What's new

ASUS RT-N56U beta firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just installed 3.0.0.4.253 and looks like they added a couple small things....
(so im making mine a recap of last install.)

Seems to run well, but there are some minor graphic issues...
On QOS, the information overlaps the bottom Help/Support/Search area that has been added (at bottom). Looks like they fixed the Network Map, Traphic Manager, & USB Applications pages that I mentioned on the previous version.

AiRadar appears on the 5.0 tab, but not on the 2.4 tab (don't know if this is only a 5.0 feature or not).

It would also be nice to have the SSID dropped down a line so that the whole SSID can be read and see more characters (10 characters only show).
Another option that would be nice, is to have the log default to the bottom (most recent events) instead of at the top, so you don't have to scroll down to the bottom to see the most current information (similar to how padavans firmware does).
Also it would be nice to have the option to assign a name to DHCP clients so that you can identify them easier. (currently only allows for MAC ID & IP).

Other than that, seems to be running fine.
Thanks for all the work!
Appreciate it!

Just a heads up on this version. It has the latest drivers, but stability is not completely verified. Please use them at your own discretion.

So the previous beta firmware didn't have the latest drivers? I will install this Firmware tonight and will post about it in a week or so. I love 206 it's my favorite thus far, it has allowed me to receive push notification on my iPhone on WI-Fi i don't know why the stock doesn't maybe I got a bad 56U unit?

Hi,

one question regarding the beta firmwares: the standard firmware 1.0.8n included a patch for AirPrint (an option IGMP snooping was introduced). Does AirPrint work flawless with the betas? I did not find the above option so I cannot disable it ...

Cheers,
M.

latest firmware

I had 206 installed but then decided to try 253. Didn't like it, there were a few error messages in the log and too much in the log anyway (when things are running smoothly there's hardly anything there) so I went back to 206. Sorry, I forgot to save the log for 253.
Router seems to have kept the additions that 253 brought (probably what the latest drivers referred to) and is running nicely and stable at it has done before on 206. I like that you get an explanation for what all the options mean!

I use the ASUS with a Technicolor router (former Thomson) 582n in bridge mode.

What made me look for different firmware (other than the official one) was the frequent loses of the DHCP lease (shutting down on signal 15, wanduck restarts, etc). I subsequently spoke to ISP and they thought it might be to do with the bridge template on the Technicolor model. So via telnet we disabled the USB port on the Technicolor model as this was supposedly the thing that was conflicting with the ASUS and causing the ASUS to lose the DHCP lease.

That has indeed reduced the number of "shutting down on signal 15" messages from 10-15 a day to 2-3.
I still don't understand what that message is (google is of no help here) so would be grateful if anybody can help (are 2-3 of these messages a day normal or they shouldn't appear at all? - I wish I knew linux!)

Oct 27 14:38:49 miniupnpd[520]: received signal 15, good-bye
Oct 27 14:38:49 syslog: SNet version started
Oct 27 14:38:49 miniupnpd[528]: HTTP listening on port 38957
Oct 27 14:38:49 miniupnpd[528]: Listening for NAT-PMP traffic on port 5351

The set of digits after miniupnpd changes, the HTTP listening port changes as well, but everything else stays the same across these messages.
Forgot to mention that I've got dynamic IP.

Also, does anybody know why this sequence would appear:
ct 27 15:32:41 dnsmasq-dhcp[440]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.6 d0:23:db:55:40:c6
Oct 27 15:32:41 dnsmasq-dhcp[440]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.6 d0:23:db:55:40:c6 iPhone
Oct 27 15:38:38 dnsmasq-dhcp[440]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.6 d0:23:db:55:40:c6
Oct 27 15:38:38 dnsmasq-dhcp[440]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.6 d0:23:db:55:40:c6 iPhone
Oct 27 15:42:11 dnsmasq-dhcp[440]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.6 d0:23:db:55:40:c6
Oct 27 15:42:11 dnsmasq-dhcp[440]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.6 d0:23:db:55:40:c6 iPhone
Oct 27 15:48:20 dnsmasq-dhcp[440]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.6 d0:23:db:55:40:c6
Oct 27 15:48:20 dnsmasq-dhcp[440]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.6 d0:23:db:55:40:c6 iPhone
Oct 27 16:02:53 dnsmasq-dhcp[440]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.6 d0:23:db:55:40:c6
Oct 27 16:02:53 dnsmasq-dhcp[440]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.6 d0:23:db:55:40:c6 iPhone

I tried resetting the network settings on iOS (6) devices but it didn't change anything. It doesn't cause an issue as such though the iphone and ipad seem to not hold the connection to wireless as they used to. But maybe it's my imagination or iOS6 bug and knowing what the messages above alludes to would help in deciding. Manually allocating DHCP address for iOS devices doesn't make a difference in this respect

Thanks a lot

I get those mac address posting in logs all the time also....Not sure why myself....if anyone could explain , that would be nice...

BTW, I am unable to use DHCP host names. Is DNS working for DHCP hosts?

Since May 2011 when I bought my RT-N56U, I never make hostname resolve working. Am I missing something?

I'm very glad that the DNS issue is solved in 3.0.4.253. Good Job!

Just installed 3.0.0.4.253 and looks like they added a couple small things....
(so im making mine a recap of last install.)

