What's new

ASUS DSL-AC68U as WAP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skeptical.me

Very Senior Member
Is it possible to use a DSL-AC68U as a WAP, without using the modem? I don't see any setting in the GUI that allows me to do this so I'm guessing the answer is no, but I thought I'd just clarifying it.

I don't know about the DSL-AC68U specifically, but usually it's possible even when the device in question doesn't have an explicit "AP mode".

Just configure it with a fixed IP address, turn off its DHCP server, unplug its WAN connection and use one of its LAN ports to uplink to your main router. Simples.

I don't know about the DSL-AC68U specifically, but usually it's possible even when the device in question doesn't have an explicit "AP mode".

Just configure it with a fixed IP address, turn off its DHCP server, unplug its WAN connection and use one of its LAN ports to uplink to your main router. Simples.

Thanks Colin,

I'll try that and see how it goes.

I purchased this DSL-AC68U to replace my ISP's Modem/Router but at first I thought it had increased my line speed but unfortunately it actually decreased it. So, I'm in two minds to either use it as a WAP or just sell it and purchase a RT-AC68U so I can use Merlin on it as well.

Thanks for the help :)

Last edited:

Okay, so I had and IP of 192.168.2.1, and I disabled DHCP and the router is working as a AP but I can't access the routers UI, is that normal?

Okay, so I had and IP of 192.168.2.1, and I disabled DHCP and the router is working as a AP but I can't access the routers UI, is that normal?
If the IP range of your upstream router's LAN is something like 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 you would have to use an unused address in that range for the DSL-AC68U. You can't use 192.168.2.1.

Whatever address you choose just make sure that it can't be used by some other device. This is normally done by changing the DHCP pool on the router to something like 192.168.1.20 to 192.168.1.254. That gives you addresses from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.19 that you can statically assign on non-DHCP clients (like your AP). I suggest you use 192.168.1.2.

If the IP range of your upstream router's LAN is something like 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 you would have to use an unused address in that range for the DSL-AC68U. You can't use 192.168.2.1.

Whatever address you choose just make sure that it can't be used by some other device. This is normally done by changing the DHCP pool on the router to something like 192.168.1.20 to 192.168.1.254. That gives you addresses from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.19 that you can statically assign on non-DHCP clients (like your AP). I suggest you use 192.168.1.2.

Of course, I'm a dill. Thanks mate.

Let us know how you get on.

I've decided to sell the DSL-AC68U and RT-AC86U and purchase a RT-AX88U, use my ISP's Modem/Router (as it has free 4G backup when the network goes down) and use my Linksys range extender for a better signal at the front of the house. I think that'll suite my needs best. Plus I'll have a much more powerful router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's certainly looks like a beast of a router :). A bit out of my price range though.

Yeah, it is pricey, but I don't have too much debt so I can sell the other routers and pay the balance without issue. However, since the dollar has plummeted in Australia I now pause and think before I upgrade. I won't be able to upgrade each year. I mean the iPhone XS Max 256GB I purchased on a plan will cost me near $2000AUD by the end of the contract, that's ridicules.

I've decided to sell the DSL-AC68U and RT-AC86U and purchase a RT-AX88U, use my ISP's Modem/Router (as it has free 4G backup when the network goes down) and use my Linksys range extender for a better signal at the front of the house.
I'm not seeing the advantage. If you must rearrange why not use use the existing AC86U rather than replace it with the AX88U?

I'm not seeing the advantage. If you must rearrange why not use use the existing AC86U rather than replace it with the AX88U?

Because I want too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm looking forward to hearing that it's all you hoped for and more!

I'm looking forward to hearing that it's all you hoped for and more!

This router is fantastic. I have had a few bugs, but nothing that can't be solved.

The best thing is the extra Processing power and RAM seem to have increased my Bandwidth when using ProtonVPN. Which is excellent as I always use a VPN. Excellent router.