What's new

ASUS RT-N56U beta firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

.334 is solid here for me so far. Running Media Server from a USB stick. I did a full settings reset after flashing, as one of the previous versions had messed up the wifi bridge mode somehow.

I've been using this router for a while now but it was being used as an access point with my wired only router taking the load.

Today I removed the wired router and now the ASUS RT-N56U is the main and only device.

I thought I'd do a bit of cleaning up on it and check out some firmwares. It is currently running 1.0.1.3 - would it be suggested that I stick with this 1.x or upgrade to the latest 3.x - I always hate being out of the loop and not knowing how many problems exist. Wondering if I'd be better off just leaving it as is.

I don't use it for any media features, there are no USB devices plugged into it. I would like to do some QoS on it and I don't need a VPN.

I'm finding .334 a vast improvement over previous Asus firmware for the rt-n56u.

If nothing else, Asus is on the right track with this one. It's fast and reliable for me.

I have .334 firmware and IPv6 connections are working on my wired computers.

However, my iPad 3 is now not using IPv6, which it used to do with previous router and iOS versions. The problem is that I've recently upgraded to iOS 6.1, so I don't know if this is a problem with the iPad 3 and iOS 6.1, or if IPv6 is somehow not working on the wireless side of the router for firmware version .334.

Is anyone with an iPad 3 and iOS 6.1 seeing IPv6 working on it? Or not? Just curious if I'm the only one seeing this problem?

arghhh

still having issues as well, everything stays up. no drops, media server good...but i still get bad ping,packet loss etc.... mainly shows up on gaming, a little better but not what it used to be and its wired. maybe i should direct connect and start questioning my isp?

after a reboot everything is temporarily fast again...then seems to slow down. using ping test i go from A to D quality.... so annoying

Netflix (via PS3)

Again, those are all working perfectly with the Beta Version 3.0.0.4_206 firmware.
So you had no problems connecting your PS3. Interesting. I can't get it to authenticate, but I've never tried .206.

Looks like I have much more testing to do...

Also very stable with .334 over here. I didn't mess around with ipv6, but my wifi is nice and stable, and that's the most important to me.

I have .334 firmware and IPv6 connections are working on my wired computers.

However, my iPad 3 is now not using IPv6, which it used to do with previous router and iOS versions. The problem is that I've recently upgraded to iOS 6.1, so I don't know if this is a problem with the iPad 3 and iOS 6.1, or if IPv6 is somehow not working on the wireless side of the router for firmware version .334.

Is anyone with an iPad 3 and iOS 6.1 seeing IPv6 working on it? Or not? Just curious if I'm the only one seeing this problem?

Okay, as a result of sending the bug stack trace from .334 from my log to Jeremy at Asus, he gave me a beta version (.337) that has this problem fixed. My wireless clients are now able to make IPv6 connections, so all good so far with this firmware.

Last edited:
Okay, as a result of sending the bug stack trace from .334 from my log to Jeremy at Asus, he gave me a beta version (.337) that has this problem fixed. My wireless clients are now able to make IPv6 connections, so all good so far with this firmware.
RogerSC, Could you please kindly upload the .337 firmware for us? I would like to test the ipv6 over wifi functionality also as it wasn't working well in .334

its strange, after a reboot i get great speed..ping everything. but it seems to degrade after a day and have to reboot again... anything i could change in settings?

its strange, after a reboot i get great speed..ping everything. but it seems to degrade after a day and have to reboot again... anything i could change in settings?

I have been through 4 routers in my house over the years and this is the same for all of them. I really wish this wasn't an issue in today's routers, but apparently it is. I could reset my modem and router right now and get better ping and speeds, but doing that daily is a hassle.

--
Chris

RogerSC, Could you please kindly upload the .337 firmware for us? I would like to test the ipv6 over wifi functionality also as it wasn't working well in .334

Okay, I'll put it somewhere when I get a chance...the beta firmware does fix exactly that problem

Okay, I'll put it somewhere when I get a chance...the beta firmware does fix exactly that problem

Okay, here it is:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/45839665/RT-N56U_Beta_3.0.0.4_337_20130131.trx

and here's the md5 checksum:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/45839665/RT-N56U_Beta_3.0.0.4_337_20130131.md5

Note that there are no guarantees that there aren't other breakages in this firmware, it is beta. In fact, I wouldn't recommend playing with it unless you are experiencing the specific wireless IPv6 problem at issue.

Last edited:
I have been through 4 routers in my house over the years and this is the same for all of them. I really wish this wasn't an issue in today's routers, but apparently it is. I could reset my modem and router right now and get better ping and speeds, but doing that daily is a hassle.

--
Chris

totally agree, but this is different. it way worse and happens within hours. I used to always test "A" on pingtest.net but now my connection degrades down to a "D" rating. i get packet loss etc. just hope they eventually work this one through.The number of new firmware updates says they are trying at least.