What's new

Asus RT-AC87 with 378.55_0 vs. Asus RT-AC66 with Fork 374.43_2-13E1j9527

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

95% of all the routers I purchase are refurbished because of the cost. My experience with the refurb units is that the ones I have received look like new but come in a white box and sometimes without the documentation (CD Rom and/or pamphlet). When I receive these units, I check to see that the units look intact, have the critical parts (antennas, power supplies and router), and the units have to loose or damaged parts. I start the units up and install FW which tells me if the basic functionality is there. I test the ethernet and USB ports for functionality, check that all the lights, power buttons, WPS switches, and WAN port for functionality. I check the memory and CPU diagnostics as much as I can. So far, I have only had one refurbished router, a RT-N66, which I had to return for non-functionality.

The RT-AC87, and the two RT-AC66's I used in this test were refurbished units. The RT-AC68 unit in this testing was a "new" unit (not refurbished). I ordered another refurbished RT-AC68 unit and should be getting that in a few days. If that one tests out ok, I'll install that one at a client location.