What's new

Asus RT-AC1200G+ forward wake on lan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

quaylar

New Around Here
Hi!

Looking for a way to make my Asus router forward wake on lan packets from the WAN port to my local network, I stumbled over several threads in this forum.
There seem to be a lot of different solutions, yet none that might work with stock firmware of Asus routers, respectively providing the possibility to wake up _any_ computer on the local network.

Let me briefly describe the scenario I'd like to implement, I actually think that it is not that exotic:

- I manage a small network of office computers, and want to be able to wake up any of them remotely.
- I am using TeamViewer to do that at the moment - TeamViewer on every PC will register that device's MAC somehow with TeamViewer Cloud services - so essentially in the management application of TeamViewer I have a list of all the PCs I manage, and I can "right-click" and "wake" them.
- This will issue a magic packet to the routers public static IP, port 7, containing that PCs MAC address (like its supposed to be).
- Now, I need that packet to be forwarded to the local networks broadcast IP. It is not sufficient to just forward to a single PCs IP, since that would only allow me to wake up that particular PC. Maybe I could go around that by using n different ports for n different PCs to wake up, and configure all those port forwardings in the router - but that is cumbersome.
- So my first guess was: Forward anything with dport 7 to 192.168.1.255 or 255.255.255.255. I can set that forarding rule, but I can see that the firewall is DROPing those in the system log. So apparently there is some built-in firewall rule which does not allow forwarding to "broadcast-any" and neither directed broadcasts.
- What I can do: forward to 192.168.1.254 (for example) and set a static arp entry that will resolve to the broadcast MAC address. This works (verified) but forces me to set that static entry on every reboot.
- I tried to add a firewall rule to allow dport 7 to be forwarded to either of the 2 broadcast IPs above, but the router interface would not allow me to do that with the error message "not a valid IP address".

Now, I am aware that some people get this to work with a single PC - using a static DHCP binding which will always resolve to the MAC address of that PC, thus making the port forward to that IP work.
I can also see that some are exposing the routers management interface to the internet - and using the "Network Tools" utility in the webinterface - I dont want to do that.
Some are VPNing into the router, then using the interface or wakeOnLan CLI tools - I also dont want to do that. I do want to provide some employees with the possibility to remotely wake their PCs and work from home, thus the most user-friendly solution would be to let them use TeamViewer as well.

So it actually boils down to: How do I make the Asus router forward all dstPort 7 packets to either 255.255.255.255 or 192.168.1.255?
Or: How do I persist that static arp entry with stock firmware?
Or: Did I miss something? Is there an easier way to accomplish this? Maybe I am thinking too complicated.

Some answers regarding this topic suggest that it is not a smart idea to forward to the local network's broadcast address, since random port-scans on the internet might wake up local PCs. I dont see that issue, since those port-scans wouldn't issue valid magic packets (i.e. contain MAC addresses valid for my local LAN). That being said: Yes I agree it is still not a great idea to forward anything to the LANs broadcast address, but I might be able to restrict the forwarding to a few selected source IPs, so I can live with that.

Anybody any hint on how to accomplish that? I cannot imagine that I am the only one trying to achieve something like that?