What's new

Asus RT-AC86U not getting maximum speeds on gigabit fibre

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't think so. Can you see how Faria resolved his issue now? I told you every ISP has different method of Gigabit Internet.
Yes, I saw the post. Well at least problem is solved, thanks for your education and occasional it is easy to overlook.

Last edited:
Hi folks,

Wondering if you're able to help. Recently upgraded from the ISP-provided router for our gigabit fibre to the Asus RT-AC86U.

With the default settings, I'm only getting about 300/450 mbps download/upload speeds on both wireless and wired (Cat 5e) connections for a range of devices - Windows 10, MAC OS X, iOS.

I expected to get at least 650-750 download speeds at worst when I bought this so was wondering if it's my router configuration capping it somehow?

Thanks in advance!

Did u fix this?

I have resolved my half speed issue this weekend but i'm afraid i can't pinpoint what the issue was.
I have disabled everything that i thought was related to hardware acceleration on the router but still had half speed.
While doing this i keeped checking the Hardware acceleration in Tools, it always showed : Runner: Disabled - Flow Cache: Enabled or Runner: Disabled (QoS) - Flow Cache: Enabled
Then i opt out of the Trend Micro Eula and bang , Runner: Enabled - Flow Cache: Enabled, @ this stage after a reboot i got my internet to full speed.

Since then i have been enabling the services that i disabled,Trend -Micro Stuff,Qos Jumbo Frame, Spanning-Tree Protocol , Traffic Analyzer ,etc but now i m getting full speed either with Runner: Enabled or Disabled , so i don't know where the issue was.
What i do know is that i had this problem since i got the RT-AC86U about 4 months ago, the device has been updated in a timely maner wiped several times and as i stated before the RT-AC87U (backup device) did not have this issue .
thanks.
Hey Faria,

I just bought Ac87u and not getting full speed and then question which is best setting for wifi and lan and wps .do you know about merlin firmware is that worth to change ?

I have resolved my half speed issue this weekend but i'm afraid i can't pinpoint what the issue was.
I have disabled everything that i thought was related to hardware acceleration on the router but still had half speed.
While doing this i keeped checking the Hardware acceleration in Tools, it always showed : Runner: Disabled - Flow Cache: Enabled or Runner: Disabled (QoS) - Flow Cache: Enabled
Then i opt out of the Trend Micro Eula and bang , Runner: Enabled - Flow Cache: Enabled, @ this stage after a reboot i got my internet to full speed.

Since then i have been enabling the services that i disabled,Trend -Micro Stuff,Qos Jumbo Frame, Spanning-Tree Protocol , Traffic Analyzer ,etc but now i m getting full speed either with Runner: Enabled or Disabled , so i don't know where the issue was.
What i do know is that i had this problem since i got the RT-AC86U about 4 months ago, the device has been updated in a timely maner wiped several times and as i stated before the RT-AC87U (backup device) did not have this issue .
thanks.
I have the RT-86U and I can't find the settings for Runner and Flow Cache...Can someone point me to them? I was able to opt out of the Trend Micro EULA

I have the RT-86U and I can't find the settings for Runner and Flow Cache...Can someone point me to them? I was able to opt out of the Trend Micro EULA

I don’t know that there are manual settings for these and don’t think you can see whether they are enabled or not unless using Merlin firmware. I think I read that somewhere here. My understanding is that hardware acceleration is on always but enabling aiprotect will disable it.

I am confused now...should turn on AIProtect or leave it off. I am able to get close to 1G speeds via ethernet, but when I am on the wireless I only get 300Mbs on 5Mhz

I am confused now...should turn on AIProtect or leave it off. I am able to get close to 1G speeds via ethernet, but when I am on the wireless I only get 300Mbs on 5Mhz
Wireless speeds will not be nearly as high as ethernet; just slightly less than 1/2 if you're luck on 5g ac

I would not advice turning on AIProtect. First and foremost because of privacy concerns. Second: what it aims it's CPU intensive and I would rather take good care of every device in the house rather than hope a not that powerful CPU from a router can handle that.
If you're getting full 1G wired=be happy!
300mbps over wireless can be from so many reasons:
- N-only network adapter on your device. Are you sure you have an AC adapter and it does negotiate high speed? Most adapters will show you 866mbps.
- not that powerful CPU on the device. Most low end phones, tablets, laptops are not powerful enough.
- AC settings. And here there is too much to cover!

My Skylake I7 with an Intel 8265 has no problems in reaching 650mbps over an 866mbps wireless link.

