What's new

ASUS headache - Help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Am thinking that I am completely useless here. Mistook the LED off button for the WPS button. Now done a proper hard reset and it has come up with the GUI.
Are you now back at the router's first-time setup page? What is the default IP address?

Are you now back at the router's first-time setup page? What is the default IP address?
Yes, I am. It is 192.168.1.1 - I am fairly sure that it has been this from new. It is possible that I changed it (it is nearly 2 years since I originally set it up) but I don't think I did.

Yes, I am. It is 192.168.1.1 - I am fairly sure that it has been this from new. It is possible that I changed it (it is nearly 2 years since I originally set it up) but I don't think I did.
Thanks. From the thread linked to in post #52 it seems like some of the early versions of the RT-AC86U (UK versions?) were hard-coded with 192.168.1.1, the same as other Asus models. But it looks like Asus subsequently changed the default IP address to 192.168.50.1 in later versions.

Fair enough. It looks like your code has completely wiped the memory - so I will now set it all up again and see what happens. Whether that will stop it doing its crazy things that it kept doing remains to be seen, but hopefully any corrupted files in the memory will now have been completely wiped.

Thanks.

It looks like your code has completely wiped the memory - so I will now set it all up again and see what happens.
As noted above you never entered the code I posted. So the wiped memory came from you doing the WPS reset.

As noted above you never entered the code I posted. So the wiped memory came from you doing the WPS reset.
So presumably the hard reset when I actually did it properly did what the reset via the GUI didn’t do. Fingers crossed it will now work

Thanks

So presumably the hard reset when I actually did it properly did what the reset via the GUI didn’t do. Fingers crossed it will now work
Please report back and let us know if this fixed the problem with the router "remembering" the old devices.

Please report back and let us know if this fixed the problem with the router "remembering" the old devices.
No sign of previous devices left in the memory. The proper hard reset seems to have wiped them where the factory reset (with initialize box ticked) via the GUI failed.

I have actually gone back to my original SSID on the WiFi to save me having to reset all of my devices. It seems to be working fine and various things that had stopped working are now OK like the traffic analyser statistics page.

I think something got corrupted which has now been wiped and it is back to normal. As originally suggested, I am running the second router as an access point rather than a mesh node - which all seems to work well. Fingers crossed.

On a slightly different note, BT are supposed to be installing a new FTTP connection and have sent me a BT smart hub 2. Does anyone know if I can just connect the new connection (when it eventually materialises) directly to my Asus setup? or do I have to go via the BT hub? Or should I use the BT hub in preference?

Is the BT smart hub 2 an ONT? Or an ONT/router?. Either way, I would suggest to continue using your own hardware for your devices and connect to the new FFTP connection with whatever the ISP requires. But, if you can, put that ISP required equipment in Bridge mode, if needed ( a straight ONT doesn't need it). :)

Is the BT smart hub 2 an ONT? Or an ONT/router?. Either way, I would suggest to continue using your own hardware for your devices and connect to the new FFTP connection with whatever the ISP requires. But, if you can, put that ISP required equipment in Bridge mode, if needed ( a straight ONT doesn't need it). :)
Hi. Not sure. Probably just a router - in which case I can use my own. The documentation is very poor and doesn't really say. I might end up having to use it to connect my telephone.

Unfortunately we have an issue connecting the fibre now because our connection from the pole runs underground and the open reach guys wanted to just connect it to the top of my garage roof - passing through 2 birch trees. Not clever, so waiting for a survey from another department of open reach. Oh well. On hold for the moment.

Asus router seems stable for now though, thank goodness. Hope I am not speaking too soon there!

So, for anyone who is interested (and this will now be in the wrong forum completely) our FTTP broadband has been installed. The open reach people just plugged in the BT hub and left. It is possible to connect to your own router - just plug the ethernet cable into the WAN socket and set it up as a PPPoE connection. Username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT. Works fine - BT hub packed back up in its box!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!