What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm at over 4 days of uptime on the latest firmware yet I had reboots on the prior one. It's going to be fun tracking this one down.

Something strange. I don't see how Wired file copy can reboot the router

The filesystem access for NTFS is handled through a proprietary kernel module (ufsd.ko). If that module crashes, it crashes the whole router since it's a kernel module, leading to the automated reboot.

At me 374.40_alpha8 ipv6 is not working...
-WAN Connection Type:pPPoE
IPV6
-Connection type: NATIVE
-Interface: PPP
-DHCP-PD: ENABLE
Back to 583 and IPV6 works perfectly.

Was it working with Asus's 4422 or 4561?

Yes I know I could jump back a few releases to a stable release but that defeats the object of trying to identify what might be causing it.

Right on. I appreciate the time people have put in testing those test builds in an effort to at least pinpoint the source of the crashes - thank you guys!. Sadly, no result so far. Let's hope Asus will have better luck than me.

What would be ideal would be for someone's router to crash while the router is connected over a serial connection. I don't think any of the router tinkerers/devs out there beside me can do that, and since I only got one crash in a whole week, that's not an alternative :(

The filesystem access for NTFS is handled through a proprietary kernel module (ufsd.ko). If that module crashes, it crashes the whole router since it's a kernel module, leading to the automated reboot.

Sure, but this an external Synology NAS to my wired laptop transfer.

Last edited:
Lockups with USB seem to be resolved with Alpha 8

I just upgraded to Alpha 8. Everything seems to be working fine. I've enabled Time machine and Upnp, etc. HD is NTFS.
Thank you very much for your firmware, and for everything you do for this community.
Spinman

:( - 68u Router Rebooted after about 12 hours on Alpha 8 - going back to Alpha 4 to test again.

PS - the two 66u's (AP Mode) have been running for 25 hours without reboot since their upgrade to Alpha 4

Last edited:
Well didn't last long. Been on alpha8 for about 2.5 hours and encountered first reboot.

Which strangely was the same time my son went outside with his iphone but not far enough that he would have lost contact.

I remember someone else mentioning a common thing with iphones/ipads causing a reboot. Could just be a fluke.

Martin

:( - 68u Router Rebooted after about 12 hours on Alpha 8 - going back to Alpha 4 to test again.

PS - the two 66u's (AP Mode) have been running for 25 hours without reboot since their upgrade to Alpha 4

Is the reboot issue exclusive to the ac68u?

I'd never noticed any reboots on the 66u's (when it was my main Router and one AP) but it was on older Merlin firmware. I only noticed the rebooting issue after adding the new 68u a couple of weeks ago as the main Router and loaded the latest official firmware.... and then started having problems with it reboot.... I do know that at least one (and probably both) of the 66u's had rebooted at least once when on the later official firmware as the Uptime was shorter than it should have been but I did not notice as it was just an AP.

They are now all running Alpha4 and unless Merlin wants another build tested I leave them for a few days and see how they go.

Sure, but this an external Synology NAS to my wired laptop transfer.

Then you are not talking about the same thing the rest of us are here.

Then you are not talking about the same thing the rest of us are here.

You're right, I apologize for the confusion.

My point was, it rebooted even without using the onboard USB ports. Must be something else in addition to the NTFS driver issue.

I'll report back if there are any issues using Alpha 8.

Could the reboots be caused by a device dropping out of range on the 5GHz band and trying to switch to 2.4? (or the other way around, although usually 2.4 has better range.)
Personally I have separate SSIDs for each band. One Guest network.
I have MAC filtering enabled and use static DHCP (manually assigned reservations from the router). Through those, I only allow each of my devices to connect to only one of the two bands. So I never have any device confused about which band it should connect to, or trying to jump from one band to the other.
And I never had any random reboots, with the current firmware or any of the previous ones.

(2 USB flash drives plugged in, no problems there either)

You're right, I apologize for the confusion.

My point was, it rebooted even without using the onboard USB ports. Must be something else in addition to the NTFS driver issue.

I'll report back if there are any issues using Alpha 8.

Yes, it was definitely two separate issue, since the NTFS issue completely went away after I reverted the ufsd driver in alpha8, but people who had the random reboots were still experiencing it.

Nope. I hv a ac68r and it reboots too. No usb drive Aicloud off no FTP using 5g and 2.4g.

Oops sorry. This was the response to the question on if reboot is confined to the u model only. Still new here and learning the forum GUI

Could the reboots be caused by a device dropping out of range on the 5GHz band and trying to switch to 2.4 Hz]

Has any had the reboots with wifi off? It seems that many people suspect reboots when they drop off wifi. That should be easy to though.

What would be ideal would be for someone's router to crash while the router is connected over a serial connection. I don't think any of the router tinkerers/devs out there beside me can do that, and since I only got one crash in a whole week, that's not an alternative :(

I'm not seeing a RS232 port on my 68U -- you going over USB?

Could the reboots be caused by a device dropping out of range on the 5GHz band and trying to switch to 2.4 Hz
A samsung and an iphone phone switch between bands all the time and i have no reboots.

I also dont have any hdds conected to the router.

Beamforming is also disabled on both bands.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!