I have Bell Gigabit (Fiber) internet with Home Hub 3000 and connected to Asus RT-AC86U (Router mode) via CAT5e. I disabled the WiFi on the HomeHub and followed most (if not all) of the recommendations found in this Forum to set STP = OFF and QoS = OFF, but still not able to get anything higher than 450Mbps/500Mbps (DL/UL) on speedtest.net (both Macbook Air mid-2013 running Windows 10 and iPhone XS). On Windows 10, I did get 866.5Mbps under WiFi Status - Speed.

Are the "Runner" and "Flow Cache" settings only available for Merlin firmware (not the Asus firmware)? Or any other recommendations? Thanks!

Johnny

Are the "Runner" and "Flow Cache" settings only available for Merlin firmware (not the Asus firmware)?

Hardware acceleration has some restrictions. For instance, it will get automatically disabled if you use Traditional QoS or Bandwidth Limiter.

Hardware acceleration has some restrictions. For instance, it will get automatically disabled if you use Traditional QoS or Bandwidth Limiter.

I disabled QoS and BW limiter.

So can I use ssh to change the Runner and Cache Flow settings? If so please provide the coding. Tks

I disabled QoS and BW limiter.

So can I use ssh to change the Runner and Cache Flow settings? If so please provide the coding. Tks

These are automatically enabled or disabled as needed.

I have Bell Gigabit (Fiber) internet with Home Hub 3000 and connected to Asus RT-AC86U (Router mode) via CAT5e. I disabled the WiFi on the HomeHub and followed most (if not all) of the recommendations found in this Forum to set STP = OFF and QoS = OFF, but still not able to get anything higher than 450Mbps/500Mbps (DL/UL) on speedtest.net (both Macbook Air mid-2013 running Windows 10 and iPhone XS). On Windows 10, I did get 866.5Mbps under WiFi Status - Speed.

Are the "Runner" and "Flow Cache" settings only available for Merlin firmware (not the Asus firmware)? Or any other recommendations? Thanks!

Johnny
You did not mention what version of firmware you are using. If you are not using, at least, the 3.0.0.4.384.81369 Asus you should upgrade. Your speed test should be done from a wired PC. And you might try another Ethernet cable between the ONT/Modem and the AC86U. Look into getting the Home Hub 3000 in PPPoE passthrough mode

You did not mention what version of firmware you are using. If you are not using, at least, the 3.0.0.4.384.81369 Asus you should upgrade. Your speed test should be done from a wired PC. And you might try another Ethernet cable between the ONT/Modem and the AC86U. Look into getting the Home Hub 3000 in PPPoE passthrough mode

My ASUS firmware version is 3.0.0.4.384.81792 (latest).

For the Bell Home Hub do you mean I should disable DHCP and do PPPoE passthru instead?

The bottom line is no matter what I did on the settings, I never achieve anything better than 400Mbps Download/500Mbps Upload even though my internet package is for 1Gbps DL/750Mbps UL. I wonder if it is due to so many neighbors have 5G WiFi causing interference inside my house.

My ASUS firmware version is 3.0.0.4.384.81792 (latest).

For the Bell Home Hub do you mean I should disable DHCP and do PPPoE passthru instead?

The bottom line is no matter what I did on the settings, I never achieve anything better than 400Mbps Download/500Mbps Upload even though my internet package is for 1Gbps DL/750Mbps UL. I wonder if it is due to so many neighbors have 5G WiFi causing interference inside my house.

What do you measure with a PC wired to the ISP box? ...and wired to your 86U?

OE

What do you measure with a PC wired to the ISP box? ...and wired to your 86U?

OE

My Macbook doesn't have wired connection so I used 5G to do the speedtest.net thing. I have ordered an Ethernet Adaptor for wired connection use. However my Asus Router web portal (under Clients List) showed 866.7/866.7 - maybe just theoretical maximum speed?

My Macbook doesn't have wired connection so I used 5G to do the speedtest.net thing. I have ordered an Ethernet Adaptor for wired connection use. However my Asus Router web portal (under Clients List) showed 866.7/866.7 - maybe just theoretical maximum speed?

BTW my closest server is around 35km away so maybe that's the reason for low measured speed?

866 is the link rate... that wireless client is connecting at 866, which is the max link rate for a 2 stream/2 antenna 5.0 AC client.

But that is not your effective Internet down/up speed... it could be 10/1!

By wiring a Gigabit Ethernet PC adapter to the ISP box, you can get your best delivered Internet speed measurement not subject to the vagaries of a WiFi connection and not subject to issues in your router, etc.

OE

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!