On QOS, the information overlaps the bottom Help/Support/Search area that has been added (at bottom). Looks like they fixed the Network Map, Traphic Manager, & USB Applications pages that I mentioned on the previous version.

AiRadar appears on the 5.0 tab, but not on the 2.4 tab (don't know if this is only a 5.0 feature or not).

It would also be nice to have the SSID dropped down a line so that the whole SSID can be read and see more characters (10 characters only show).
Another option that would be nice, is to have the log default to the bottom (most recent events) instead of at the top, so you don't have to scroll down to the bottom to see the most current information (similar to how padavans firmware does).
Also it would be nice to have the option to assign a name to DHCP clients so that you can identify them easier. (currently only allows for MAC ID & IP).

Thanks for all the work!
Appreciate it!

I installed 253 and experienced some stability issues. It would lose internet connectivity at about the 24 hour mark. The first time it happened, I rebooted the 56U and it was as if it lost all the SSID info as it repeated the setup prompts.
The second time was tonight at about the 24 hour mark. I remembered CL-Jeremy's warning about stability. I have installed the 206 firmware. It seems from my experience 253 needs some more debugging.

I also noticed a general slow down in page loading times as the 24 hour mark approached

Last edited:
FW: 3.0.0.4.253
WAN: PPPoE with VPN+DHCP
IPv6: Native with DHCP-PD + Ethernet interface

LOG:
Nov 4 00:39:19 dhcp6c[965]: client6_send: transmit failed: Network is unreachable
Nov 4 00:41:06 dnsmasq-dhcp[19198]: DHCPINFORM(br0) 192.168.1.2 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Nov 4 00:41:06 dnsmasq-dhcp[19198]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.2 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx MY-PC
Nov 4 00:41:13 dhcp6c[965]: client6_send: transmit failed: Network is unreachable
Nov 4 00:43:19 dhcp6c[965]: client6_send: transmit failed: Network is unreachable
Nov 4 00:45:11 dhcp6c[965]: client6_send: transmit failed: Network is unreachable

just a quick question.

On every router ive owned from the very cheapest supplied by isp to aftermarket there has been a section that shows detailed information on the connection.

I cant seem to find it?

i at least want download and upload speed if not extra information like snr

is there a page iam missing? because im starting to see the easy gui as a limiting factor rather than a plus and i may return the router for a TP-link as my last one was complex but had lots of connection information

thanks

Your might want to specify what firmware your using and what revision....

just a quick question.

On every router ive owned from the very cheapest supplied by isp to aftermarket there has been a section that shows detailed information on the connection.

I cant seem to find it?

i at least want download and upload speed if not extra information like snr

is there a page iam missing? because im starting to see the easy gui as a limiting factor rather than a plus and i may return the router for a TP-link as my last one was complex but had lots of connection information

thanks

If you are referring to the WAN interface, that kind of info (speed) can only be provided by a modem, not by a router. Your TP-Link was probably a modem-router combo.

url/keyword filter

Any chance the devs can do something about the URL/keyword filters?

I had a Netgear for years and to block various adverts I used to add filters, which worked brilliantly, but this seems almost impossible using the RT-N56U.

Forward slashes are illegal characters .... which seems rather ludicrous to me, being that they form part of every web address on the internet. Granted most people just type www and go to the main website, but if you're trying to just block a specific part of a domain, well, you can't with the Asus router :(

Just installed 3.0.0.4.260
(so I'm making mine a recap of last install.)

Seems like these newer releases are coming from the Russian site, so if someone speaks English and Russian, if they could relay this information to the creators, we might be close to a near perfect firmware.

Thanks for all the work!
Appreciate it!

Does it have Parental controls ? Do they work ? Thanks
Yes it does have parental controls but since I don't have anyone but my wife in my house, I never have used them.....If they perform like all other aspects of the firmware, I would think they should work....Give it a shot, if you don't like it you can always revert back to stock with no hassles (ie you use gui like normal, you don't have to telnet or anything like that).

Just tried this, and it seems to be better than the Padavan firmware for me so far.

However..it could just be me but sometimes when I click an option, say parental controls It doesn't load and I have to f5 once or a few times it seems to happen on quite a lot of things.

Secondly is my main issue, I have SERVU FTP running on my server, I think I have tried everything I can to get it working (worked on stock f/w) but I cannot get it to register at all. I have a ddns set up, I have a teamspeak 3 server running and that is forwarded correctly and people can connect via the ddns.

But nobody can connect to the FTP, if I type the local LAN ip in for my server then I can view the FTP, but whenever the ddns address is typed in it takes me to my routers login page (locally), whenever somebody else types in the ddns address it does nothing...but if they type ftp:// then the address it takes them to my routers login page :/

On stock f/w people used to be able to type in my ddns address into a browser and it would prompt them with the servU ftp login.

Help :(.

Ninja edit --------- I think I have it working...needed to port forward 80 to my server, now my dyndns address goes directly to my FTP which is what I wanted..just waiting on a friend to come online and test it !

If this works, apart from the graphical glitches I keep receiving and having to press f5 a few times to get the pages to display its a massive improvement over stock...the main reason I need this f/w is because i get no 3g signal in my house, and on the standard f/w the wifi goes to "sleep" when android screens are turned off, with this FW the wifi connection stays alive and I can recieve emails etc when the screen is off.

Last edited: