware update to be this much trouble.

I've configure the router through desktop not mobile, but after every update I've done restore to factory settings and again by hand enter all settings again.
Till the moment router goes well except this problem with my tablet.
But you are right I have very bad experience with AC87U like firmware, only with last firmware from Merlin 69_2 goes smooth.
Actually I have some experience from Synology NAS and everything there is solid rock.
I wish to say that for ASUS .. but..

Best Regards,

Could it be an Airtime Fairness issue? Try disabling Wireless/Professional/Airtime Fairness per band.

Oops, never mind.

OE

Is there anything unusual in the logs (either the primary log or wireless log)?

After put to disable Airtime fairless and new assigment to wifi network my tab s now show 866mbps .. and the speed is fast.

Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk

@arthurlien , a lot of users have experienced wireless issues due to Airtime Fairness since that option was added. I would recommend disabling it by default.

@arthurlien , a lot of users have experienced wireless issues due to Airtime Fairness since that option was added. I would recommend disabling it by default.
What this option due ?

ps.
ok i read about this. IMO problem is some devices (compatibility), not function.

ok i read about this. IMO problem is some devices (compatibility), not function.

Correct. On paper, it looks like a good idea. But in practice, it's like MU-MIMO: highly reliant on proper client compatibility. So far, a lot of cheap wifi interfaces (as used in printers, thermostats, etc...) are having trouble with it.

.. Actually the problem still exist .. when I moving to 4-5 meters away from the router and the problem is there again.
Now showing speed is better 174mpbs -234mpbs.. but traffic is poor. Also my Samsung S7 far away from the tablet on the same network doesn't have any problem.
But I see some other thing, when I revert this option (Airtime Fairless) to Enable, modulation was set to 11ac ( I speak only for 5Ghz network) by itself.
And than internet get better.. Showing speed on the tablet was 600 mpbs but traffic was ok. Then I've change modulation to 1024.. and problem comes again.

How the modulation reflect to this old devices.. ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!